Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pot plants on balcony

I'm looking for free advice (again),
this time on recommendations for pot plants or shrubs
(or even small trees?) to grow in very large pots (terracotta)
on a balcony in Tuscany.

Also if anyone has advice (or a pointer) on the best way
to set up plants in pots I would be very grateful,
eg what kind of compost, should fertilizer be added
(I don't adhere to the organic religion), etc.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm looking for free advice (again),
this time on recommendations for pot plants or shrubs
(or even small trees?) to grow in very large pots (terracotta)
on a balcony in Tuscany.

Also if anyone has advice (or a pointer) on the best way
to set up plants in pots I would be very grateful,
eg what kind of compost, should fertilizer be added
(I don't adhere to the organic religion), etc.

Yucca did really well on our balcony in Felixstowe.
I would assume any palm type thing would.

For really big pots I would suggest John Innes No. 3 (or topsoil) mixed with
Grobags and some manure - gives you the weight of soil, a bit of lightening
from the compost, and plenty of food from the (well rotted) manure.
Some Growmore and some chicken manure mixed in and you have an all purpose
mix.
You can cover the surface of the compost, around the tree, with large stones
which adds weight to the pot and preserves moisture (and prevents cats using
it as a convenient convenience).

I assume you want drought hardy trees/shrubs which can be left for a few
weeks without watering?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:

I'm looking for free advice (again),
this time on recommendations for pot plants or shrubs
(or even small trees?) to grow in very large pots (terracotta)
on a balcony in Tuscany.

I assume you want drought hardy trees/shrubs which can be left for a few
weeks without watering?

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Actually, I hope to have a watering system set up (Hozelock),
so that should not be a concern.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Registered User

Hi, I am Italian and I love Tuscany

Olive trees will look beautiful in your balcony and they are evergreen.You could also consider camellia and azaleas, other evergreen plants with beautiful flowers in spring. Also you could have a trellis on the wall with Star Jasmine...it is an evergreen with beautifully scented flowers in spring, so so nice, I can assure you the scent will blow you away!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 8:35*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

The first thing is to be sure your balcony will stand the weight.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2012 09:57, harry wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:35 pm, "David WE wrote:
"Timothy wrote in message

[...]

I've seen suggestions to use Perlite or Vermiculite on balconies because
of its light weight. Trouble is both hold an enormous amount of water
and so become rather heavier than normal soil or compost when wet.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote in
:

I'm looking for free advice (again),
this time on recommendations for pot plants or shrubs
(or even small trees?) to grow in very large pots (terracotta)
on a balcony in Tuscany.

Also if anyone has advice (or a pointer) on the best way
to set up plants in pots I would be very grateful,
eg what kind of compost, should fertilizer be added
(I don't adhere to the organic religion), etc.

My way of thinking is to have fruiting trees, everything else is just
not justifiable. That is my opinion.
You can buy fruit trees (dwarf?) to fit pots but would need regular
watering, and I mean regular if they are to fruit.

If you did but such a tree the instructions will be given on how to grow
properly and into pruning etc.

Hope this helps and good luck with what you do.
Baz