Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting spuds..

Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...

Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)

Probably heard that spuds are good at breaking up "new" soil, however I've
always thought it was the gardener with all the work involved that did the
breaking up. :-(
At the very least he is going to have to dig them up at the end.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:45:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote ...

Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)

Probably heard that spuds are good at breaking up "new" soil, however I've
always thought it was the gardener with all the work involved that did the
breaking up. :-(
At the very least he is going to have to dig them up at the end.

This is what I thought too. But he claims to be something of an expert
so was wondering what others thought.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 4, 4:20*pm, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:45:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" *wrote ...

Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)

Probably heard that spuds are good at breaking up "new" soil, however I've
always thought it was the gardener with all the work involved that did the
breaking up. *:-(
At the very least he is going to have to dig them up at the end.

This is what I thought too. But he claims to be something of an expert
so was wondering what others thought.
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

This sounds like the "Irish " method as it was called when I was
young.
You just dig a hole and plant the spud, when it comes up you start to
earth it up till you end up with "Normal" looking rows of potatoes.
Works well.
David Hill @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogga View Post
Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)
It works if you put at least 6inches of compost on top, and carry on earthing up - I did it some years ago as a way of making a new bed.

Depending on the weeds, you may not need to weed - some will struggle with 6 inches of soil on top, others will carry on growing with no problem.
__________________

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

Someone on our allotment has weed killed his plot last autumn and is
planning to plant potatoes by sticking the potato on the ground and
covering it with muck.
I don't think he's planning on digging into the soil at all.

Is this going to work? Will it be effective?
(would it be effective on land not weed killed?)

I think that there might be a problem, not with weeds, but with green
spuds.
Will the potatoes grow upwards where the muck is, where it will be loose
and potatoes would possibly be exposed to daylight? Or grow down into firm
soil?

What I have done last autumn is to place cardboard over my soil and then a
fairly thick layer of manure. When planting time comes I will drill with a
bulb planter through the cardboard for each potato.
I am hoping this will stop weeds, and because I have planted them deeply
the manure on top should have compacted they should grow well below.

Only time will tell.

My first earlies will be planted in the traditional way, can't risk them.

Baz

planting spuds John Price United Kingdom 7 07-04-2012 04:50 PM
Planting spuds Bill Grey United Kingdom 23 10-01-2012 04:12 PM
New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM