Old 27-04-2012, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Harvesting brassica seeds?

I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?
They are all running to flower at the moment. Any tips on how to collect
the eventual seeds? Will they just scatter themselves everywhere unless
I do something?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 27-04-2012, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?
They are all running to flower at the moment. Any tips on how to collect
the eventual seeds? Will they just scatter themselves everywhere unless
I do something?

Assuming that they are like rocket, yes, but not catastrophically.
You must gather the pods when they are ripe, but when only a few
have opened - or tie some muslin or equivalent around them. Then
let them dry thoroughly in a bowl or bucket, break them up by hand
and winnow out the seeds (which will sink to the bottom).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:

I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?

What Nick said. I'll just add that it's dead easy- I just cut the seed
heads when the pods are yellowing-if they get fully dry, they'll
shatter-and put in a large paper grocery bag. Once dry, you can just bash
them about a bit and the seeds will fall to the bottom. Pour between a
couple of pails on a breezy day, and you're done! You can do any of clan
Brassica like this.

I like Red Russian AKA Ragged Jack.

Old 27-04-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 9:26*am, David in Normandy
wrote:
I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?
They are all running to flower at the moment. Any tips on how to collect
the eventual seeds? Will they just scatter themselves everywhere unless
I do something?

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

If you have different brassicas, they cross pollinate freely (also
with wild brassicas), you get some really odd things
Old 27-04-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2012 19:28, harry wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:26 am, David in
wrote:
I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?
They are all running to flower at the moment. Any tips on how to collect
the eventual seeds? Will they just scatter themselves everywhere unless
I do something?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

If you have different brassicas, they cross pollinate freely (also
with wild brassicas), you get some really odd things

The only other plant growing next to the kale is land cress. I don't
know if this counts as a brassica though?

Old 27-04-2012, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in
Normandy writes
wrote:
I've run out of seeds for my curly kale and don't have access to buy any
more of the original variety. How do I harvest seeds from the plants?
They are all running to flower at the moment. Any tips on how to collect
the eventual seeds? Will they just scatter themselves everywhere unless
I do something?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

If you have different brassicas, they cross pollinate freely (also
with wild brassicas), you get some really odd things

The only other plant growing next to the kale is land cress. I don't
know if this counts as a brassica though?

No. Land cress is Barbarea verna. It's a crucifer (Brassicaceae) but not
a Brassica. It's more closely related to Rorippa (yellow-cresses),
Cardamine (bitter-cresses, etc) and Nasturtium (water-cresses) (tribe
Cardamineae) than to Brassica, Sinapis (mustard), Diplotaxis
(wall-rocket), etc. (tribe Brassiceae).

It requires rather drastic intervention (somatic cell fusion) to produce
hybrids between Barbarea and Brassica.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-04-2012, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.- Hide quoted text -

The usual way to collect seed is to tie a paperbag over the seed head
& wait for it to fall.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David in
Normandy writes
The only other plant growing next to the kale is land cress. I don't
know if this counts as a brassica though?

Does it come true though David? And is it an F1 ?
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2012 16:30, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David in
Normandy writes
The only other plant growing next to the kale is land cress. I don't
know if this counts as a brassica though?

Does it come true though David? And is it an F1 ?

I guess I'm going to find out. Don't think it is an F1.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

brassica seedlings and pests Cat(h) United Kingdom 3 30-04-2009 02:54 PM
Brassica seeds, pots or garden? Broadback United Kingdom 10 09-05-2006 10:56 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM
Brassica transplanting Patrick United Kingdom 5 01-04-2003 01:20 PM