Old 28-03-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A pesky persistent weed

See
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

This is the second garden where I have experienced these small, green plants
growing, in a tightly-clustered way, around small fruit such as raspberries
and red/white/black currents.
Often they are even tighter together than this photo shows.
Anyone - what are they?
(I never let them get big enough to be able to take a photo of any flower.)

Second question, since glyphosate is absorbed by leaves (and not by woody
material), is it safe to spray them with glyphosate and not damage the fruit
bushes ?
Thanks to and for this active group.

Old 28-03-2012, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob Simpson" wrote in message
See
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

This is the second garden where I have experienced these small, green
plants growing, in a tightly-clustered way, around small fruit such as
raspberries and red/white/black currents.
Often they are even tighter together than this photo shows.
Anyone - what are they?
(I never let them get big enough to be able to take a photo of any
flower.)

Second question, since glyphosate is absorbed by leaves (and not by woody
material), is it safe to spray them with glyphosate and not damage the
fruit bushes ?
Thanks to and for this active group.

They look a bit like broadleafed willowherb. I get them but just pull them
up.
I'd be more worried about what is popping up to the left of it -
suspiciously like ground elder.

Old 29-03-2012, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:05:49 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

I was thinking willowherb but the leaves look too shiny to me but,
either way, something to be got rid of. The plantlet to the left looks
more like a baby raspberry cane popping out of the ground than ground
elder.

If spraying with glyphosate, remember that the spray can rebound or
get carried by the slightest puff of breeze. Although it won't
penetrate wood, it can affect leaves. When spraying anywhere near
green growth I want to keep, I use a 2 or 3 litre pop bottle with the
bottom cut off. Place the bottle over the weed to be killed and poke
the nozzle of the sprayer through the hole at the top and spray away.
Everything around is protected though watch for any spray run-off
dripping from the inside of the bottle as you lift/carry it elsewhere.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
wrote:

"Rob Simpson" wrote in message
See

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...491fSXMi1LvSMf
DNxSjyUn3MM?feat=directlink

[...]

The young rosettes of several willowherbs are quite shiny.

--
alias Ernest Major
Old 29-03-2012, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" schreef in bericht

In message , Jake
writes
wrote:

[...]

Well, I am not sure about Willowherb. I could not find any pictures on the
Internet that looked remotely like mine in the garden.
Of course, as is so often the case, the photos were of mature, flowering
varieties.
Using the classification system of dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk I thought
Field Forget-me-not looked promising - remembering that mine are very early
in the growth cycle. This was based mainly on the growing style: low
rosettes and leaf shape.
A photo in a photo search also supports that:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...DuHrfHbpPCDdBw
= myosotis sylvatica
I think I will leave one bunch undisturbed/unglyphosated and see how they
develop.

Jake, thanks for the wise trick to localize the effect of glyphosate.
Rob

Old 29-03-2012, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rob Simpson
writes
Well, I am not sure about Willowherb. I could not find any pictures on the Internet that looked remotely like mine in the garden.
Of course, as is so often the case, the photos were of mature, flowering varieties.
Using the classification system of dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk I thought Field Forget-me-not looked promising - remembering that mine are
very early in the growth cycle. This was based mainly on the growing style: low rosettes and leaf shape.
A photo in a photo search also supports that:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...DuHrfHbpPCDdBw
= myosotis sylvatica
I think I will leave one bunch undisturbed/unglyphosated and see how they develop.

Both field forget-me-not (Myosotis arvensis) and wood forget-me-not
(Myosotis sylvatica) have hairy leaves.

Here's a picture of Epilobium montanum rosettes.

http://www.s-weeds.net/sidor/requarto/0202.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-03-2012, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

[...]

Broadleaved willowherb comes up with shiny leaves, unlike the other kinds.
I get it in my garden a lot.
I've looked again at the photo and I think you are right. It's a baby
raspberry. Phew ;-)

I don't use chemicals in my garden, so I just have to pull the weeds up or
let them live if they get overwhelming.
It usually works out OK. Some caterpillar or other will usually eat them
and I get lots of butterflies and interesting moths. Allowing rosebay
willowherb to grow can give you the beautiful elephant hawk moth.
I have a horror of ground elder as I had it here when I moved in. I have
it no more! Persistent weeding and sifting the soil for every little evil
rhyzome did the trick.

My aunt had ground elder in her garden too. She threatened to move because
of it, but her next-door neighbours love her so much that they said "No!! we
will cultivate your garden for ever and get rid of this terrible weed for
you." And indeed they did and are doing.
I wish I had neighbours like that.
Tina

Old 30-03-2012, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It is not a forget-me-not, Rob. I am pretty certain it is willowherb,
probably broadleaved w/h. Let it grow and see if I am right.
I don't mind if I am wrong but I'm reasonably confident with the ID.
And why? Because I have them too, have allowed them to grow and that's what
they turn out to be.
I really don't mind being proved wrong if anyone has a better idea about
your weed.
You looked for internet photos. You now have the definitive "how many times
have I seen broadleafed willowherb emerging in my garden to know that is
it?" from me.
Tina

Old 30-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Simpson View Post
See
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

This is the second garden where I have experienced these small, green plants
growing, in a tightly-clustered way, around small fruit such as raspberries
and red/white/black currents.
Often they are even tighter together than this photo shows.
Anyone - what are they?
(I never let them get big enough to be able to take a photo of any flower.)

Second question, since glyphosate is absorbed by leaves (and not by woody
material), is it safe to spray them with glyphosate and not damage the fruit
bushes ?
Thanks to and for this active group.
Hi Rob,

If using glyphosate It is better to paint than spray, use a fantail artists brush, this will keep this weed killer just where you want it to be!!!

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unless open
Old 30-03-2012, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for your interest in this "problem".
I will be very cautious and selective with the dreaded g***** and let some
of the pesky weed grow to maturity.
Then we shall see . . .
Yes, ground-elder is THE pest. But, perversely, I did like tracking it down
and ferreting it out - kind of satisfying.
Rob

"uriel13" schreef in bericht ...

Rob Simpson;954454 Wrote:
See
http://tinyurl.com/6nwoutq

Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...g491fSXMi1LvSM...

This is the second garden where I have experienced these small, green
plants growing, in a tightly-clustered way, around small fruit such as
raspberries and red/white/black currents.
Often they are even tighter together than this photo shows.
Anyone - what are they?
(I never let them get big enough to be able to take a photo of any
flower.)

Second question, since glyphosate is absorbed by leaves (and not by
woody
material), is it safe to spray them with glyphosate and not damage the
fruit bushes ?
Thanks to and for this active group.

They look a bit like broadleafed willowherb. I get them but just pull them
up.
I'd be more worried about what is popping up to the left of it -
suspiciously like ground elder.

I don't think it's any form of willowherb to much of a clump for that
I'd say.

--
I think you are wrong. what do you think it is, then? You get clumps where
the seeds fall.