Old 24-02-2013, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells: daft question

(well it feels like a daft question ...)

We are opening up a small area of woodland at the place where I do
gardening. "Opening up" meaning cutting away dense overgrowth, dense
undergrowth and nettles accumulated over as much as a decade.

I thought It'd be great to get bluebells in there .... how does one do
that? I mean: you can't go and buy bluebell seeds, nor have I ever
noticed bluebell bulbs for sale in the quantities we'd need.

tia
John
Old 24-02-2013, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
(well it feels like a daft question ...)

We are opening up a small area of woodland at the place where I do
gardening. "Opening up" meaning cutting away dense overgrowth, dense
undergrowth and nettles accumulated over as much as a decade.

I thought It'd be great to get bluebells in there .... how does one do
that? I mean: you can't go and buy bluebell seeds,

Of course you can! Bluebell seeds are available from
most wild flower seed sources. Just try googling for
Farnell Farm.

Phil

Old 24-02-2013, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2013 12:05, Another John wrote:
(well it feels like a daft question ...)

We are opening up a small area of woodland at the place where I do
gardening. "Opening up" meaning cutting away dense overgrowth, dense
undergrowth and nettles accumulated over as much as a decade.

I thought It'd be great to get bluebells in there .... how does one do
that? I mean: you can't go and buy bluebell seeds, nor have I ever
noticed bluebell bulbs for sale in the quantities we'd need.

tia
John

If it's old woodland then you might well find that when you clear the
brash away, and light can get in that you will get bluebells coming
back, they seem to be able to lie almost dormant for years waiting for
the right conditions.
David at the cold end of Swansea bay
Old 24-02-2013, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article lalaw44-EE364F.12054324022013@surfnet-
nl.ipv4.ptr.145.109.x.invalid, says...

(well it feels like a daft question ...)

We are opening up a small area of woodland at the place where I do
gardening. "Opening up" meaning cutting away dense overgrowth, dense
undergrowth and nettles accumulated over as much as a decade.

I thought It'd be great to get bluebells in there .... how does one do
that? I mean: you can't go and buy bluebell seeds, nor have I ever
noticed bluebell bulbs for sale in the quantities we'd need.

You haven't been looking then :-). Both are commercially available
but are the worst way to establish a colony. Packeted seeds are old and
less fertile, and bare bulbs/bulbs in the green may turn out to have
Spanish bluebell characteristics. For best colour, form and scent you
want to be sure you're establishing the graceful native.

By far the best method (IME) is to ask permission from owner of
bluebell wood, to collect seed just before the pods open (late July,
here in Scotland, YMMV) and broadcast them straight away wherever you
want bluebells to grow. No raking, covering or other preparation
necessary.
They germinate the following sprinng (looking like grass); a few small
flowers in year 3; from subsequent years you'll have your own bluebells
rapidly spreading both by seed and underground.

Janet.

Old 25-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
InThey germinate the following sprinng (looking like grass); a few small
flowers in year 3; from subsequent years you'll have your own bluebells
rapidly spreading both by seed and underground.
If they like your piece of ground, that is. They don't like my garden. Not the natives anyway, the Spanish planted before I arrived do fine. All attempts at establishing native bluebells failed. Probably they prefer the natural undisturbed ground of the bluebell wood a short distance away.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , echinosum.ba12d36
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Janet;978716 Wrote:
InThey germinate the following sprinng (looking like grass); a few small

flowers in year 3; from subsequent years you'll have your own bluebells

rapidly spreading both by seed and underground.

If they like your piece of ground, that is.

They don't like my garden.
Not the natives anyway, the Spanish planted before I arrived do fine.
All attempts at establishing native bluebells failed. Probably they
prefer the natural undisturbed ground of the bluebell wood a short
distance away.

.... which is why I recommended broadcasting fresh, local seed on
undisturbed ground in the OP's woodland.

Janet.