Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default next daft question

Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

Thanks

JIP
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2012 18:31, John Price wrote:
Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

No - some sort of lid to prevent too many leaves etc. falling in would
be a good idea but that is all.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:31:05 -0500, "John Price"
wrote:

Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

Thanks

JIP

If there was "stagnant " water in the butt then the likely wrigglies
are mosquito larvae. If you start pulling water from the butt and the
rain starts replenishing it, the disturbance will, in time, take care
of the mosquitos as they don't like disturbed water. Adding a lid to
stop other crud getting in will be a good idea, though. It will also
help to stop any mosquitos that develop from the larvae getting out if
it's a decent fit.

FWIW, I "clean" my butt every 3-4 years merely to get any accumulated
muck out of the bottom. I have given a lot of thought to composing the
previous sentence and await suitably original comments in response :~)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the nicely warm but wet east end
of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 6:31*pm, "John Price" wrote:
Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

Thanks

JIP

Valuable asset. Life is everywhere, don't worry.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

FWIW, I "clean" my butt every 3-4 years merely to get any accumulated
muck out of the bottom. I have given a lot of thought to composing the
previous sentence and await suitably original comments in response :~)

Thanks for the reply Jake (and others) - and for the smile!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Adding a lid to
stop other crud getting in will be a good idea, though. It will also
help to stop any mosquitos that develop from the larvae getting out if
it's a decent fit.
.
There's no need at all for it to be a good fit; my experience is that simply covering the water is enough to deter further mozzies from laying
__________________
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
There's no need at all for it to be a good fit; my experience is that simply covering the water is enough to deter further mozzies from laying
the only reason to deter the mozzies is for your own comfort - they won't hurt the veg
__________________
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

Still plodding along working towards creating my first ever veg
patches. Got some spuds in the first strip now.

Got to wondering about water-butts. Close by to where I'm doing this is
a heavy duty plastic container (about 200-250 litres), left behind by
my predecessor. It sits beneath the downpipe from the guttering of my
garage. It has no top. Apart from water, I noticed last year that it
was also teeming with loads of what may be extra-terrestial life forms
wriggling around.

I could empty and clean it out and put it back in place, but should a
proper water-butt that I would use to water the veggies with, have a
lid. What are the issues? I could find something to cover the top with,
but would that need to be air/insect tight?

Bob Flowerdew once said that he keeps a goldfish in each of his water
tanks to take care of the "pondlife". You'd have to take care if you
were dipping a can in!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Interesting, does he leave a lid on or off? I would have thought off.

No risk can dipping, we draw off the tap, however, all of ours are linked
together, what if one gets stuck in the pipe linking them together or in the
tap when drawing off?

Have to have words with my neighbour, his bred like mad and we put about 80
in my daughter's pond and they all vanished!!

Mike

Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
[...]

An inquisitive cat could easily fall in, and if the water level was a little
too low the cat might not be able to get out - and drown!

Put a lid on it !

Bill

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
[...]

AFTER the vermin has fallen in

Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

[...]

The real question is when it's in place in your garden "Does your butt
look big in it"?
Re the mosquitoe lava, a few drops of parifin or sim light oil will
coat the surface and block their spiracles so that they can't breath,
so will be killed
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Grey wrote:

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
[...]

I see. What you're proposing is really "cat control". What a good
idea, I'll take the lids from off my water butts immediately. I'll post
back on the success rate.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:32:12 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Bob Flowerdew once said that he keeps a goldfish in each of his water
tanks to take care of the "pondlife". You'd have to take care if you
were dipping a can in!!!

Pam in Bristol

Interesting, does he leave a lid on or off? I would have thought off.

No risk can dipping, we draw off the tap, however, all of ours are linked
together, what if one gets stuck in the pipe linking them together or in the
tap when drawing off?

Have to have words with my neighbour, his bred like mad and we put about 80
in my daughter's pond and they all vanished!!

Mike

There's a heron round here who snaffles from the ponds. We saw the
crows chasing it the other day. Absolutely amazing to watch!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Bob Flowerdew once said that he keeps a goldfish in each of his water
tanks to take care of the "pondlife". You'd have to take care if you
were dipping a can in!!!

Pam in Bristol

Interesting, does he leave a lid on or off? I would have thought off.

No risk can dipping, we draw off the tap, however, all of ours are linked
together, what if one gets stuck in the pipe linking them together or in the
tap when drawing off?

Have to have words with my neighbour, his bred like mad and we put about 80
in my daughter's pond and they all vanished!!

Mike

There's a heron round here who snaffles from the ponds. We saw the
crows chasing it the other day. Absolutely amazing to watch!

Here the rooks main attack is on buzzards. It always amuses me, even a
lone rook, even though a lot smaller can see a buzzard off.