Old 17-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered User

Default weed or not?

whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any value or should i take it all out
Attached Thumbnails
weed or not?-dscf0275.jpg
Old 17-03-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2012 20:43, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 17-03-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 17/03/2012 20:43, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

I agree. Do it soon.

Old 18-03-2012, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 8:43*pm, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Eames

Doesn't look quite like ground elder to me but.............
Any unwanted plant is a weed. You need to spray that with "Roundup".
It may need several doses if it is ground elder. It is evil stuff.
Now is a good time.
Old 18-03-2012, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:27:48 +0000, Spider wrote:

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

For U.S. military values of 'take it out'

Glyphosate, glyphosate and yet more glyphosate throughout the growing
season.

Old 18-03-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2012 22:27, Spider wrote:
On 17/03/2012 20:43, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

But hit it with glyphosate first and leave for two weeks before digging
it out. That way the roots will be weakened a bit and less inclined to
regrow. Every tiny bit you miss will be a new plant. Then every time you
have weedkiller going dose anything new that comes up for a season.

You have to use both chemical and physical methods to get a permanent
kill or if you are Organic(TM) sieve the soil to remove every last piece
of root no matter how small. It will regrow from a 6mm piece maybe less.

In lawns repeated close cutting with weed & feed will eventually make it
retreat, but in borders you need to get rid of it meticulously.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-03-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:43:40 +0000, Eames
wrote:

whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

You need to pick up those sycamore seeds as well, before they take
root.
Old 18-03-2012, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in news:vUh9r.458
:

On 17/03/2012 22:27, Spider wrote:
On 17/03/2012 20:43, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

But hit it with glyphosate first and leave for two weeks before digging
it out. That way the roots will be weakened a bit and less inclined to
regrow. Every tiny bit you miss will be a new plant. Then every time you
have weedkiller going dose anything new that comes up for a season.

You have to use both chemical and physical methods to get a permanent
kill or if you are Organic(TM) sieve the soil to remove every last piece
of root no matter how small. It will regrow from a 6mm piece maybe less.

In lawns repeated close cutting with weed & feed will eventually make it
retreat, but in borders you need to get rid of it meticulously.

Always have a glyphosate mix ready in a spray bottle and zap even a very
small weed, obviously avoiding your plants. I have had them and they pop
now and then. Just keep on top of them by hand picking after the
glyphosate.

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or parsnip bed
after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Good luck
Baz
Old 18-03-2012, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2012 13:47, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in news:vUh9r.458
:

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or parsnip bed
after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Potato would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not
edible. I can almost never avoid having volunteers sprout in the borders
that have spent a season growing in the compost heap!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-03-2012, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 17/03/2012 22:27, Spider wrote:
On 17/03/2012 20:43, Eames wrote:
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came
back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any
value or should i take it all out

|Filename: DSCF0275.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819|

Looks like Ground Elder, a very invasive weed. Just a tiny fragment of
root left in the ground will lead to reinfestation. You need to take it
all out.

But hit it with glyphosate first and leave for two weeks before digging it
out. That way the roots will be weakened a bit and less inclined to
regrow. Every tiny bit you miss will be a new plant. Then every time you
have weedkiller going dose anything new that comes up for a season.

You have to use both chemical and physical methods to get a permanent kill
or if you are Organic(TM) sieve the soil to remove every last piece of
root no matter how small. It will regrow from a 6mm piece maybe less.

I do like to be organic and I did it the hard way. I dug every little
piece out and now I have none.
My aunt threatened to move when she had ground elder, but her neighbour was
so fond of her that he said if she would stay he would get rid of the ground
elder for her..he did by digging every little piece out.
Its nasty stuff, although you can eat it apparently. It has a smell that I
suspect will transfer to the cooked veg and I do not like the smell.
If you can tolerate eating it, it's a good idea to eat it every day, too
much for it to keep coming up.
Other than that, dig and dig and dig every little root.
That worked for me. I have no ground elder now.

Old 20-03-2012, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2012 13:47, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in news:vUh9r.458
:

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or parsnip bed
after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Potato would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not
edible. I can almost never avoid having volunteers sprout in the borders
that have spent a season growing in the compost heap!

I've stopped growing potatoes. You can never get rid of them and I can buy
56lb bag from my local farm for a fiver.
It's not worth the effort.

Old 20-03-2012, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 18/03/2012 13:47, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in
news:vUh9r.458 :

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or
parsnip bed after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Potato would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not
edible. I can almost never avoid having volunteers sprout in the
borders that have spent a season growing in the compost heap!

I've stopped growing potatoes. You can never get rid of them and I can
buy 56lb bag from my local farm for a fiver.
It's not worth the effort.

I agree, but new first early home grown are my favourite vegetable. I
always will grow them.

Baz
Old 20-03-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2012 00:42, Christina Websell wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 18/03/2012 13:47, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in news:vUh9r.458
:

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or parsnip bed
after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Potato would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not
edible. I can almost never avoid having volunteers sprout in the borders
that have spent a season growing in the compost heap!

I've stopped growing potatoes. You can never get rid of them and I can buy
56lb bag from my local farm for a fiver.
It's not worth the effort.

But early new potatoes are just about worth the effort. Main crop isn't
unless you have lots of space. It is an astonishingly vigorous plant
that can really look after itself. Great for breaking up new ground.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eames View Post
whilst working i cleared an area of weeds and anything else then came back 2 weeks later to find a carpet of this plant. does it have any value or should i take it all out
Ground Elder. Carefully remove it and all of the white rhizome you find in the soil. Repeat every time it reappears. You'll get it under control after a while. Nasty but not as nasty as bindweed.

It is actually edible, and is used as an ornamental in some different climates where it isn't so invasive.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

We grew International Kidney last year and the flavour was fantastic.
Jersey Royals are a fluke of those and ours reminded me of why
properly grown Jersey Royals are so highly regarded.

I grew a 10 (thats all I could find locally) International Kidney last year
on your reccommendation and were lovely. I couldn't find any this year, too
expensive online (as with all potatoes IMO)
The good thing is that I am promised some for late planting to be ready in
autumn.
I have a couple of volunteers from last year poking up too. Will feed them
and see what I get, possibly keep the small crop for seed next year.

Good luck, Sacha.
Baz