Old 23-06-2012, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deutzia

Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

Old 23-06-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

David Hill said:

Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

Looking at the last one, it's just possible that's Deutzia Magicien. If
you look on Google for images of it, you'll be able to tell. When Roy
Lancaster was here, he saw it growing in our garden and said to Ray "I
beter you sell masses of that". "Hardly any" was the reply. They seem to
have gone out of fashion, which is a shame because they're wonderful
shrubs. Janet and her friend loved it when they came here on Wednesday, so
now we've got to find one if we can, or send some bits!

The trouble is they need pruning hard immediately after flowering, taking
out all the just flowered canes, and people either don't understand that or
do not like to cut a large shrub down to a few new green shoots in the
middle of summer. It can ruin the look of a small garden. So they leave it
and it gets bigger and bigger and more ugly until they grub it out, same
thing with Lilac and Buddleia.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-06-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2012 14:10, David Hill wrote:
Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

Nice photos, and I couldn't agree more. Deutzia are so uncommon
(although I've seen more recently - a couple in an NGS garden today, as
it happens) that, until a couple of years ago, when I saw Deutzia in
flower in gardens I had no idea what it was.

It's just a shame that they are all - more-or-less - deciduous. Just
think how popular an evergreen, highly scented Deutzia would be!

--

Jeff

Old 23-06-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 23 June 2012 14:10:21 UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

This sort of feeds into my thread about the response of people to plants. If they're buying from our local garden centre they will see a little green plant in a 12 or 15cm pot at 3 for a tenner and won't have a clue what a beauty they're missing. That's how we got several of those 'run of the mill' shrubs 2 years ago and they are all big and beautiful now. They are common because they are good and reliable but regarded with scant respect because they are common.
As Bob says folks are generally ignorant about pruning in particular and plant care in general; why? I don't know - perhaps the level of literacy isn't as good as HM Gov think it is.

Rod
Old 23-06-2012, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 23 June 2012 15:15:57 UTC+1, Sacha wrote:

If you look on Google for images of it, you'll be able to tell. When
Roy Lancaster was here, he saw it growing in our garden and said to Ray
"I beter you sell masses of that". "Hardly any" was the reply. They
seem to have gone out of fashion, which is a shame because they're
wonderful shrubs. Janet and her friend loved it when they came here on
Wednesday, so now we've got to find one if we can, or send some bits!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
www.hillhousenurserytearoom.com
South Devon

Just don't get me started on fashion and gardening.
There, I've just resisted a rant to show I'm not really a grumpy old gardener.

Rod

Old 23-06-2012, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2012 14:10, David Hill wrote:
Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

They're lovely, Dave! I have a few Deutzias in my garden and they make
very good shrubs ... if you know how to prune them, to echo Bob's
response. D. 'Pride of Rochester' is looking stunning at the moment. I
have an early flowering one, whose name I need to check, and a later
flowering one (July/August), which is D. setchuenensis corymbiflora.
They all have different growth habits and, yes, all are deciduous, but I
don't regard this as a problem. I really enjoy seeing the new season's
leaf buds break. Also, they're good companions for spring bulbs because
they let light through to ground flora.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 25-06-2012, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-23 19:17:00 +0100, Rod said:
Just don't get me started on fashion and gardening.
There, I've just resisted a rant to show I'm not really a grumpy old gardener.

Rod

Lol! You're a hero. But things do come and go. Recently, I read that
Dianthus are making a comeback. I'm pleased to hear it because I think
they're lovely, really charming plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
www.hillhousenurserytearoom.com
South Devon

Goody - I'm ahead of the curve with those, I've been collecting a few this year and I'm already bowled over by them.

Rod

Old 25-06-2012, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-23 19:17:00 +0100, said:
Just don't get me started on fashion and gardening.
There, I've just resisted a rant to show I'm not really a grumpy old gardener.

Rod

Lol! You're a hero. But things do come and go. Recently, I read that
Dianthus are making a comeback. I'm pleased to hear it because I think
they're lovely, really charming plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
www.hillhousenurserytearoom.com
South Devon

Goody - I'm ahead of the curve with those, I've been collecting a few this year and I'm already bowled over by them.

Rod

Me, too. I love them. I'm growing them in groups of mixed bi-colours
in order to create a sort of permanent 'Sweet William' effect. Having
great fun! :~)

Old 26-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"The trouble is they need pruning hard immediately after flowering, taking
out all the just flowered canes, and people either don't understand that or
do not like to cut a large shrub down to a few new green shoots in the
middle of summer. It can ruin the look of a small garden. So they leave it
and it gets bigger and bigger and more ugly until they grub it out, same
thing with Lilac and Buddleia.
Philadelphus is popular. In general rather similar to Deutzia, flowers a bit less pretty, but much more scented, which I would guess is the winning feature. Philadelphus's pruning needs are similar also, though I don't know if Deutzia suffers more from not getting the proper pruning than Ph. In the end there's no room in my garden for a Deutzia because I already have a Philadelphus, and I chose one with fancier flowers than the norm. I'm happy to enjoy Deutzia when I encounter it elsewhere, not taking up room in my garden.
Old 26-06-2012, 06:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod[_5_] View Post
As Bob says folks are generally ignorant about pruning in particular and plant care in general; why? I don't know - perhaps the level of literacy isn't as good as HM Gov think it is.
I thought HM Gov thought gardening and litter picking required the same level of skill?
__________________

Old 26-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Philadelphus is popular.
I wonder, what's in a name: I have a theory that if Deutzia had a "common" name, it would sell better.

Rachel

(don't get me started on Scabious; horrible name. Bet the Scabious fairy hates the Wintersweet fairy...)
Old 27-06-2012, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.

Mine is looking really good this year but not a patch on those in Sacha
and ray's garden!! I think it must be the one Roy Lancaster noticed in
the Car Park, ............ beautiful ..........
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 28-06-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Janet and her friend loved it when they came here on Wednesday, so now
we've got to find one if we can, or send some bits!

Bits are fine, bits are fine !!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 28-06-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , echinosum
writes
do not like to cut a large shrub down to a few new green shoots in the
middle of summer. I

Love doing that It looks so much better to have lovely new green
shoots than the old flowered stems and do so tidy up a garden. Trouble
is trying to convince people that it will come back just as good next
year. i do it without he philadelphus by the front door and so it is
kept confined but even on this forum people have said i shouldn't cut
the old stems out after flowering.!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 28-06-2012, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Me, too. I love them. I'm growing them in groups of mixed bi-colours
in order to create a sort of permanent 'Sweet William' effect. Having
great fun! :~)

I can't understand why some of the ones sold for "bedding" aren't used
more as they come back year after year, maybe not so fragrant but very
pretty.
Me i like Mrs Sinkins.
I did once sow a packet of seeds for a gardener who had a rockery and
wanted something pretty on it.
Planted them out only to discover the following year that they were
REALLY tall, about two and a half feet but looked really spectacular on
top of her rockery flowering away for a long time in the summer!
Looked like fireworks.
--
Janet Tweedy