Old 14-04-2012, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fence query

I have a bit of a problem.
Very small garden, 25 years of growing, much in pots, needing frequent
replacement of compost, and thus getting rid of old stuff.
Until 8 years ago I could take it up to the allotment and dump it
there. Having had to give up driving I can no longer do that.
Hence the level of my garden has risen somewhat. The soil is rising up
against a new fence I had put in 2 years ago. I had it installed
quite low in order to keep next doors rabbit out!
What I think I need is some pieces of rigid plastic, about 8 - 10
inches high and the length of a fence panel, ie 6 feet, which I could
push down into the soil on the fence line, to hold back the soil, just
to protect the fence.
In your tours of fencing suppliers etc have any of you seen anything
like this or is there anywhere I can get such a thing.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2012, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

You can get green plastic edging designed to go for instance round the edge
of a lawn.
IIRC this is wiggly and about 6" high.
Two layers of that, overlapping, should give you your 8-10" high.
If you haven't yet got to the full height, put one row in then add another
as the soile gets higher.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 14-04-2012, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2012 11:20, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

You can also get concrete "boards" designed to keep the wood fencing off
the ground and reduce rotting. How about those?

Old 14-04-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Depends if you have concrete posts and replaceable fence panels :-)
If you do have that arrangement you would normally have at least one
concrete 'gravel board'.
In which case another gravel board on top would be an obvious upgrade so I
assume Pam doesn't have this arrangement.

With wooden posts I guess you have to protect the posts as well as the
panels.

However, it might be possible to dig down and put flexible plastic sheet
(damp proof) available from builders merchants against the fence and then
back fill.
More work than pushing rigid plastic down but would probably do the job.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 14-04-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 14, 11:04*am, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I wish you lived near to me. Old compost is excellent stuff to go on
the veggie garden :-)
Won't a neighbour take it away for you?

Old 14-04-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want anything as obtrusive as concrete, or as heavy. I have
wooden posts in those metal sockets, so need to keep the soil below
the top of the metal and off the fence panels.
The lawn edging strips sound OK. I can't dig down very far and don't
want to disturb plants, so want something I rigid enough to just push
in. I wish I'd had the fence a bit higher off the ground and had
gravel-boards at the bottom. Too late now!
Thanks guys!

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2012, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 09:26:12 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

There is someone who will take some of it, but it's not the same as
just bunging a sack in your own boot! We have a bank of shrubs
between the housese and the road and i empty some there. Nobody
objects but there's a limit!

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
[...]

Hi Pam, Yes, plastic lawn edging would do the job, as would wide DPC (available from builders merchants) but soil and debris might drop down behind. I'd look at tanalised timber boards, they would be more rigid and easier to fix and you could add them in 6" heights as required.
regards, Lannerman.
Old 14-04-2012, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

wrote:

[...]

bag it & freecycle it. Thre's always a grateful taker.

NT
Old 15-04-2012, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:31:35 +0000, lannerman
wrote:

'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
;955976']I have a bit of a problem.
[...]

Thanks Lannerman for that idea. I'll have to go on an expedition!

Pam in Bristol

Old 16-04-2012, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

When I first moved to my present house there was an old gravel path
which I didn't want. It was not "nice" gravel. I put an advert in my
local newsagent and had several people happy to come with a barrow and
take it away. I could have got rid of 4 times the amount.
In this case I don't have enough compost for such a means of disposal.
It's a small amount on a frequent basis.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-04-2012, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

You could fill a few strong poly sacks, like the 70 litre compost
bags, punch some holes in the base and grow potatoes i them, then
after use they will be ready for someone to take away.
David@ the sunny end of Swansea Bay
Old 18-04-2012, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Great idea David, but I have nowhere to put them!
My garden is at saturation point!

Pam in Bristol

chain link fence query RB Lawns 2 27-02-2005 05:27 PM
another phal query rick Orchids 1 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
B & D lubrication query Flynn United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 05:44 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM