Old 04-05-2003, 12:57 PM
miklol

Default growing herbs

I want to start a small herb plot and have sown dill, parsley and one or two
others which are ready to plant out. Are they best in full sun or shade and
do they need a lot of watering and feeding for best results?

Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 PM
The Devil's Advocate

They need full sun and good drainage. Parsley germinates better if you add
lime to the soil and should be kept moist as it germinates. They don't need
a lot of feeding, just a decent well rotted manure or fertiliser I find does
the trick

Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
The Devil's Advocate no spam no rudeness wrote:
They need full sun and good drainage. Parsley germinates better if you add
lime to the soil and should be kept moist as it germinates. They don't need
a lot of feeding, just a decent well rotted manure or fertiliser I find does
the trick

Look at the Herb FAQ, posted regularly on rec.gardens.edible by
Henrietta Kress.

Parsley needs just light, and not full sun, though ideally it should
have full sun and soil that never dries out! Dill needs full sun
and soil that never dries out - I find it a real pain to grow. Some
others need full sun and can take drought.

Excluding basil, dill and a few others, the herbs we grow can be
divided into two classes:

Northern damp-lovers (parsley, chives, chervil, lovage etc.) that
need damp conditions but can handle low light levels and poor drainage
(within reason).

Southern sun-lovers (often Mediterranean labiates, such as sage,
thyme or rosemary) that need full sun and good drainage but can handle
drought when established.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Growing Herbs Jane Edible Gardening 13 14-01-2004 06:02 PM
Growing Herbs/ Chia pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 03-01-2004 09:02 AM
Growing Herbs Jane Gardening 12 03-01-2004 04:32 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Lawns 7 19-09-2003 07:04 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Roses 11 19-09-2003 07:03 AM