Old 25-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Jebediah Kornworthy

Default Growing Herbs

Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care of
my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about growing
your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and what kind of
climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be buying a book soon
but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

Old 25-06-2003, 11:56 PM

"Jebediah Kornworthy" wrote:
Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care
of my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about
growing your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and
what kind of climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be
buying a book soon but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of
usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

Hi, Jeb. My wife and I grow our own spices, you'd be surprised
at what you can grow in a relative small place.

Here's a fairly cool link for starters. Good luck.

http://www.gardenguides.com/forms/herbs.htm

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Ob-1

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care of
my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about growing
your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and what kind of
climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be buying a book soon
but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

JEB..In my case anyway..you've hit "PAY-DIRT".( an old miner's saying)
I believe that many here are just as serious??

My daughter grows Culinary herbs and I "contract-buy" more serious herbals
for medical reasons including returning your eyesight in case of cataracts
and
other more serious things like CANCER and Andro/meno-pausal problems.
Reversing aging is also a prime hobby! I'm my OWN best proof here.

Trebor M
--
Worlds’ largest producer of Lin Xhi (Kombucha) Synergisms
Homogenizing milk KILLS! Over 1 million Autopsies do not lie...

Old 26-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Ob-1

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care of
my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about growing
your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and what kind of
climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be buying a book soon
but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

Jeb...Gardening is an hoot...I've been doing it since I was 5yrs old.
( that's 65 yrs ago LOL) Depending on your particular climate, you can grow
what
ever is permissable within the limits there-of. Culinary herbs can even be
grown in window pots year around! ( in sunny places). The usual
"cooking herbals" as desired.
If you have a nice plot..about 15 by 30 feet at the smallest...a lot of

things can be
grown. String beans of ALL varieties along the fences as they "climb"

Tomatoes near
the fences that an be TIED loosly to keep them from sagging, Radishes in
the wetter
envronments, Onions in a SANDIER environment. ALOE'S in the holes of
cement
bricks do well.

A really nice combination Marigolds ( for LUTEIN for an eye tea) can be

harvested as
soon as they fully bloomed then de-hydrated and collected in a jar. The
more you
harvest, the more the plants produce! Water regularly!

Comfrey ( for bone strength) grows out of it's mind if watered regularly!

CORN in the middle: Yellow grows fastest..aprox.in 30 days
Start it in PEAT pots. and plant as soon as it sprouts about an inch or so!
All veggies
above ground...same. TUBORs start under rich soil and keep slightly damp

till it
sprouts...then regular intervals for an hour or so about every 3 to 4 days,

depending on climate!
Learn what WEEDS look like and keep them away...root grubs also have to
looked for on leafy veggies/plants. Harvest those by hand. Plant
GARLIC everywhere to keep pests
at bay...use SEVIN dust sparingly to keep ants and other ground pest away.
It is NON-poisoness to HUMANS but bugs and ants stay away. It's a FUN
learning curve,
READ all you can about it...check the "search Engines" a swell.
BTW...collect DANDELIONS as thy are GOD's greatest gift to man...and we

KILL THEM??? They automatically keep our eye pressure RIGHT WHERE IT
BELONGS.
They also HEAL challenged LIVERS! ( especially if you've been using paint
thinners and other volatile cleaners. The entire family of many (
save one) are usable in one
good way or another.
Get several GOOD herbal books..STUDY same...and enjoy a new perspective!

B-0b1

Old 26-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Jebediah Kornworthy

wrote in message
"Jebediah Kornworthy" wrote:
Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care
of my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about
growing your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and
what kind of climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be
buying a book soon but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of
usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

Hi, Jeb. My wife and I grow our own spices, you'd be surprised
at what you can grow in a relative small place.

Here's a fairly cool link for starters. Good luck.

http://www.gardenguides.com/forms/herbs.htm

--
GO# 40

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information with me I've already checked out
the web site.

Jeb

Old 26-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Jebediah Kornworthy

"Ob-1" wrote in message

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

[...]

__________________________________________________ __

Trebor,

Many thanks for all of the information. Sometimes it's hard to know
if a newsgroup is sincere or not. For instance the "alt.folklore.herbs"
name sounded a bit strange to me but I thought that I'd try it out anyway.
When I got to this site I saw so many postings for pornography and others
trying to peddle their trash that I didn't believe this group to be
creditable. And what's worse than this is that they post the same
information 10 to 20 times, almost completely overshadowing all of the other
valuable postings.

Oh well, I guess I'm rattling on here but it's just so irritating to
see so much junk out their that is ruining the newsgroups. I think that
every newsgroup has to moderated to save the groups from spam, trolls,
purveyors of porn and extincition!

Thanks again,

Jeb

Old 26-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Anne Lurie

Jeb,

You might try rec.gardens.edible.

Also, watch out for cross-posting (posting to various newsgroups
simultaneously), as you can start a flame war that way since many newsgroup
readers don't think highly of other newsgroups

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

.. .

Old 27-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Jebediah Kornworthy

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Jeb,

You might try rec.gardens.edible.

Also, watch out for cross-posting (posting to various newsgroups
simultaneously), as you can start a flame war that way since many

newsgroup
readers don't think highly of other newsgroups

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

sniped my own article)
__________________________________________________ __

Anne,

Many thanks for your response. I'll have to go to a news group
information forum. Once a guy told me (recently) to cross post to the
different groups so he wouldn't have to read the same post twice. I've
heard at other times that it is unacceptable to cross post and you shouldn't
do it. I'm not sure what to do at this point but I'm sure I won't lose any
sleep over it. I rarely cross post anyways.

Thanks for the information on rec.gardens.edible. This is exactly the
information that I was looking for.

Sincerely,

Jeb

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
JimS.

"Jebediah Kornworthy" wrote in message

Many thanks for your response. I'll have to go to a news group
information forum. Once a guy told me (recently) to cross post to the
different groups so he wouldn't have to read the same post twice. I've
heard at other times that it is unacceptable to cross post and you

shouldn't
do it. I'm not sure what to do at this point but I'm sure I won't lose

any
sleep over it. I rarely cross post anyways.

Thanks for the information on rec.gardens.edible. This is exactly the
information that I was looking for.

Sincerely,

Jeb

Jeb,

Definitely DO NOT cross-post . You will definitely **** off more people by
cross-posting than not. Cross-posting invariably leads to more spam too, so
it's better to annoy that one person. Speaking of which-- I don't quite get
his point, he's still going to see the post twice, once in each newsgroup,
isn't he?

JimS.
Seattle

Old 28-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Jebediah Kornworthy

"JimS." wrote in message
et...

[...]

Jim,

. I thought it was acceptable to cross post when asking a simple question
that shouldn't have caused any controversy. Before I cross-posted I read
this on a web site called:
Rules for posting to Usenet.

"Usually, it is sufficient to post any article to a single newsgroup; the
one that's most relevant to the subject of your article. If the article
is really relevant to multiple newsgroups, then "cross-post" to the
relevant newsgroups by posting the article only once with all newsgroups
named on the "Newsgroups" header line.

Source:http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/

. I didn't know that this makes people mad. I guess, like you say, it just
****es people off and I'm not trying to do that

Thanks,

Jeb
(learned his lesson)

Old 16-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Robert McCarty

SEE below

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

Hello to all,

I'm new to gardening (vegtables & Herbs) however I've taken care of
my outside plants and lawn. I'm interested in learning more about growing
your own herbs. I'd be interested in the different types and what kind of
climate they are best suited for etc. I am going to be buying a book soon
but I am interested in the "interactive" quality of usergroups.

Do any groups exist for growing herbs ? Is so I haven't had any
success in find them. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeb

JEB get a book on the subject and use GREEN houses..as small as they may be??
B-0b1

Old 19-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Robert McCarty

Get a GOOd Herbal Encyclopedia that gives ALL the skinny..They Do exist!
Go to a Book store and start your search..and so will I..LOL! B-0b1

Growing Herbs Jane Edible Gardening 13 14-01-2004 06:02 PM
Growing Herbs/ Chia pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 03-01-2004 09:02 AM
Growing Herbs Jane Gardening 12 03-01-2004 04:32 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Lawns 7 19-09-2003 07:04 AM
growing herbs miklol United Kingdom 2 05-05-2003 11:56 AM