Old 24-04-2012, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone tried air layering figs?

Thinking of trying to propogate our Brown Turkey for the allotment, and also
as backup if our plan to replant in the ground next year doesn't work.

Google suggests that this is the time to start air layering so wondered if
anyone had tried this on a fig recently.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 24-04-2012, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Thinking of trying to propogate our Brown Turkey for the allotment, and
also as backup if our plan to replant in the ground next year doesn't
work.

Google suggests that this is the time to start air layering so wondered if
anyone had tried this on a fig recently.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

They are so easy from the summer pruning's used as cuttings I can not quite
see why you would bother air layering?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 24-04-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Thinking of trying to propogate our Brown Turkey for the allotment, and
also as backup if our plan to replant in the ground next year doesn't
work.

Google suggests that this is the time to start air layering so wondered
if anyone had tried this on a fig recently.

They are so easy from the summer pruning's used as cuttings I can not
quite see why you would bother air layering?

Well, the fig is at the moment of such limited stature (being in a large
pot) that it hasn't required much summer pruning for a while.
Given that some sites suggest that you can get a well rooted air cutting in
4-5 weeks in Spring it seemed like a good idea.
Also, I'm bored and don't want to wait a few months for summer :-)

Old 24-04-2012, 06:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_4_] View Post
Thinking of trying to propogate our Brown Turkey for the allotment, and also
as backup if our plan to replant in the ground next year doesn't work.

Google suggests that this is the time to start air layering so wondered if
anyone had tried this on a fig recently.
Yes, it works well. I did it with damp peat free compost wrapped in cling film. Cut off the cuttings once I could see roots in the cling film.
__________________
Old 25-04-2012, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'David WE Roberts[_4_ Wrote:
;956930']Thinking of trying to propogate our Brown Turkey for the
allotment, and also
as backup if our plan to replant in the ground next year doesn't work.

Google suggests that this is the time to start air layering so wondered
if
anyone had tried this on a fig recently.

Yes, it works well. I did it with damp peat free compost wrapped in
cling film. Cut off the cuttings once I could see roots in the cling
film.

How long to root?

Old 25-04-2012, 02:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I dunno! I do all cuttings on the 'do and forget' principle. Longer than 3 weeks, less than 3 months to get roots to show through the clingfilm, by which time they were a couple of inches long.

I also did a fig from ordinary cuttings the year before last - someone gave me a 5ft branch, but I needed to get it into a suitcase, so I cut 12 inches off the bottom, which allowed me to curl the rest into a suitcase. I planted up both bits - the long bit didn't root, but the offcut did, and gave me figs last year.

But if I'd got limited material, I'd definitely air-layer - if it doesn't work, you can just leave it attached to the original tree and haven't lost anything.

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
air layering XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 17-03-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM