Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit trees

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:07:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended
family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then
drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Didn't look like scab. Never happened before.

I don't know if what I am describing is scientifically scab, but they
sure looked scabby to me

Have a look at:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=81

That will help you to decide I hope.

That will indeed! Given that they are dwarf trees, and that they might be
susceptible to various problems....

Many thanks for that, Jake! Heck it isn't simple is it? I really am
very grateful for your help!! Plenty to think about!!!

Oh my poor wee fruit trees.... I fear annihilation may be on the cards

Thank you so much again, your comments have been much appreciated!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

It's very far from old for 'normal' trees but I know nothing about dwarf
trees, so I have to pass on that one!

I might give them a reprieve and feed as advised. Could be worth it and if
it doesn't work then I will know

Thanks to those who made comments, especially Jake
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-03-2012, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Water, water, water.

Old 17-03-2012, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Water, water, water.

Really? Where I live, lack of water never seems to be a problem ... Thanks
for your input though, Tina!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Banned

You will frequently find that fruits trees shedding fruit a few weeks before the fruit is full-grown. if there is too a great deal for the tree to carry to period. Now about the tree that cropped heavily then next year zero, the poor thing is worn out and has to rest for a year, it is ordinary of outgrowth tree to crop in exchange years.