Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia woes

For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and turning
yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7
Bertie

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 3, 5:13*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and turning
yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7
Bertie

The link doesn't give me any sort of picture.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote

For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and
turning yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7

Our large Camellia tree has been suffering for a couple of years, losing all
it's older leaves although still flowering profusely. The leaves on ours all
have the same pattern of brown as they die but it's the opposite pattern to
that disease that is spreading. I took a branch into RHS Wisley and they
said it was not a disease but was due to the recent very dry winters/springs
we have had. Suggested a good watering, it was before this deluge, and a
good fertilizer and thick mulch and to ensure it never dries out in
winter/spring.
Trouble with these plants is it takes ages for them to react and by the time
they do a lot of damage has happened.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 3, 5:39*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2012 17:13:15 +0100, "Bertie Doe"

wrote:
For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and turning
yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7
Bertie

Old leaves, showing signs of sun scorch IMO, and due to drop fairly
soon. Possibly made worse by water shortage at the roots, now and/or
in the past, like last year. You don't say whether it's in a pot/tub,
or in full sun or shaded. If it were mine, I'd give it a feed with a
soluble general purpose fertiliser made up as per instructions on the
packet, and plenty of water, like several gallons if it's a big
camellia in the ground. Keep it watered in dry spells.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Just one thing, if you are going to feed it, make sure that you have
watered it very well first. A good high Nitrogen feed, remember they
form flower the embrio buds June, July so don't let them dry out
during that period.
(I can't see the pic as I just get text round the side and white
center)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 5:13*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and turning
yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7
Bertie

Some of that damage looks like some sort of leaf miner?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all. No chance of leaf scorch as it doesn't get any sun till late
afternoon. April's been wet here in Cornwall, up 75% over last year. Maybe
the dry March played a part.
It's planted in the ground, stands about 2 metres tall. It's 7 years old.
I've given it a compost mulch, tomorrow it'll have the suggested nitrogen
feed.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 3, 6:50*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
Thanks all. No chance of leaf scorch as it doesn't get any sun till late
afternoon. April's been wet here in Cornwall, up 75% over last year. Maybe
the dry March played a part.
It's planted in the ground, stands about 2 metres tall. It's 7 years old.
I've given it a compost mulch, tomorrow it'll have the suggested nitrogen
feed.

I think I'd give it a dose of sequestered iron, as you say your soil
is neutral to acid,
it could be clorosis due to the soil not being acid enough.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On May 3, 6:50 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
Thanks all. No chance of leaf scorch as it doesn't get any sun till late
afternoon. April's been wet here in Cornwall, up 75% over last year. Maybe
the dry March played a part.
It's planted in the ground, stands about 2 metres tall. It's 7 years old.
I've given it a compost mulch, tomorrow it'll have the suggested nitrogen
feed.

/I think I'd give it a dose of sequestered iron, as you say your soil
/is neutral to acid,
/it could be clorosis due to the soil not being acid enough.

Thanks Dave, I did a quick Google and M-G do a feed that combats yellowing
and also contains sequestrated iron:-
http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...ble-plant-food

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Wildflower woes. Whit Texas 9 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM