Old 16-04-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Paper Ash

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 16-04-2012, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

I periodically clear out confidential membership details of both an RAF
Association and a Royal Navy Association I am involve with. Because of the
Data Protection Act I am responsible for the security of such details and I
always burn them and mix the ash in with the compost heap, usually with
other bonfire stuff, such as a clear out of bushes, weeds etc. such as the
bonfire I had yesterday.

Been doing this for years without any problems

Mike

Old 16-04-2012, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 16, 11:45*am, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

I'd mix it up in a bucket with water and water it onto the heap, this
will stop a soggy lump of old paper in the heap.
Old 16-04-2012, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:45:54 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

I don't even bother with the compost heap stage. I get someone to dig
it into the ground.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 16-04-2012, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

We shred ours and just put it on the compost heap then water it in to stop
it blowing away. Rots down in a trice.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-04-2012, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
news
"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

We shred ours and just put it on the compost heap then water it in to stop
it blowing away. Rots down in a trice.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

This raises an interesting question. Which is better for the compost, paper
ash or shredded paper which takes longer than ash but is more bulky?

Mike

Old 16-04-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:02:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

We shred ours and just put it on the compost heap then water it in to stop
it blowing away. Rots down in a trice.

We do exactly the same. It's just too messy to burn it and have to
deal with ashes blowing about.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fuschia" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:02:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

Following a declutteing of the loft, I have burnt masses of old bank
statements etc in a dustbin thingy. It is now half full of soft, very
light ash.

Will this be OK to put onto the compost heap?, mixed with grass cuttings
to stop it blowing away!

We shred ours and just put it on the compost heap then water it in to stop
it blowing away. Rots down in a trice.

We do exactly the same. It's just too messy to burn it and have to
deal with ashes blowing about.

and doesn't it blow about too!!

Mike

Which came first, the Green Ash or the White Ash species Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 21 26-10-2004 04:48 AM
grafting white-ash onto green-ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 28-06-2004 07:38 AM
telling apart green ash from white ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 6 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Paper or Plastic FDR Edible Gardening 4 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
questions about paper companies Ed alt.forestry 6 16-12-2002 03:40 PM