Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cider as a fertilizer?

A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much bigger
than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a good feed
for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme recently. Some young
chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it was his secret to
success.
Anyone heard about this or seen the programme?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2012 17:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much bigger
than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a good feed
for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme recently. Some young
chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it was his secret to
success.
Anyone heard about this or seen the programme?

No, but I wondered if the fertilizer was added before or after
processing, if you see what I mean. :-)

--

Jeff
Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 10/05/2012 17:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much bigger
than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a good feed
for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme recently. Some
young
chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it was his secret to
success.
Anyone heard about this or seen the programme?

No, but I wondered if the fertilizer was added before or after processing,
if you see what I mean. :-)

--

Jeff

Ah!! you are talking 'quality'?
.................................................. ................
QUALITY

Is like buying oats! If you want nice, clean oats, you must pay a fair
price; however if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been
through the horse - that comes a little cheaper!!
.................................................. ................

Mike

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

JMLayman says...

On 10/05/2012 17:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much
bigger
than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a good
feed
for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme recently. Some
young
chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it was his secret to
success.
Anyone heard about this or seen the programme?

No, but I wondered if the fertilizer was added before or after
processing, if you see what I mean. :-)

ISTR Bob Flowerdew suggesting that on TV, long ago.

What? Peeing on the plant after partaking or diluting cider as a feed? :-)

I would imagine the cider would be acidic so that may help the citrus trees
who prefer acidic conditions but what about the other stuff in it, sugar,
alcohol etc how will that affect the plant/soil?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2012 Bob Hobden wrote:

A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much
bigger than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a
good feed for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme
recently. Some young chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it
was his secret to success.

Wonderful! I've got gallons of the stuff!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 15-05-2012, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Janet" wrote

JMLayman says...

On 10/05/2012 17:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
A distant neighbour who has some large citrus trees in pots, much
bigger
than ours, says he has been told that diluted dry cider makes a good
feed
for citrus and that it was mentioned on a TV programme recently. Some
young
chap with a beautiful Lemon tree mentioned that it was his secret to
success.
Anyone heard about this or seen the programme?

No, but I wondered if the fertilizer was added before or after
processing, if you see what I mean. :-)

ISTR Bob Flowerdew suggesting that on TV, long ago.

What? Peeing on the plant after partaking or diluting cider as a feed?
:-)

I would imagine the cider would be acidic so that may help the citrus
trees who prefer acidic conditions but what about the other stuff in it,
sugar, alcohol etc how will that affect the plant/soil?

Would it work for blueberries?
Alchoholic cider flavoured blueberries would be an exotic fruit :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)