Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default OT washing machine

Put a load of washing in yesterday and after 6 hours and manny
attempts at different settings it was wet , washed but not rinsed or
spun out, verdict the machine is now past it.
After checking "Which" website I found a machine I liked so startrd
pricing it,
IU always thought Comet were quite good for price, but they wanted
just over £400 , ended with Co-operative Electrical Shop, free
delivery and the price was £289., ordered it this morning and will
have delivery on Sat, they will email me friday night with 90 min
delivery slot.
So tomorrow will be removing old machine, take out the slabs of
concrete, then the drum to use for growing a fig in, will have a few
bits to take to recycling, but not a lot.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

Put a load of washing in yesterday and after 6 hours and manny
attempts at different settings it was wet , washed but not rinsed or
spun out, verdict the machine is now past it.
After checking "Which" website I found a machine I liked so startrd
pricing it,
IU always thought Comet were quite good for price, but they wanted
just over £400 , ended with Co-operative Electrical Shop, free
delivery and the price was £289., ordered it this morning and will
have delivery on Sat, they will email me friday night with 90 min
delivery slot.
So tomorrow will be removing old machine, take out the slabs of
concrete, then the drum to use for growing a fig in, will have a few
bits to take to recycling, but not a lot.

Where good gloves as you take it apart, they don't usually take the burs off
the sheet metal and the edges are like razors. Had an engineer pouring blood
on the floor once and he took them apart for a living.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 May 2012 18:34:56 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Where good gloves as you take it apart, they don't usually take the burs
off the sheet metal and the edges are like razors.

Aye, tumble drier tried to take a deep 1/4" dia lump off a knuckle
the other week, healed back on now. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Put a load of washing in yesterday and after 6 hours and manny
attempts at different settings it was wet , washed but not rinsed or
spun out, verdict the machine is now past it.
After checking "Which" website I found a machine I liked so startrd
pricing it,
IU always thought Comet were quite good for price, but they wanted
just over £400 , ended with Co-operative Electrical Shop, free
delivery and the price was £289., ordered it this morning and will
have delivery on Sat, they will email me friday night with 90 min
delivery slot.
So tomorrow will be removing old machine, take out the slabs of
concrete, then the drum to use for growing a fig in, will have a few
bits to take to recycling, but not a lot.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

______
If you are able to weld legs on, or know someone who can, the drum makes a
great outside woodburner for those evenings on the patio. Why spend loads
on a chimnea if you can get a washing machine drum?
I've seen one in use and it looks really attractive, like it must have cost
a lot so no need to be embarrassed if you invite your neighbours round for a
barbie.
If they ask you where they can buy one you will have to tell them that a
relative who lives abroad sent you one because they are all the rage there
;-)
Or come clean..pardon the unintended pun.

Tina

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

_____
If you are able to weld legs on, or know someone who can, the drum makes a
great outside woodburner for those evenings on the patio. *Why spend loads
on a chimnea if you can get a washing machine drum?
I've seen one in use and it looks really attractive, like it must have cost
a lot so no need to be embarrassed if you invite your neighbours round for a
barbie.
If they ask you where they can buy one you will have to tell them that a
relative who lives abroad sent you one because they are all the rage there
;-)
Or come clean..pardon the unintended pun.

Tina

Welding stainless steel is expensive, but it would be easy to make up
a 3 leged stand for a drum.Even a nice wrought iron stand.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Put a load of washing in yesterday and after 6 hours and manny
attempts at different settings it was wet , washed but not rinsed or
spun out, verdict the machine is now past it.
After checking "Which" website I found a machine I liked so startrd
pricing it,
IU always thought Comet were quite good for price, but they wanted
just over £400 , ended with Co-operative Electrical Shop, free
delivery and the price was £289., ordered it this morning and will
have delivery on Sat, they will email me friday night with 90 min
delivery slot.
So tomorrow will be removing old machine, take out the slabs of
concrete, then the drum to use for growing a fig in, will have a few
bits to take to recycling, but not a lot.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

Sounds like muck in the pump. Screwdriver and rubber glove needed.

NT
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 9:56*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
_____

If you are able to weld legs on, or know someone who can, the drum makes a
great outside woodburner for those evenings on the patio. *Why spend loads
on a chimnea if you can get a washing machine drum?
I've seen one in use and it looks really attractive, like it must have cost
a lot so no need to be embarrassed if you invite your neighbours round for a
barbie.
If they ask you where they can buy one you will have to tell them that a
relative who lives abroad sent you one because they are all the rage there
;-)
Or come clean..pardon the unintended pun.

Tina

Welding stainless steel is expensive, but it would be easy to make up
a 3 leged stand for a drum.Even a nice wrought iron stand.

If you have a stick welder, you can buy the SS welding rods. No big
deal, they are only slightly costly than MS rods.
But you could bolt on legs or use self tapping screws. Even SS pop
rivets
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 11:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2012 10:08:11 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

wrote:
Put a load of washing in yesterday and after 6 hours and manny
attempts at different settings it was wet , washed but not rinsed or
spun out, verdict the machine is now past it.
After checking "Which" website I found a machine I liked so startrd
pricing it,
IU always thought Comet were quite good for price, but they wanted
just over £400 , ended with Co-operative Electrical Shop, free
delivery and the price was £289., ordered it this morning and will
have delivery on Sat, they will email me friday night with 90 min
delivery slot.
So tomorrow will be removing old machine, take out the slabs of
concrete, then the drum to use for growing a fig in, will have a few
bits to take to recycling, but not a lot.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

Our Miele washing machine is having it's 20th birthday this year.
We have had two in 40 years with zero problems. The first one was
still working OK when we sold it after 20 years.
--

Martin

We have a Miele too, Never a problem with it, it's about twenty years
old too.
I will only get shot of it when it dies. I will get another Miele.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 2:23*am, bobharvey wrote:
On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.

True.
Same with Screwfix these days.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 4, 6:31*am, harry wrote:
On May 4, 2:23*am, bobharvey wrote:

On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.

True.
Same with Screwfix these days.

Screwfix are part of B&Q
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 May 2012 01:22:58 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.

True.
Same with Screwfix these days.

Screwfix are part of B&Q

Are they? I thought Screwfix were owned by Kingfisher who also own
B&Q (and other brands). So it's "Kingfisher Screwfix and Kingfisher
B&Q" rather than "Kingfisher B&Q Screwfix".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article f0b07e0b-47f6-4b81-a24a-72e1cccf62e9
@d8g2000vbw.googlegroups.com, says...

On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.

John Lewis do excellent prices + free delivery + real old fashioned
service from their staff. Doesn't matter if you're not near a branch, you
can do it all online or by phone.

Janet
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 9:22*am, Dave Hill wrote:
On May 4, 6:31*am, harry wrote:

On May 4, 2:23*am, bobharvey wrote:

On May 3, 6:08*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

IU always thought Comet were quite good for price,

That's only what they want you to think.

True.
Same with Screwfix these days.

Screwfix are part of B&Q

Oh well, that explains it then.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 9:43*am, Martin wrote:

wrote:
[...]

We changed because at the time the replacement model was far more
economical. The only Miele product that we have ever had a problem
with was the dishwasher, the programmer failed when it was under
guarantee and was replaced under guarantee within 24 hours. We
extended the guarantee to ten years. The heating element failed a few
months before the extended guarantee ran out, again it was replaced
quickly. The service guy from Miele told us that the dishwashers were
the least reliable of Miele's products. We have a Miele vacuum cleaner
that must be more than 30 years old and still going strong.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Very interesting. I think I'll get a Miele vac in that case.