Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Newbie Bill

Default submerged plant identification

Hi all - I was recently given some parrots feather. Mixed in with it is
other plants which look very similar at the stem but the leaves are very
thin 3/4 - 1" needles growing all around the stem. No 'branches'.They are
not bunched together in any way. Just fine thin needles, not very dense,
growing all around the base stem. Similar to needles on a pine tree but
thinner. This is probably a common submerged plant. Can you tell me what it
is?
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Ka30P

Hmmmm,
I'll guess first and guess hornwort.
check this picture
http://www.grumpyspond.com/pics/hornwort.jpg
and see if it matches.

Subject: submerged plant identification
Hi all - I was recently given some parrots feather. Mixed in with it is
other plants which look very similar at the stem but the leaves are very
thin 3/4 - 1" needles growing all around the stem. No 'branches'.They are
not bunched together in any way. Just fine thin needles, not very dense,
growing all around the base stem. Similar to needles on a pine tree but
thinner. This is probably a common submerged plant. Can you tell me what it
is?
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

That was my first guess till I saw a picture. The 'needles' are similar but
much sparser, much stiffer and are only growing from the base stem. Do not
how to describe it. If this was a pothos ivy you would have the main stem
then a little stem growing off that connected to the leaf. This has the
nice substantial main stem (1/4" round or so) but the individual needles
grow only from it, and although growing relatively symetrical all around the
stem, each 'needle' is probably 1/8" or so from the next. The stem looks
very similar to the parrots feather and is much larger than the pic of the
hornwort. Would you like to try the Aquatic Plants for $200 square?
Thanxx
Bill Brister

Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Sorry, I will figure out how to post pix one of these days. A little more
of the thousand words I didnt say. Looking at the hornwort picture - It has
a main stem then little branches with clumps of fine leaves/spines. This
has no branches. Imagine just one of those fine spines growing from the
much more substantial stem. They are quite stiff and do not lose form like
the Cabomba (sp?) or probably hornwort would. And whereas the hornwort
appears to have 5 or 10 spines growing from virtually the same spot, mystery
plant has but one, then an eighth of a inch or so in all directions another.
Thanxx
Bill Brister
om...

Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Ka30P

Got out my POND LIFE book and found some more plants that you might want to
enter in google image search and see if you can find a match.
(your quickest bet would be to find a copy of POND LIFE by George K. Reid - out
of print but still may be on the shelf at your local B&N or on one of the used
book sites online - great book, my go-to book of all my 75+ reference books)

look first at water horsetail (the thick stem fits this and see if all parts of
the plant are represented in the pictures)

crowfoot - comes in yellow water crowfoot
and white water crowfoot
water marigold
water milfoil
fanwort
bladderwort
mare's tail
southern naiad
bushy pondweed
sago pondweed
horned pondweed

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 08-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Newbie Bill

Okay that wasnt too hard. Here is I hope a picture of the mystery plant.
Thanxx - Bill
http://community.webshots.com/user/bbris

Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Ka30P

Bill wrote A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/bbris"http://community.webshots.
com/user/bbris/A

I've been wandering the web for an hour looking for this plant... I'm thinking
it may be part of a emergent plant that got broken off and stuck in the bag.
Then DH called and said he was coming home from work and I realized the salmon
was still in the fridge, the rice in the box and the asparagus in the bag....
Will look more later ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 08-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Ka30P

Okay, I was right in pursuing emergent plants.
As it is kindof that.
I found this and I think it's the one.

Hippuris vulgaris
Mare's Tail
http://www.korner.cz/foto/Vodn%ED/Hi...20vulgaris.jpg
http://edu.taivalkoski.fi/tk-koulut/.../Vesikuusi.jpg

Mare's Tail (water milfoil family) found in central North America,
grows partially submerged or on marshy land. Short leaves, in whorls
of 6 to 12, are rigid when emergent, limp when submerged. Spreads
from rootstock.

Bill's picture is here

Old 08-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Newbie Bill

Kathy you sweet thing. Sounds like you definitely went above and beyond.
Frankly I wasn't totally convinced from the links. The first link didnt
work for me and in the second the 'leaves' on the left plant seemed to be
layered rather than diverse. But using your name I found the link below,
ironically also labeled mystery plant and answered in another group. This
looks just like it, including the little brown growths at the top which I
couldnt capture or describe. Hugs and kisses.
http://groups.msn.com/pondplantaquat...o&PhotoID= 15

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Ka30P

Drat you couldn't open the first picture as it really looks like it.

Try these
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/an...es/bent506.jpg
http://www.iwoe.de/pflanzen/hippurusvulgaris.jpg

Unfortunately nobody answered that one mystery plant post.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Hi Kathy - Since there is no Nobel Peace Prize for aqua culture
identification at stake I am happy to call it Mares Tail. It might even be
that most pictures dont look exactly like it because it is a slight variety.
I noticed somewhere it was described as being indigenous to Central North
America not the South. Certainly a stretch but perhaps it has somehow cross
breed with pine trees growing over lakes to give it that pine tree like look
and those teensie pine cone like top growths. I know it was growing in
shade, so perhaps the distinctive sparseness is just indicative of poorer
growing conditions. I cant find it now but I am relatively certain that the
plant WAS identified as Mares Tail. That's how I found that post - in a
search more Mares Tail not mystery plant I have definitely spent too much
time on a small 'inquiring minds want to know' question. And YOU, you
definitely deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for beyond the call of duty. Alas
they dont have that category yet either. I will definitely be the first to
submit your effort if they ever do. A cool million would buy a few more
pond plants wouldnt it Till that happens please accept my thanks once
again.
Have Fun!!
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

ps - yes it is emergent. I found a piece that had a clear root system at
the base. Nothing to rival a WH but much more than the thin strands you
might see on parrots feather. Oops - I guess I could have described that
with a picture as well. Nah - lets put this one to bed.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Ka30P

Bill wrote And YOU, you
definitely deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for beyond the call of duty.

Well, since I did get dinner done, thanks to DH being late, I'll forgo the
prize ;-)
Also found a kewl new page
http://www.library.drexel.edu/resear...ationkeys.html
to add to my collection.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Pond Newbie

Bill-

Email me the picture and I will put it up on the server for you, and send you back a link.

DeAnna

--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

m...

Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Newbie Bill

Hi DeAnna - Nice to hear from you again. Wuz just thinking about you the
other day. My food is getting a little low. Was it Sho Koi you were using?
Thanks for the post offer. I just went ahead and opened a freebie account
on web shots. Unless the nag screen becomes too much that should be fine
for my light usage Thanxx
Bill