Old 21-04-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed compost update

Found some JI Seed Compost in B&Q in a 20 litre pack for under £4.

Looks pretty good for small seeds - fine loam based compost which suits the
instructions for tomatoes of spreading on the surface then covering with a
little compost.
Can't do that with the clumping up multi-purpose composts.

I've planted up two plastic tubs which came with mushrooms in with more
tomatoes and these are on a window cill instead of outdoors in the mini
plastic greenhouse.
We shall see if any seedlings poke their heads up in a week or so.
I suspect that one problem with the first sowing of tomatoes may be the low
night time temperatures.

Cucumbers are doing fine.
Cabbage are doing fine.
I planted four rows of sunflowers (variety pack) and three rows have
germinated and the fourth hasn't. No idea why.
Just planted some yellow courgette seeds in my ongoing (so far unsuccessful)
attempt to grow yellow courgettes.
Whatever I do I seem to get green ones - seed or pots from nursery.

I will plant up some more seeds this weekend - been driven inside by the
rain at the moment.
Who knows, we may even get weather warm enough to plant stuff out.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 21-04-2012, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Found some JI Seed Compost in B&Q in a 20 litre pack for under £4.

Looks pretty good for small seeds - fine loam based compost which suits
the instructions for tomatoes of spreading on the surface then covering
with a little compost.
Can't do that with the clumping up multi-purpose composts.

I got a 20ltr bag of organic seed compost today to start my peas and leeks
again for 2.99. So much rain has only one pea coming up out of 16 and no
leeks from 21.

Old 22-04-2012, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
Looks pretty good for small seeds - fine loam based compost which suits
the instructions for tomatoes of spreading on the surface then covering
with a little compost.

I use vermiculite as it seems to cut down moss growth and isn't so
heavy on small seeds.
--
Janet Tweedy