Old 14-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Default Looking for Iresine

Hi I am writing from Malta. I've been looking for iresine for two years no to no avail. This plant is not available here although the local weather suits it well. If there is anyone who could help with a few cuttings (rooted/unrooted)I would be deeply grateful. I am looking for I. herbstii and also I. herbstii aureo-reticulata. Could swap with zantedeschia aetiopica seeds ot blue agapanthus seedlings if you prefer. Thanks.
Old 14-06-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2012 15:17, AnthonyC wrote:
Hi I am writing from Malta. I've been looking for iresine for two years
no to no avail. This plant is not available here although the local
weather suits it well. If there is anyone who could help with a few
cuttings (rooted/unrooted)I would be deeply grateful. I am looking for
I. herbstii and also I. herbstii aureo-reticulata. Could swap with
zantedeschia aetiopica seeds ot blue agapanthus seedlings if you prefer.
Thanks.

I have seen it for sale several times over the years on my visits to
Malta at various market stalls, and If I remember rightly Sherries
garden centyre have had it for sale as well.
Why not try a letter to the Malta times You might be supprised at the
result

Old 14-06-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2012 15:17, AnthonyC wrote:
Hi I am writing from Malta. I've been looking for iresine for two years
no to no avail. This plant is not available here although the local
weather suits it well. If there is anyone who could help with a few
cuttings (rooted/unrooted)I would be deeply grateful. I am looking for
I. herbstii and also I. herbstii aureo-reticulata. Could swap with
zantedeschia aetiopica seeds ot blue agapanthus seedlings if you prefer.
Thanks.

Thinking about it further you could also try Piscopo Garden Centre,
Burmarrad. They normally have a good selection of "House plants"
David
Old 15-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Hi Dave thanks for writing. Piscopo does not get it - I checked with him first thing. Sherries tried to get it for me but his supplier does not keep it in stock. I have also checked with local online websites where maltese gardeners sell and exchange stuff. No one keeps this plant anymore. Apparently its place has been taken over by coleus as it is in much more demand due to its varieties in colour and less demand for care considering the local climate. Believe me I have tried every possible source. This plant is so forgotten here that there are garden shops and even gardeners who do not know what it is or that it used to be grown here.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2012 14:25, AnthonyC wrote:
Hi Dave thanks for writing. Piscopo does not get it - I checked with him
first thing. Sherries tried to get it for me but his supplier does not
keep it in stock. I have also checked with local online websites where
maltese gardeners sell and exchange stuff. No one keeps this plant
anymore. Apparently its place has been taken over by coleus as it is in
much more demand due to its varieties in colour and less demand for
care considering the local climate. Believe me I have tried every
possible source. This plant is so forgotten here that there are garden
shops and even gardeners who do not know what it is or that it used to
be grown here.

Last idea
Try contacting Dr Joseph Buhagiar at The Argotti Botanic Gardens,
I have a feeling I saw it there a few years ago, and as part of the
university they may well maintain their plant collection.
David