Old 26-04-2012, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How long can seeds survive when submerged?

A few weeks ago I visited the nether regions of my back garden where the
dreaded horse parsley was getting a worryingly vigorous foothold. I sprayed
it with weed killer, and wherever I saw any that was flowering, I hacked it
down for disposal (because of the seeds). I decided to put all of the
hacked-down material in a large lidded bin, full of water, which will
hopefully result in some useful liquid fertiliser. Does submersion
generally kill seeds? If so, how long does it take?

Many thanks,

Al
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
A few weeks ago I visited the nether regions of my back garden where the
dreaded horse parsley was getting a worryingly vigorous foothold. I
sprayed
it with weed killer, and wherever I saw any that was flowering, I hacked
it
down for disposal (because of the seeds). I decided to put all of the
hacked-down material in a large lidded bin, full of water, which will
hopefully result in some useful liquid fertiliser. Does submersion
generally kill seeds? If so, how long does it take?

Many thanks,

Al

My leeks seeds didn't survive our recent submersion here. I sowed them
again a few days ago, but it's getting quite late.