Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Thrips refers to a whole order of insects. The pale green fast moving things about twice as long as aphids are also thrips.

See eg Pest Identification and Diagnosis
__________________
Old 13-05-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mangetout+pea woes

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
No, it's wasn't him - he was tucked up on his duvet indoors on every
occasion it happened! They haven't been touched overnight in the porch.
It was too big for a thrip, maybe 1/2 inch, bright lime green with
spectacular long outcurved antennae.

A very early shield beetle?

Dunno, it was soft bodied.

I got the peas out into the allotment today, they are still quite small but
had roots creeping out of the paper pots and I've netted them.
I maybe started them too early, very cold and wet/ the peas I started on 2
May are already showing as are the leeks I had to replant - they are up.
However, two or three or four leeks out of the 21 I sowed that got totally
drowned and were under water for ages, are showing their little spears.

Old 13-05-2012, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I maybe started them too early, very cold and wet/ the peas I started on 2
May are already showing as are the leeks I had to replant - they are up.

What happened to your leeks?

However, two or three or four leeks out of the 21 I sowed that got totally
drowned and were under water for ages, are showing their little spears.

I have never managed to kill off leeks, however mean I am to them.
Old 15-05-2012, 04:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
I maybe started them too early, very cold and wet/ the peas I started on
2
May are already showing as are the leeks I had to replant - they are up.

What happened to your leeks?

However, two or three or four leeks out of the 21 I sowed that got
totally
drowned and were under water for ages, are showing their little spears.

I have never managed to kill off leeks, however mean I am to them.

We had torrential rain for ages - I planted the original leeks in a cell
planter thingie and it didn't drain. Yes there were holes in the bottom but
the rain was too much. Very few have survived, but the odd one has.
My replants are doing well, a bit late now.

Old 15-05-2012, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
No, it's wasn't him - he was tucked up on his duvet indoors on every
occasion it happened! ?They haven't been touched overnight in the porch.
It was too big for a thrip, maybe 1/2 inch, bright lime green with
spectacular long outcurved antennae.

A very early shield beetle?

Shield bugs dont hop or jump.

They ping when you knock the leaf they're sitting on, though. :-)

Old 16-05-2012, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
Mice usually wait until they see a shoot and then dig down and eat the
pea
leaving the shoot to die. So, like all our peas this year, you will see
little holes in the soil where germinated peas should be but no actual
peas.

Yep, that sounds like the one. I've closed the greenhouse vent, but I
doubt it
will stop them.

Funny, but last year we had no trouble with mice at all on our ground
sown
peas so I didn't use the grow in guttering system this year but we have
lost
the lot now. Our experience here is only early peas work well, maincrop
ones
get too hot/dry and never produce a decent crop.

Well we /are/ using guttering, and it's not stopped them. :-(

I started my peas here in paper pots, no mice touched them, but an insect
did. I have a cat so no mice. They are now planted out with netting.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Mangetout Joanne United Kingdom 0 22-07-2004 04:12 PM
Mangetout Joanne United Kingdom 0 16-07-2004 12:19 AM
Mangetout peas Paul Taylor United Kingdom 1 26-06-2003 11:08 PM
First taste - mangetout shannie United Kingdom 3 19-06-2003 09:56 PM