Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit trees

I would like to ask for some advice about my fruit trees, if I may?

I have apple and plum trees in my garden; all dwarf types. The last few
years we have been away working for most of the summer and in the last two
years, in the autumn, the fruits have dropped before being fully formed and
look scabby. They flowered very well.

It looks like we might be away for most of this summer too, is there
something I can use to prevent that happening? Some spray perhaps?
Something I can do now?

I would be grateful for any advice, because it is such a waste!

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 11, 3:41*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
I would like to ask for some advice about my fruit trees, if I may?

I have apple and plum trees in my garden; all dwarf types. *The last few
years we have been away working for most of the summer and in the last two
years, in the autumn, the fruits have dropped before being fully formed and
look scabby. *They flowered very well.

It looks like we might be away for most of this summer too, is there
something I can use to prevent that happening? *Some spray perhaps?
Something I can do now?

I would be grateful for any advice, because it is such a waste!

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

--http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Sounds like pollination failure. Many trees need an appropiate
partner, ie one in blossom at the same time. And insects to pollinate
them.
Also, a dry spell can also cause fruit to drop prematurely.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

Sounds like pollination failure. Many trees need an appropiate
partner, ie one in blossom at the same time. And insects to pollinate
them.
Also, a dry spell can also cause fruit to drop prematurely.

These come to fruit and then when they are half grown ... Is that a failure
of polination? and then there is the scab! This has only happened in the
past 2 years. They fruited fine until then.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/11/2012 1:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

Sounds like pollination failure. Many trees need an appropiate
partner, ie one in blossom at the same time. And insects to pollinate
them.
Also, a dry spell can also cause fruit to drop prematurely.

These come to fruit and then when they are half grown ... Is that a
failure of polination? and then there is the scab! This has only
happened in the past 2 years. They fruited fine until then.

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:41:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I would like to ask for some advice about my fruit trees, if I may?

I have apple and plum trees in my garden; all dwarf types. The last few
years we have been away working for most of the summer and in the last two
years, in the autumn, the fruits have dropped before being fully formed and
look scabby. They flowered very well.

It looks like we might be away for most of this summer too, is there
something I can use to prevent that happening? Some spray perhaps?
Something I can do now?

I would be grateful for any advice, because it is such a waste!

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

I don't grow plums so can't comment on those but for apples, a lot of
pea-sized fruits dropping early in the year is a sure sign of poor
pollination - this may result from there being no pollinating tree
nearby, even so-called self-pollinators will do a lot better if they
have a "mate" which needs to be a different variety. There also need
to be pollinating insects - a shortage of bees will result in poor
pollination.

Next stage is the so-called June drop. Trees naturally thin their crop
out around this time but if they haven't got access to a balance of
nutrients this drop becomes more serious. A mix of cloudy weather and
low temperatures reduces photosynthesis and this starves the tree of
carbohydrates. Round here, we had a wonderful early spring which
degenerated in May/June and this caused a larger drop of 1-1.5 inch
apples.

From then on you're at the mercy of the weather and the nutrients
available to the trees. If they go hungry, they will continue to thin
out their crop as a natural survival tactic. If you've been away for
most of the summer, then irregular watering is a likely cause as it
doesn't normally rain the same amount every few days!

IME, dwarf trees need more care than their larger cousins, perhaps
because they have smaller root systems and are so more susceptible to
low moisture/nutrient levels in the soil. The only thing I can suggest
as a part solution is to make sure that the soil around the trunks of
the trees is clear of grass and other plants for at least a foot away
from the trunk. A liberal sprinkling of bone meal, raked into that
soil area now will help; it you have foxes use something like Growmore
instead.

If you have apple scab, then it won't go away on its own and you need
to tackle it on an ongoing basis. There are sprays available that will
give some control but you won't be around to follow the fairly strict
regime involved. Pruning out and destroying infected wood as soon as
discovered is also essential as is destroying any infected leaves or
fruits that fall.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family, and
still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its mate
nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop off??

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-11 17:16:54 +0000, "Ophelia" said:

"harry" wrote in message

Sounds like pollination failure. Many trees need an appropiate
partner, ie one in blossom at the same time. And insects to pollinate
them.
Also, a dry spell can also cause fruit to drop prematurely.

These come to fruit and then when they are half grown ... Is that a
failure of polination? and then there is the scab! This has only
happened in the past 2 years. They fruited fine until then.

That sounds more like drought, though of course, it is just possible that
your trees are very old and simply past their best? We have an ancient
apple tree like that but I can't bear to think of it being cut down,
although it's useless as a fruit tree!

Hmm well, these are about 10 years old... is that very old?? They are dwarf
so perhaps that makes a difference?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message

I don't grow plums so can't comment on those but for apples, a lot of
pea-sized fruits dropping early in the year is a sure sign of poor
pollination -

No these were not pea sized. Just about half the size they used to be. I
haven't had any problems in previous years.

Next stage is the so-called June drop. Trees naturally thin their crop
out around this time but if they haven't got access to a balance of
nutrients this drop becomes more serious. A mix of cloudy weather and
low temperatures reduces photosynthesis and this starves the tree of
carbohydrates. Round here, we had a wonderful early spring which
degenerated in May/June and this caused a larger drop of 1-1.5 inch
apples.

Noted

From then on you're at the mercy of the weather and the nutrients
available to the trees. If they go hungry, they will continue to thin
out their crop as a natural survival tactic. If you've been away for
most of the summer, then irregular watering is a likely cause as it
doesn't normally rain the same amount every few days!

Understood but we are in Scotland and drought is not really a problem.

IME, dwarf trees need more care than their larger cousins,

Now that is what I wondered!!! Although, they have grown fine for around 8
years with no problem.

perhaps
because they have smaller root systems and are so more susceptible to
low moisture/nutrient levels in the soil. The only thing I can suggest
as a part solution is to make sure that the soil around the trunks of
the trees is clear of grass and other plants for at least a foot away
from the trunk.

The soil around them is kept clear.

A liberal sprinkling of bone meal, raked into that
soil area now will help; it you have foxes use something like Growmore
instead.

No foxes but I am taking on board what you say about the feeding!!!! The
past couple of years I haven't fed them so I think perhaps you have hit on
the answer!!

If you have apple scab, then it won't go away on its own and you need
to tackle it on an ongoing basis. There are sprays available that will
give some control but you won't be around to follow the fairly strict
regime involved. Pruning out and destroying infected wood as soon as
discovered is also essential as is destroying any infected leaves or
fruits that fall.

I pruned them hard last year and destroyed the wood I removed. They
are fairly small trees ... would you suggest I cut them down and start again
later when I am around more often?

Many thanks Jake! You have given me a much better idea on how to deal with
the problem

Best

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

* I pruned them hard last year and destroyed the wood I removed. *
They
are fairly small trees ... would you suggest I cut them down and start again
later when I am around more often?

Many thanks Jake! *You have given me a much better idea on how to deal with
the problem

Best

--http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

OK, a lot of ideas for you to think about, poor polination gives early
drop of un fertilised fruit, drought will result in more falling fruit
but I think your problem is to much fruit on the trees, thin the fruit
hard just before you go away, removing all but the best.
You will often find apple trees shedding fruit a few weeks before the
fruit is ripeif there is to much for the tree to carry to term.
Now regarding the tree that croped heavily then next year nothing, the
poor thing is exausted and has to rest for a year, it is common fo
fruit tree to crop in alternate years.
Again when the tree is carrying a heavy crop thin it hard.
Think of it like you running as fast as you can for a hundred yards or
so, you then have to stop to get your breath back, but if you just jog
along you can keep going.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I will indeed) Thanks, David) Ummm about the scab?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/11/2012 4:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Didn't look like scab. Never happened before.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 4:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Didn't look like scab. Never happened before.

I don't know if what I am describing is scientifically scab, but they
sure looked scabby to me

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:07:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 4:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 3/11/2012 3:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Last year, one of my apple trees had not a single fruit on it - in
previous years, it's yielded enough to share with the extended family,
and still have plenty left for us. It _looks_ healthy, just like its
mate nearby.

BUT, did it fruit fine, grow to about half size, scab up and then drop
off??

Blossomed, fruited, dried and dropped before even reaching half size.

Scab? Can't say they dried though... just half size.

Didn't look like scab. Never happened before.

I don't know if what I am describing is scientifically scab, but they
sure looked scabby to me

Have a look at:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=81

That will help you to decide I hope.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.