Old 28-06-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deutzia

In article , Spider
writes
D. setchuenensis corymbiflora.

That's one i have, such a change from the normal ones and much much
smaller, or it is in my garden.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-06-2012, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Deutzia Magicien is on the Hydrangea Walk, the path that borders the
churchyard and where we also saw that nice red Persicaria Red Dragon.

Yes, sorry confusing lovely plants
Old 28-06-2012, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2012 12:46, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In , Spider
writes
Me, too. I love them. I'm growing them in groups of mixed bi-colours
in order to create a sort of permanent 'Sweet William' effect. Having
great fun! :~)

I can't understand why some of the ones sold for "bedding" aren't used
more as they come back year after year, maybe not so fragrant but very
pretty.
Me i like Mrs Sinkins.
I did once sow a packet of seeds for a gardener who had a rockery and
wanted something pretty on it.
Planted them out only to discover the following year that they were
REALLY tall, about two and a half feet but looked really spectacular on
top of her rockery flowering away for a long time in the summer!
Looked like fireworks.

I've never tried them from seed. Were they easy? I suspect they don't
really come true from seed and that is why you got taller Mrs Sinkins
plants than the norm. They must have looked amazing on that rockery!
Hope you didn't get a sinkins feeling when discovered they were too
tall! ;~))

I've very occasionally managed to take a cutting from pinks or
carnations, but I obviously haven't got the knack yet. I certainly
couldn't rely on building up stock that way.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 28-06-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2012 12:47, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
D. setchuenensis corymbiflora.

That's one i have, such a change from the normal ones and much much
smaller, or it is in my garden.

Mine is still small, as in recently planted. I searched high and low
for one for years, then just walked up to one in a garden centre on
holiday. I can't wait for it to put on some growth. I think it
eventually makes something like 6ft.

Old 29-06-2012, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
I've very occasionally managed to take a cutting from pinks or
carnations, but I obviously haven't got the knack yet. I certainly
couldn't rely on building up stock that way.

They are usually really easy from cuttings or slips Spider.
i tend to put them in a box filled with sharp sand and a bit of old
compost mix
in the cold greenhouse. Most things root that way. i have also found
that difficult stuff to strike does sometimes have a more successful
rate if you put cuttings from plants that strike really easily next to
them.
I wonder if it is the hormones in the stem ends ? Anyway it works for
me.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 29-06-2012, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
ine is still small, as in recently planted. I searched high and low
for one for years, then just walked up to one in a garden centre on
holiday. I can't wait for it to put on some growth. I think it
eventually makes something like 6ft.

Mine is about 8 foot but very airy, the growth tends to look as if the
plant is having a bad hair day . Train it on one stem Spider it is so
much nicer to see the flowers hanging down in great arches.
After flowering just take out every stem that's flowered back to a new
growth.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 29-06-2012, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 10:49, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
I've very occasionally managed to take a cutting from pinks or
carnations, but I obviously haven't got the knack yet. I certainly
couldn't rely on building up stock that way.

They are usually really easy from cuttings or slips Spider.
i tend to put them in a box filled with sharp sand and a bit of old
compost mix
in the cold greenhouse. Most things root that way. i have also found
that difficult stuff to strike does sometimes have a more successful
rate if you put cuttings from plants that strike really easily next to
them.
I wonder if it is the hormones in the stem ends ? Anyway it works for me.

Oooh! That's really interesting, Janet! Clearly something I'll have to
try. Yes, you may be right about the hormone thing; it may be rather
like the ethylene gas ripening effect, but for roots. I did try that
trick of piercing the stem with a needle, which seemed to improve
matters slightly, though I'm not sure what the scientific basis is for
that. Have you ever tried it?

Old 29-06-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 10:49, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
I've very occasionally managed to take a cutting from pinks or
carnations, but I obviously haven't got the knack yet. I certainly
couldn't rely on building up stock that way.

They are usually really easy from cuttings or slips Spider.
i tend to put them in a box filled with sharp sand and a bit of old
compost mix
in the cold greenhouse. Most things root that way. i have also found
that difficult stuff to strike does sometimes have a more successful
rate if you put cuttings from plants that strike really easily next to
them.
I wonder if it is the hormones in the stem ends ? Anyway it works for me.

This is like the idea of putting cuttings into a jar of water together
with cuttings of Willow, the idea being that willow twigs give of
hormone that promotes rooting.
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay

Old 29-06-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 10:52, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
ine is still small, as in recently planted. I searched high and low
for one for years, then just walked up to one in a garden centre on
holiday. I can't wait for it to put on some growth. I think it
eventually makes something like 6ft.

Mine is about 8 foot but very airy, the growth tends to look as if the
plant is having a bad hair day . Train it on one stem Spider it is so
much nicer to see the flowers hanging down in great arches.
After flowering just take out every stem that's flowered back to a new
growth.

Is that how you've grown yours? Does it cope well with windage on the
raised crown? How tall is the trunk before the crown develops, and does
the trunk strengthen (thicken) over the years? Sorry for so many
questions. I'd be really interested to see a pic, if possible, as I've
only ever seen it as a shrub.

Old 29-06-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 11:25, David Hill wrote:
[...]

It does sound effective. However, one could end up with an awful lot of
willow plants! :~))

Old 29-06-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
This is like the idea of putting cuttings into a jar of water together
with cuttings of Willow, the idea being that willow twigs give of
hormone that promotes rooting.

Oh well I do it based on my own experience with cuttings so maybe
there's something in that then?
Old 29-06-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Is that how you've grown yours? Does it cope well with windage on the
raised crown? How tall is the trunk before the crown develops, and
does the trunk strengthen (thicken) over the years? Sorry for so many
questions. I'd be really interested to see a pic, if possible, as I've
only ever seen it as a shrub.

Send me your email address and I'll post you a picture Spider.
I put a stake in when it was young and I let it branch at about 3 and a
half foot. Keep taking out side shoots and suckers around stem below
that.
No trunk doesn't thicken too much - mine has been in about 10 years now
no stake anymore but doesn't seem to get blown over even with all the
flowers out and strong winds.
Old 29-06-2012, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 12:51, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Is that how you've grown yours? Does it cope well with windage on the
raised crown? How tall is the trunk before the crown develops, and
does the trunk strengthen (thicken) over the years? Sorry for so many
questions. I'd be really interested to see a pic, if possible, as I've
only ever seen it as a shrub.

Send me your email address and I'll post you a picture Spider.
I put a stake in when it was young and I let it branch at about 3 and a
half foot. Keep taking out side shoots and suckers around stem below that.
No trunk doesn't thicken too much - mine has been in about 10 years now
no stake anymore but doesn't seem to get blown over even with all the
flowers out and strong winds.

Just sent my email address. Will check later. Thanks.