Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Exclamation Elder Tree: Pollarded or Butchered?

Hi All,

I live in a rented house which until recently had a lovely 12ft Elderflower tree growing at the bottom of the garden - that was until the landlord decided that it was overgrown and needed to be pruned. Fair enough I thought, until to my horror when I came home from work one day last week to find the tree has been chopped back to nothing more than a stump.

The tree is now 'leaking' what I presume to be watery sap (quite copiusly) from the trunk/branches where it has been cut. I'm unsure what I should do as I have read somewhere that a tree 'sealant' should be painted on the tree to stop it bleeding and defend against disease - though the RHS website states they no longer advise using sealants or bandaging, so I don't know whether I should just leave the tree to heal naturally, but I am worried that if don't do anything it might die.

Please help.

Jungle Jake