Old 27-02-2012, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Top soil Q

I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1 tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

Old 27-02-2012, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2012 18:35, Pete C wrote:
I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1 tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

I think you'll get roughly a 3ft cube of soil, if that helps.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 27-02-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Feb 27, 6:39*pm, Spider wrote:
On 27/02/2012 18:35, Pete C wrote:

I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1 tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

I think you'll get roughly a 3ft cube of soil, if that helps.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

When I went to school that worked out a cubic yard.
Old 27-02-2012, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1 tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

Why use top soil all the way?

Hardcore, 'shale', then top soil

A near neighbour will be wanting to get rid of something which will go in
the bottom .......................... for FREE

Mike

Old 27-02-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1
tonne bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

Why use top soil all the way?

Hardcore, 'shale', then top soil

A near neighbour will be wanting to get rid of something which will go in
the bottom .......................... for FREE

That was the original idea, however, getting soil in smaller quantities is
too expensive. This bag is £35 delivered. Quality doesn't matter cos it will
have a slab base for a greenhouse on it.
Pete C

Old 27-02-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 6:39 pm, Spider wrote:
On 27/02/2012 18:35, Pete C wrote:

I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1
tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

I think you'll get roughly a 3ft cube of soil, if that helps.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

When I went to school that worked out a cubic yard.

LOL....must have gone to the same school!
Pete C

Old 27-02-2012, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Feb 27, 7:07*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Feb 27, 6:39 pm, Spider wrote:

On 27/02/2012 18:35, Pete C wrote:

I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1
tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

I think you'll get roughly a 3ft cube of soil, if that helps.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

When I went to school that worked out a cubic yard.

LOL....must have gone to the same school!
Pete C

There is no indication re the size of the pond, and what sort of liner
it has, could make a good bog garden, or fitt it to within around 6
inches of the top and make a a plant pond.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:45:47 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

That was the original idea, however, getting soil in smaller quantities is
too expensive. This bag is £35 delivered. Quality doesn't matter cos it will
have a slab base for a greenhouse on it.
Pete C

Don't buy any topsoil then; you're sure to have neighbours wanting to get
rid of old bricks/hardcore. Or ask a local tradesman; they have to pay to
dispose of waste so are often happy to deliver it to you for free.

Janet

Another issue to bear in mind is that topsoil will settle, however
much you tamp it down. Using hardcore as Janet suggests will not only
be a lot cheaper but will lessen the need to leave the area to settle
for an amount of time before slabbing over it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 27-02-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1 tonne
bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

its going to be around 8 cubic feet i.e. slightly less than a cubic meter
which it would be if it were water, but it does rather depend on what sort
of soil it is.

I am surprised you are being sold a weight, this sort of thing is normally
sold by volume

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 28-02-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2012 22:53, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying some topsoil to fill in a pond. It comes in 1
tonne bags. Can anyone give me an idea of the volume?
Thanks
Pete C

its going to be around 8 cubic feet i.e. slightly less than a cubic
meter which it would be if it were water, but it does rather depend on
what sort of soil it is.

I am surprised you are being sold a weight, this sort of thing is
normally sold by volume

I think I'd rather have sand under my greenhouse than topsoil. Could
easily become waterlogged
Old 28-02-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:25:16 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

I think I'd rather have sand under my greenhouse than topsoil. Could
easily become waterlogged

There are also different grades of top soil.
I think we paid £40 ish for a couple of tons suitable for planting in.
It was just dumped though and we had to move it ASAP.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk