Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flooding precautions and response

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:48:06 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , says...

Not to worry David (hubby) will be happy to help in any way he can
and
know it alls like harry don't bother him one little bit

I'd recommend advice from Harry, inhabitant of Herefordshire, a county
well experienced in floods, over an author of fantasy EOTWAWKI apocalypse
novels.
Janet

Now I'm confused. Are there two Harrys in this newsgroup, one in
Hertfordshire who knows what he's talking about and another who not
that long ago advised someone relatively inexperienced to tackle a
problem using illegal herbicides and advised on how the illegal
herbicides might be procured illegally.

If there are two Harrys then we need to have some way to differentiate
between the two as I, and no doubt others, are guilty of assuming that
there is only one.

I also wonder if Janet, as the elderly (part) owner of a failed B&B on the
Isle of Arran, could tell us exactly what her qualifications and experience
are that would persuade us to pay any attention to her opinion of who to
believe on such subjects? Especially when Harry's (whichever one of them it
is) sole contribution was to say, 'I knew all that already.'

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:24:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Pruned

Please Ophelia, I am not going to get into any argument between you
and Janet. There are always two sides to a quarrel and Usenet is not
the place to debate them (unless one party resides on the Isle of
Wight, White or however it's spelt )) ).

I only want to establish whether there are two Harrys (of which one is
reliable) or just one. I have a Harry in Pembrokeshire in my head from
somewhere so there may indeed be two. If I have the time I may delve
back into my archives and see what the message ID info is. But having
the time at the moment is difficult so I'm hoping that Janet or Harry
will resolve the question, that's all.

I simply don't want to be tarring an informative Harry with the
uninformative brush if you get my drift.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Pruned

Please Ophelia, I am not going to get into any argument between you
and Janet. There are always two sides to a quarrel and Usenet is not
the place to debate them (unless one party resides on the Isle of
Wight, White or however it's spelt )) ).

lol

I only want to establish whether there are two Harrys (of which one is
reliable) or just one. I have a Harry in Pembrokeshire in my head from
somewhere so there may indeed be two. If I have the time I may delve
back into my archives and see what the message ID info is. But having
the time at the moment is difficult so I'm hoping that Janet or Harry
will resolve the question, that's all.

I simply don't want to be tarring an informative Harry with the
uninformative brush if you get my drift.

Oh OI do, OI do!!! Fear not, I am absolutely with you on the 'harrys
thing! g

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-07 17:53:11 +0100, Judith in France
said:

Yes, you are correct he is a survival expert.

Ah. A *real* expert, rather than a prat who is an 'expert' on any subject
that comes up and spends a lifetime Googling to impress others. Wasted
effort!

The thing with David is he will happily share his knowledge on anything he
DOES know about but will just as happily admit his ignorance and accept the
help and advice of others on anything he doesn't. For example if you want to
know about wild edibles he's your man, but he wouldn't pretend to know
anything but the very basics about cultivating a garden!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:48:06 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Not to worry David (hubby) will be happy to help in any way he can and
know it alls like harry don't bother him one little bit

I'd recommend advice from Harry, inhabitant of Herefordshire, a county
well experienced in floods, over an author of fantasy EOTWAWKI apocalypse
novels.
Janet

Now I'm confused. Are there two Harrys in this newsgroup, one in
Hertfordshire who knows what he's talking about and another who not
that long ago advised someone relatively inexperienced to tackle a
problem using illegal herbicides and advised on how the illegal
herbicides might be procured illegally.

As I recall he advocated inappropriate garden use by amateur, of a legal
herbicide which is legally obtainable (in the UK) but only licensed for
agricultural use.

Getting one thing wrong doesn't make a chap wrong about all else, as I'm
sure you agree.

If there are two Harrys then we need to have some way to differentiate
between the two as I, and no doubt others, are guilty of assuming that
there is only one.

Hertfordshire is the county where hurricanes hardly ever happen.
Hereford is the county frequently familiar with floods.

The Harry in this thread has said many times he lives in Herefordshire.

Janet.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 18:34:20 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

As you clearly state, the herbicide was legal for agricultural use but
illegal for domestic use. Therefore, in the circumstances, the use,
procurement and sale would have been illegal. But what you have told
me is that the individual that gave that advice is the same as the one
now giving flooding related advice. The individual who gave the
herbicide advice to which I have referred has given other bad advice
here in the past.

So I will trust David rather than Harry. That is my choice. It's a
free world.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Jake, My David is an honest and honourable man!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 12:11*pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 22:17:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Hubby wrote this for a group on a different forum system and I thought it
might be useful he

Floods

big snip

Very good.

The Ouse floods every year, even in the 1940s when I was *kid.
Most of the area that flooded then had no housing on it. Today it has.
--

Isn't it about time a hovercraft or two was used in floods? There are many
in the country, military, sport and commercial, yet when there's flooding,

Steve

Have you never seen one working? The damage it would do in an urban
area would be immense.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 12:53*pm, David Hill wrote:
On 07/07/2012 12:37, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:11:09 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Hubby wrote this for a group on a different forum system and I thought it
might be useful he

Floods
big snip

Very good.

The Ouse floods every year, even in the 1940s when I was *kid.
Most of the area that flooded then had no housing on it. Today it has..
--

Isn't it about time a hovercraft or two was used in floods? There are many
in the country, military, sport and commercial, yet when there's flooding,
not one to be seen.

A good suggestion.

Well I'd have thought that a lot of the timber decking should just rest
on supports and have flotation of some sort built under it so that it
could serve as a raft if needed in floods.
I remember seeing; on one of the house building programmes; a house
close to the river being built in a large raft of polystyrene and with
posts at each corner so it could rise up with the rising water.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay where it's trying to rain yet again.- Hide quoted text -

You can buy a whole house that floats, they have them in Holland
http://www.ecoboot.nl/artikelen/floating_houses.php
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 2:01*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:

On 2012-07-07 08:27:31 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 23:19:56 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Well I read that and didn't learn a single new thing. *I think your
husband should stick to his present job, whatever that is.

Not everyone is as perspicacious as you Harry. Shame you had to
reproduce the whole thing just to tell us.

I think it's a shame he makes such a prat of himself rubbishing something
relevant to current weather conditions in many parts of the country. We
know at least one urgler who has been flooded out of their home twice this
year. *I think I'm correct in saying that O's husband is a survival expert
and such information may well be of use to any one of us in the prevailing
weather. *Given Harry's usual responses it would amaze me to hear he can
learn anything at all.

Not to worry *David (hubby) will be happy to help in any way he can and
know it alls like harry don't bother him one little bit

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/- Hide quoted text -

Factual information should be concise. Not wordy drivel intended to
impress.
Most people will lose interest after the first ten lines.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 2:28*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

wrote:

Well I read that and didn't learn a single new thing. *I think your
husband should stick to his present job, whatever that is.

Not everyone is as perspicacious as you Harry. Shame you had to
reproduce the whole thing just to tell us.

I think it's a shame he makes such a prat of himself rubbishing
something relevant to current weather conditions in many parts of the
country.

* Harry lives in Herefordshire where flooding is routine and people are
well accustomed to dealing with it

We know at least one urgler who has been flooded out of their
home twice this year.

queried by another urgler with obviously far more knowledge of the
aftermath of flooding (not Harry).

I think I'm correct in saying that O's husband
is a survival expert

* I suggest you do some googling before parroting anything claimed from
that source.

* Janet- Hide quoted text -

"Expert" .....Right.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 3:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 15:16:44 +0200, Emery Davis

wrote:
On 07/07/2012 02:45 PM, Martin wrote:
Don't they build houses on concrete pontoons in the Netherlands? *I
remember reading an article about it some years ago, the whole thing is
anchored by chain to the ground so it will ride above but not float away.
Most houses are built on piles, the older houses were built on wooden
piles which still survive after hundreds of years, the newer houses
are built on ferro concrete piles. The houses on concrete pontoons are
houseboats

The type of construction I was talking about is shown in the picture
from Maasbommel.

http://inspirationgreen.com/floating-homes.html

I don't know anything about these people, just showed up in a search.

Somehow I always think of houseboats as mobile, but its true they mostly
stay tied up (not particularly seaworthy!)

"Maasbommel -- The Netherlands is readying itself for future flooding.
The Dutch have realized that building higher dikes to keep out the sea
is no longer the solution."

That's an odd statement. The Dutch are in the process of raising
coastal defences to a minimum height of 7 metres above HW sea level
because they do believe that this is a viable solution. It hasn't done
a lot for the view of the sea from seaside holiday resort boulevards
though.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Where do they get all the material (and money)?
Must be tens of thousands of tons.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
The Ouse floods every year, even in the 1940s when I was kid.
Most of the area that flooded then had no housing on it.

People were more sensible then !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Isn't it about time a hovercraft or two was used in floods? There are many
in the country, military, sport and commercial, yet when there's flooding,
not one to be seen.

A good suggestion.

I thought they had stooped making the commercially?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Any precautions/tips; preventing cold damage? John Benedict Orchids 5 05-02-2009 01:03 AM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
Periodical salt-water flooding Mike Lyle United Kingdom 5 20-11-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM