Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default planting spuds

Hi

Still very new to this - have just finished double digging a strip of
ground, 5metres by 1 metre, runs north to south. Plan is to divide it
in 3 for rotation purposes. I want to start by planting maincrop
potatoes(Cara) in a third of it. I see varying advice about the
recommended distances between tubers and rows. What would your advice
be for the orientation of the rows, and planting positions?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Potatoes a foot apart, rows two feet apart for maximum crop. NO lime.

If you are out to save money, potaotes are cheap to buy (but easy to
grow)
Your main problem may be irrigation if you live in a hosepipe free
area.
They prefer a lightish soil but you'll get something in most soils.
Dig in loads of crap/compost if you have it.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Price" wrote
Still very new to this - have just finished double digging a strip of
ground, 5metres by 1 metre, runs north to south. Plan is to divide it
in 3 for rotation purposes. I want to start by planting maincrop
potatoes(Cara) in a third of it. I see varying advice about the
recommended distances between tubers and rows. What would your advice
be for the orientation of the rows, and planting positions?

5 sq metres, thats 15 ft by 3 ft in old money so each bed is 5ft x 3ft.
So, at 1.5 ft spacing and 2.5ft between rows I suggest one row of 4 spuds
straight down the middle.

My small allotment (7.5 sq rods) is 187.5 sq metres and other than permanent
planting is divided in a 4 year rotation. One quarter is spuds, so say 30 sq
metres of spuds. Personally with such a tiny plot I would only have planted
earlies (expensive) and not bothered with maincrop (cheap) at all.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHwwwJ83oWo

Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"John Price" wrote
Still very new to this - have just finished double digging a strip of
ground, 5metres by 1 metre, runs north to south. Plan is to divide it
in 3 for rotation purposes. I want to start by planting maincrop
potatoes(Cara) in a third of it. I see varying advice about the
recommended distances between tubers and rows. What would your advice
be for the orientation of the rows, and planting positions?

.. Personally with such a tiny plot
I would only have planted earlies (expensive) and not bothered with
maincrop (cheap) at all.

Yeaah - but I've only just created this patch so I want to get
something in now, it wasn't ready in time for earlies. It's as much
about having the satisfaction of home produced as saving money. This is
just the first of what will eventually be four similar patches. The
second strip will be oduble dug and ready in about a week. I will then
prepare the next two either at the end of the summer or next year -
depending on how I find the time investment balance works out. At this
stage I'm just going to plant whatever is seasonal to get the
experience. Never done this before.

Thanks for the reply though - I'm beginnning to think that 1 metre wide
is a little bit too narrow. It had been suggested to me to make sure I
could reach across without trampling on it, but maybe a touch wider
would have allowed two rows of these potatoes. I could do that for next
time!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

Potatoes a foot apart, rows two feet apart for maximum crop. NO lime.

If you are out to save money, potaotes are cheap to buy (but easy to
grow)
Your main problem may be irrigation if you live in a hosepipe free
area.
They prefer a lightish soil but you'll get something in most soils.
Dig in loads of crap/compost if you have it.

Thanks Harry - it's as much for satisfaction as cost - and there's a
water tap withing a few feet. No hosepipe ban yet.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Price" wrote in
o.uk:

Bob Hobden wrote:

"John Price" wrote
[...]

John, you can still plant first earlies, plenty of time. Their taste is
absolutely out of this world.
I know what you mean about satisfaction, that and the taste of freshly
harvested veg. out of your own garden.
I started off small, like you, and quickly got addicted, digging out more
areas to grow veg. probably have 110sq/m + now. Not huge and always
cramming in as much as I can. The lawns keep getting smaller as the veg.
plots get bigger.

Very good luck to you and best wishes.
Baz
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Price" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

"John Price" wrote
[...]

Don't worry about trampling on the soil, it's overplayed IMO. Our 20ft wide
beds are walked on with paths between rows, we just use a few walking boards
to spread the (considerable) weight. Then over winter it's dug again. Not
too late for First Earlies especially with only a small plot and they go in
a bit closer so you could get more into your space.
Have fun.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Don't worry about trampling on the soil, it's overplayed IMO. Our 20ft
wide beds are walked on with paths between rows, we just use a few
walking boards to spread the (considerable) weight. Then over winter
it's dug again. Not too late for First Earlies especially with only a
small plot and they go in a bit closer so you could get more into your
space. Have fun.

I was watching Beechgrove Garden and one of the presenters actually tramped
on the carrot bed before sowing the seed. With a root veg I would rather
not do that. But, this guy knows best and has years of experience. And I
like his manner.

Baz

Planting spuds.. mogga United Kingdom 5 05-03-2012 11:06 AM
Planting spuds Bill Grey United Kingdom 23 10-01-2012 04:12 PM
New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM