Old 31-08-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes... cherry tomato plants, in a pot, on my balcony...

Hi,
I have 3 pots with cherry tomato plants.
They are growing well, but one has very few tomatoes... it is still
flowering.

Should I stop fertilising or continue?

I am in Montreal, so it is also getting cold at night.

Also, as far as trimming, should I do something special to make them stop
growing and flowering? Or, let them be?
I feel like they should stop flowering and concentrate on growing the little
tomatoes that are already there...
Or, by the time it gets really cold here, they will be all half green / red
and no good!

Forgive my ignorance, but these are my first tomato plants.... !

BTW, the ones that have turned red (10) have been super sweet tasting, so I
look forward to more!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cat Whisperer wrote:
Hi,
I have 3 pots with cherry tomato plants.
They are growing well, but one has very few tomatoes... it is still
flowering.

Should I stop fertilising or continue?

I think so, if you fertilize a plant with nitrogen you make it develop
more its vegetation and be more damaged by parasites (aphids and scales,
cryptogames).

I am in Montreal, so it is also getting cold at night.

How cold night and day (average temperature; please °C Celsius)?

Also, as far as trimming, should I do something special to make them stop
growing and flowering? Or, let them be?

Some tomatoes varieties has continue to grow branches and leafs while
they fructify. Anyway if you trim its branches you promote fruits
growth, but usually in any plant you need to equilibrate growth and
production of fruits.
Bye,

Jon