Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Chestnut & Bleeding Canker

We have three mature horse chestnut trees on our village green and have
recently been advised that they have bleeding canker. A arboricultural
consultant has recommended the experimental injection treatment from
Holland using Allicin:

http://allicin-treecare.com/en/main.php

What is your opinion of this outfit?
Is this treatment scientifically founded or mere quackery?
(I am sceptical and it is very expensive per tree saved)

www.forestry.gov.uk and www.forestryresearch.gov.uk
domains are both dead in the water

RHS & National Forest both say no chemical control is available.
Who should we believe?

Anyone know of any diseased horse chestnut trees with bleeding canker
treated successfully with this in the UK and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional information or contacts.
(private email if not appropriate for the newsgroup)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-04-2013, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2013 10:22, Martin Brown wrote:

We have three mature horse chestnut trees on our village green and have
recently been advised that they have bleeding canker. A arboricultural
consultant has recommended the experimental injection treatment from
Holland using Allicin:

http://allicin-treecare.com/en/main.php

What is your opinion of this outfit?
Is this treatment scientifically founded or mere quackery?
(I am sceptical and it is very expensive per tree saved)

www.forestry.gov.uk and www.forestryresearch.gov.uk
domains are both dead in the water

RHS & National Forest both say no chemical control is available.
Who should we believe?

Anyone know of any diseased horse chestnut trees with bleeding canker
treated successfully with this in the UK and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional information or contacts.
(private email if not appropriate for the newsgroup)

Doesn't appear he
http://ec.europa.eu/sanco_pesticides...ance.selection

You might want to try searching the databases he
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidanc...bases-home.htm

The only thing I can find related to allicin is the use of garlic juice
to treat red poultry mite:
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/Resourc...rlic_Juice.pdf

--

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2013 12:07, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That seems to be the same stuff.
I am becoming increasingly sceptical...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

horse chestnut trees problem Smokeyone Gardening 4 28-10-2004 11:52 AM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 04:23 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 12:02 AM
Horse Chestnut John Kelway Bonsai 2 27-08-2003 07:42 PM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM