Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default using up autumn lawn feed

I have a very large bag (unopened) of lawn feed from the autumn, bought
three to treat a very large lawn but didn't need this one.
Question
Could i use this on a lawn now or should i add anything to it or buy a
proper spring one liquid probably , but as it is predicted to rain in
the next three days i thought I might get away with the autumn stuff/

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 4:19*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I have a very large bag (unopened) of lawn feed from the autumn, bought
three to treat a very large lawn but didn't need this one.
Question
Could i use this on a lawn now or should i add anything to it or buy a
proper spring one liquid probably , but as it is predicted to rain in
the next three days i thought I might get away with the autumn stuff/

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy

Look at the composition lable.
The difference is likely to be more nitrogen in the spring fertilizer.

Your fertilizer is not magic food for grass, you can use it on
anything so long as the composition is OK.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
harry writes
Look at the composition lable.
The difference is likely to be more nitrogen in the spring fertilizer.

That's what I thought so I'll get them to wee it in instead of using a
hosepipe then?

Your fertilizer is not magic food for grass, you can use it on
anything so long as the composition is OK.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 16:19:10 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I have a very large bag (unopened) of lawn feed from the autumn, bought
three to treat a very large lawn but didn't need this one.
Question
Could i use this on a lawn now or should i add anything to it or buy a
proper spring one liquid probably , but as it is predicted to rain in
the next three days i thought I might get away with the autumn stuff/

Janet

The autumn feed promotes root growth whereas the spring/summer feed
promotes leaf growth. Using the autumn feed now won't harm the grass
but, essentially, you'd be wasting it as now you want leaf growth.

Conversely, using a spring/summer feed in the autumn will be bad as
the leaf growth it promotes will be comparatively delicate and very
susceptible to frost damage.

I'd keep what you've got until the autumn and (given the weather) use
a liquid spring/summer feed now.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:19:10 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I have a very large bag (unopened) of lawn feed from the autumn,

I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn in 2012

Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Derek Turner
writes
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn in 2012

Well that may be bur I strongly suspect some of these feed mixtures have
a use by date!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Derek Turner
writes
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn in 2012

Well that may be bur I strongly suspect some of these feed mixtures
have a use by date!

Wouldn't think so, but if it has it will say so on the tin.

Autumn fertiliser has less nitrogen as the idea is to stimulate root
growth. It will also probably contain a moss killer.
I regularly keep left overs from one season to the next and they seem to
work OK.
I would keep your bag til September and use an appropriate spring/summer
fertiliser now. Biggest problem is finding some rain to wash it in :-(
--
hugh
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
]...
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Derek Turner
writes
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn in
2012

Well that may be bur I strongly suspect some of these feed mixtures have a
use by date!

Wouldn't think so, but if it has it will say so on the tin.

Autumn fertiliser has less nitrogen as the idea is to stimulate root
growth. It will also probably contain a moss killer.
I regularly keep left overs from one season to the next and they seem to
work OK.
I would keep your bag til September and use an appropriate spring/summer
fertiliser now. Biggest problem is finding some rain to wash it in :-(

Ahem - which part of the currentlty very wet country are you in? ;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
]...
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Derek Turner
writes
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn
in 2012

Well that may be bur I strongly suspect some of these feed mixtures
have a use by date!

Wouldn't think so, but if it has it will say so on the tin.

Autumn fertiliser has less nitrogen as the idea is to stimulate root
growth. It will also probably contain a moss killer.
I regularly keep left overs from one season to the next and they seem
to work OK.
I would keep your bag til September and use an appropriate
spring/summer fertiliser now. Biggest problem is finding some rain to
wash it in :-(

Ahem - which part of the currentlty very wet country are you in? ;-)

Not very wet here - we've had about 5mm in total mostly light drizzle
all day.
--
hugh
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 9, 7:55*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
]...
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Derek Turner
writes
I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that there will be an autumn
in 2012

Well that may be bur I strongly suspect some of these feed mixtures
have a use by date!
Wouldn't think so, but if it has it will say so on the tin.

Autumn fertiliser has less nitrogen as the idea is to stimulate root
growth. It will also probably contain a moss killer.
I regularly keep left overs from one season to the next and they seem
to *work OK.
I would keep your bag til September and use an appropriate
spring/summer *fertiliser now. Biggest problem is finding some rain to
wash it in :-(

Ahem - which part of the currentlty very wet country are you in? ;-)

Not very wet here - we've had about 5mm in total mostly light drizzle
all day.
--
hugh- Hide quoted text -

I'd almost be inclined to use it now, providing you get enough rain to
wash it in, if the summer is going to be dry then less top growth
wouldn't be a bad thing , and better root growth could help fight the
drought, also less cutting to do.
Then if you get a wet summer you could always top dress with some high
nitrogen.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
PS
Jan
Thanks for the mail about the new fformuls B & Q Multi purpous
compost,
Looked poor to me as well, though I might try a couple of bags for 2
and 3 litr pot work, If I do I will put one bag through my seive to
see just how much doesnt go through, then if it's to much I'll take it
to B & Q and complain.