Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered User

Default Apple tree growth problems

Hi I moved into a new house 4 months ago and the house has two apple trees in the garden.

One of the apple trees appears to be doing fine but the other is doing so well.

The leaves are sparse on the branches and some the leaves are small and brown - I've attached some images.

Does anyone know why this would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple tree growth problems-img_0968.jpg   Apple tree growth problems-img_0969.jpg   Apple tree growth problems-img_0970.jpg
Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brob" wrote in message

Hi I moved into a new house 4 months ago and the house has two apple
trees in the garden.

One of the apple trees appears to be doing fine but the other is doing
so well.

The leaves are sparse on the branches and some the leaves are small and
brown - I've attached some images.

Does anyone know why this would be.

|Filename: IMG_0968.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15132|
|Filename: IMG_0969.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15133|
|Filename: IMG_0970.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15134|

Brob

Probably mildew due to the rather wet season, you can spray or you can
ignore it, I ignore it, some years its worse than others.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2012 11:34, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Brob" wrote in message

Hi I moved into a new house 4 months ago and the house has two apple
trees in the garden.

One of the apple trees appears to be doing fine but the other is doing
so well.

The leaves are sparse on the branches and some the leaves are small and
brown - I've attached some images.

Does anyone know why this would be.

|Filename: IMG_0968.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15132|
|Filename: IMG_0969.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15133|
|Filename: IMG_0970.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15134|

Brob

Probably mildew due to the rather wet season, you can spray or you can
ignore it, I ignore it, some years its worse than others.

I'd go with mildew, but also look in the growing-point for aphid.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2012 08:35, Brob wrote:
Hi I moved into a new house 4 months ago and the house has two apple
trees in the garden.

One of the apple trees appears to be doing fine but the other is doing
so well.

The leaves are sparse on the branches and some the leaves are small and
brown - I've attached some images.

Does anyone know why this would be.

|Filename: IMG_0968.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15132|
|Filename: IMG_0969.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15133|
|Filename: IMG_0970.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15134|

It doesn't look at all well to me, especially the fissured and blackened
branch growing across the pic. I can't be sure what's wrong. Could be
canker or oedema, but it looks sick. Also, there is quite a lot of
water shoot growth (those unnaturally straight growths sprouting along
the lateral growth).

There are certainly other lesser problems (fungal, pest), but if it were
my tree I would ask an expert to look at it. You could ask at a good
local garden centre or go straight to a tree surgeon - preferably one
who knows about apples and can explain a course of action to you, and
doesn't just want to chop it down. That won't be cheap, so it's a lot to
ask when you've just moved house.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 07/07/2012 08:35, Brob wrote:
Hi I moved into a new house 4 months ago and the house has two apple
trees in the garden.

One of the apple trees appears to be doing fine but the other is doing
so well.

The leaves are sparse on the branches and some the leaves are small and
brown - I've attached some images.

Does anyone know why this would be.

|Filename: IMG_0968.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15132|
|Filename: IMG_0969.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15133|
|Filename: IMG_0970.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15134|

It doesn't look at all well to me, especially the fissured and blackened
branch growing across the pic.
But is that actually part of the apple tree?
__________________

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-

It doesn't look at all well to me, especially the fissured and blackened

branch growing across the pic.

But is that actually part of the apple tree?

I wondered that at first, but it *is* in the foreground of the picture
(as if selected) and has similar watershoot growth on it, which
indicates poor pruning, which in itself can introduce disease. The more
I look at it, the more I think it could be fireblight.

The OP will hopefully come back and confirm if that limb is actually
part of the problem.