Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flooding precautions and response

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Martin
writes
Isn't it about time a hovercraft or two was used in floods? There are
many
in the country, military, sport and commercial, yet when there's
flooding,
not one to be seen.

A good suggestion.

I thought they had stooped making the commercially?

I don't speak with any authority on this, it just seems to me that
hovercraft would be very handy in a flood.

Steve

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

http://www.flyingfishhovercraft.co.u...t/Default.aspx

http://search.ebay.co.uk/120944371321

--
Chris
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Martin
writes
Isn't it about time a hovercraft or two was used in floods? There are
many
in the country, military, sport and commercial, yet when there's
flooding,
not one to be seen.

A good suggestion.

I thought they had stooped making the commercially?

I don't speak with any authority on this, it just seems to me that
hovercraft would be very handy in a flood.

Steve

You wouldn't want to be rescued by one, the air they are hovering on causes
absolute carnage around the vehicle, bit like helicopters, been winched up
several times and its not a pleasant experience (although I will admit
better than being left in the water!) plus they are very noisy and often
they are calling out and listening for cries for help, so paddle power is
often the best bet

and no I am not a bad sailor who is unlucky! we used to do crew changes by
helicopter and they were not allowed to land.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
The Ouse floods every year, even in the 1940s when I was kid.
Most of the area that flooded then had no housing on it.

People were more sensible then !

And up until privatisation the Rives Authority (absorbed into the water
boards about 1974 IIRC) could veto any planning applications.
--
hugh

Any precautions/tips; preventing cold damage? John Benedict Orchids 5 05-02-2009 01:03 AM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
Periodical salt-water flooding Mike Lyle United Kingdom 5 20-11-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM