Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User

Default Plant ID

Hi,

Please can somebody help me identify this plant. It has been in our beds since we moved in over a year ago and I cannot find it in any garden centres etc.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Nicky
Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID-img_0472.jpg
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:00:06 +0000, scribble00
wrote:

Hi,

Please can somebody help me identify this plant. It has been in our beds
since we moved in over a year ago and I cannot find it in any garden
centres etc.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Nicky

|Filename: IMG_0472.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14971|

I would say it is the alpine alchemilla mollis.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble00 View Post
Hi,

Please can somebody help me identify this plant. It has been in our beds since we moved in over a year ago and I cannot find it in any garden centres etc.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Nicky
Alchemilla. Not Alchemilla mollis, which has lobed leaves, but one of the other species. Alchemilla alpina is similar, but the pic I found has only 5 "fingers" to the leaves whereas yours seems to have more. Sorry, I've too many A mollis in my garden to have any fondness for the genus, so I don't know anything about them.
__________________
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 08 May 2012 14:59:27 -0400, S Viemeister

In , says...
On 2012-05-08 17:50:57 +0100, Pam said:
wrote:
Please can somebody help me identify this plant. It has been in our beds
since we moved in over a year ago and I cannot find it in any garden
centres etc.
|Filename: IMG_0472.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14971|

I would say it is the alpine alchemilla mollis.

With a shiny leaf and a white edge to it? A. mollis isn't sharply
divided in that way, it's grey-green, 'felted', not shiny.

But alchemilla alpina is.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pict...emilla-alpina-
4.htm

Yes, that's what it looks like to me, too. I have loads of it in my
garden. Unfortunately, I also have that other alchemilla, which seems to
have a plan for world domination.

Anne Wareham has a large patch of alchemilla mollis at her garden (The
Vedw or Veddw depending on your spelling) and makes a feature of it.
It's good ground cover and weed supressant (if you don't let it become
a weed itself). Enjoy the flowers and then swipe with the hedge
trimmer before it sets seed. I have kept it easily confined to three
designated bits of my garden by this approach.

If you want to encounter a plant with world domination tendencies,
allow me to send you some himalayan balsam seeds! Alchemilla is tame
(even comatose, indeed deceased) by comparison.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/8/2012 5:42 PM, Sacha wrote:

I love Alchemilla mollis and we have a lot of it in this garden - the
more the merrier! I've never seen Alchemilla alpina but will look for
some now. It seems very pretty and another good ground cover.

Oh, I think it's very pretty, but (in _my_ garden, anyway) it behaves
like a thug. It sneaks up on other plants and attempts to devour them,
and relocating it isn't easy. In may cases, it isn't possible.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

If you want to encounter a plant with world domination tendencies,
allow me to send you some himalayan balsam seeds! Alchemilla is tame
(even comatose, indeed deceased) by comparison.
Himalayan balsam is a lot easier to pull up than Alchemilla mollis, which, by the time it has enough top growth to pull, already has a firmly embedded root system.
__________________
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

scribble00;958238 Wrote:
Hi,

Please can somebody help me identify this plant. It has been in our
beds
since we moved in over a year ago and I cannot find it in any garden
centres etc.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Nicky

Alchemilla. Not Alchemilla mollis, which has lobed leaves, but one of
the other species. Alchemilla alpina is similar, but the pic I found
has
only 5 "fingers" to the leaves whereas yours seems to have more. Sorry,
I've too many A mollis in my garden to have any fondness for the genus,
so I don't know anything about them.

Alchemilla conjuncta?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2012 00:20, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/8/2012 5:42 PM, Sacha wrote:

I love Alchemilla mollis and we have a lot of it in this garden - the
more the merrier! I've never seen Alchemilla alpina but will look for
some now. It seems very pretty and another good ground cover.

I though it looked quite nice too.

Oh, I think it's very pretty, but (in _my_ garden, anyway) it behaves
like a thug. It sneaks up on other plants and attempts to devour them,
and relocating it isn't easy. In may cases, it isn't possible.

It is a bit of a thug on clay soil here. But easily zapped.

Red valerian, centranthus ruber is even more of a thug but I let a fair
amount of it grow because of the butterflies its flowers bring in.

Both set copious amounts of seed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Red valerian, centranthus ruber is even more of a thug but I let a fair
amount of it grow because of the butterflies its flowers bring in.

I love valerian and would welcome that thug, but for some reason it just
won't grow here (mild, wet, coastal). Maybe too acid.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Red valerian, centranthus ruber is even more of a thug but I let a fair
amount of it grow because of the butterflies its flowers bring in.

I love valerian and would welcome that thug, but for some reason it just
won't grow here (mild, wet, coastal). Maybe too acid.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Should be fine but you may find like here it prefers walls and you seldom
find a plant seeded into the ground, do you want some seed later in the
year? its the red form we have here (whether we want it or not!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2012 13:36, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

Red valerian, centranthus ruber is even more of a thug but I let a fair
amount of it grow because of the butterflies its flowers bring in.

I love valerian and would welcome that thug, but for some reason it just
won't grow here (mild, wet, coastal). Maybe too acid.

Fascinating. It is always a surprise to me how plants which are noxious
weeds for some can be hard to grow elsewhere.

I have heucheras growing as volunteer seedlings all over on heavy clay
too. For some reason they grow easily for me but not for my neighbours.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

I'd suggest you try a pot with some spent JI No3 or last years tomato
compost in it. I have them growing out of the garden walls which isn't
good as it breaks up the mortar as the root gets thicker. But they bring
in hummingbird hawkmoths and lots of other butterflies with their
enormous number of tiny pink flowers on large heads. Can't fault it for
floriferousness either - they flower from now on with a bit of dead
heading (essential to avoid being overrun) until the frosts get it.

At the moment our apple trees are in full blossom and look fabulous.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown