Old 18-04-2012, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries

http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 18-04-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Old 18-04-2012, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz
Old 18-04-2012, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message .. .

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

My advice would be to transfer the plants to growbags.
They will benefit from the root spread.
Pots are not really the best root environment for fruiting plants.
A few doses of fertiliser and bobs your strawbs.
Early yet though (:-)
Regards
Pete

Old 18-04-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2012 18:03, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

Aw, shucks, Baz. That's nice of you.

Old 18-04-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

My advice would be to transfer the plants to growbags.
They will benefit from the root spread.
Pots are not really the best root environment for fruiting plants.
A few doses of fertiliser and bobs your strawbs.
Early yet though (:-)
Regards
Pete

I've always grown mine in window boxws and they usually grow ok and crop
well. Having said that I had a few extra plants which I put in the
ground lastautumn and what a difference that made. They are now twice
the size of my window box ones and far more vigorous. Be interesting to
see how they crop.
Old 18-04-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:31:03 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 18/04/2012 18:03, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

Aw, shucks, Baz. That's nice of you.

Forgiving? Moi? I shall banish you to the Isle of Wight and have you
chained to the steps of Shanklin Theatre for a week if I can only find
eight chains

Not my strawberry thread, though, it's Roger's.

Seriously, I still don't think this is a virus. I didn't think of
Roger as someone to allow plants to become pot bound and so assumed he
was growing the plants in biggish pots or at least big enough pots
but, OK, root crowding may be an issue from his later post and would
tend to exacerbate any deficiency issue.

I think it's a deficiency and plumped for nitrogen (and then a
historical lack) as it seems to be affecting only the leaves - the
flowers and fruits are coming along nicely. He's feeding with Tomorite
so I guess the other trace elements are well catered for.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 18-04-2012, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

Forgiving? Moi? I shall banish you to the Isle of Wight and have you
chained to the steps of Shanklin Theatre for a week if I can only find
eight chains

NOOOOO not that pleeeease, anything but that. Have a heart guv. I promise
to be good and even take the foliage off of my plum tree so that yours will
be as good as mine next spring :-)

Old 18-04-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2012 20:15, Jake wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:31:03 +0100, wrote:

On 18/04/2012 18:03, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 17:34, Spider wrote:
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/706.PDF

Hope you can open the above link. It sounds like what you're describing.

I believe fragaria leaves show orange/red in response to nutrient
shortage, esp. nitrogen.

Sorry to respond to my own post. This was *intended* to pop up in
Jake's Strawberry thread. Oops! :~(

Don't worry, my eight legged friend, Jake is a forgiving Taffy.

Baz

Aw, shucks, Baz. That's nice of you.

Forgiving? Moi? I shall banish you to the Isle of Wight and have you
chained to the steps of Shanklin Theatre for a week if I can only find
eight chains

Shudder! You've got to catch me first ...

Not my strawberry thread, though, it's Roger's.

Oh Crikey! Sorry Jake .. and Roger. Serves me right for rushing in
between feeding my orchids and the Hushand Thingy. (At least I got that
bit right).

Seriously, I still don't think this is a virus. I didn't think of
Roger as someone to allow plants to become pot bound and so assumed he
was growing the plants in biggish pots or at least big enough pots
but, OK, root crowding may be an issue from his later post and would
tend to exacerbate any deficiency issue.

I think it's a deficiency and plumped for nitrogen (and then a
historical lack) as it seems to be affecting only the leaves - the
flowers and fruits are coming along nicely. He's feeding with Tomorite
so I guess the other trace elements are well catered for.

Well, you may be right (as you often are), but I'm sure I've read that
nitrogen deficiency turns strawberry leaves orangey red .. and I've seen
it in my own (ornamental) plants.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

It does sound like a problem related to the plants being pot bound.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM