Old 13-07-2012, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flood area?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:42:27 +0100, Janet wrote:

You've gone off course. The "act of god get out" was proposed as an
excuse by the waterboard, should the flooded neighbourhood try to sue for
negligence.

No, I'm on course. I quoted a legal definition, not an insurance one.
Notwithstanding this, if an action is brought against the privatised
water company, it will be obliged to refer to its insurers.

Ask any insurer and they'll tell you it's
not worth bothering to refute a claim except in the most exceptional
circumstances.

??? Insurers often refuse claims by their clients . But the "act of
god" suggestion was not about insurance claims; it was a discussion of a
potential legal defence by the water authority .

I could have been clearer - refuting a claim on the "Act of God" basis
will be difficult in these circumstances. They (the authorities or
their insurers) may refute a claim on grounds of no liability and it
then becomes a case of disproving the refutation.

I have concerns that, in time, Baz may encounter problems obtaining or
financing insurance cover (and he's thinking of selling and moving, to
get a bigger garden, which will mean other obstacles to be overcome).
However he is "on the ground where he is". He has first hand knowledge
of what people are saying to him and he is thus better placed to judge
the honesty, or otherwise, of what he is being told.

Note that I mention my concerns that Baz may be wrong regarding future
insurance. (Plus, I recognise that he will have difficulty selling his
house now.) But I am not asserting that he IS wrong. No-one in this
group (apart from Baz) can assert that without first studying
documentation and speaking to those who have advised him.

I think that assessment by you is an error which disregards Baz's most
basic problem; he said he has dyslexia; a learning disability which makes
it very difficult to organise and assimilate information. He has
repeatedly demonstrated that problem on group, so there is every reason to
suppose the same applies IRL. To his interpretation, of what insurers or
solicitors say.

There are several sub-types of dyslexia.I grant that in this group Baz
has occasionally reacted (and has occasionally apologised for that),
presumably on the basis of a quick read of what is written and maybe a
quick temper. But I doubt very much that he is reading the
documentation he has acquired quickly - and, in the main, those with
dyslexia (I know several who are successful businessmen including an
accountant and a lawyer) simply need to read more slowly to assimilate
the facts; dyslexia, per se, does not affect their ability to
interpret the facts once assimilated. Plus Baz is clearly receiving
advice from his solicitor orally as well as in writing.

Baz has stated clearly in the past that his dyslexia impacts on
reading/writing and is not auditory.

When someone with dyslexia gets it wrong, patting him on the head and
telling him he knows best is absolutely no help to him.

You seem to imply that I am being patronising but if you are then it
is you who is being so. Re-read what I wrote - 'he is "on the ground
where he is". He has first hand knowledge of what people are saying to
him and he is thus better placed to judge the honesty, or otherwise,
of what he is being told.'

Note I use the word "saying", not "writing".

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
lid says...

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:32:00 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

They have this getout clause called "Actof God".

The concept of "Act of God" is qualified, generally as "an
overwhelming event caused exclusively by forces of nature, without
the possibility of prevention and without intervention by any human
agency."

To establish an "Act of God" it must be conclusively proven that
there is absolutely no human contribution.

For example, allowing houses to be built to such an extent as to
overwhelm existing drainage facilities is a human contribution
(whether or not the person or persons allowing this were aware of the
potential problem). Ditto, defining a flood risk but not doing
anything about it is a human contribution.

It is for the insurer to prove "Act of God" rather than for the
insured to prove otherwise.

[...]

Janet.

For your information, Janet, dyslexia is not a disease, and it does not
affect my judgement. Mine is a reading and writing disorder. It does not
make me "thick" or uneducated, I just have to try harder to understand
the written word.

I haven't called Dyslexia a disease, or related to intelligence; I have
said it makes it much harder to understand the written word. Reading for
sense, requires far more skill than just recognising individual words;
it's about understanding the words in their context ; and you very often
demonstrate that you miss that by a mile. *

My IQ is not an issue here as much as your delusions of
grandeur. Patting me on the head would only result in a verbal, but
polite volley from me, and possibly an allegation of assault.. Then it
would be up to the courts to decide who is an imbecile.

* See above. You misinterpreted. Nobody is about to assault or even
touch you IRL. In the context of a usenet discussion, "patting you on the
head" is a figure of speech, meaning, palming you off with platitudes.

I can read music, play the piano and a few other stringed instruments,
play Bridge, oh yes! write music. I am dextrous which is essential being
a carpenter and joiner, and my hobby which is restoring post war
motorcycles.

I don't doubt it. You asked earlier if there's anything I'm not expert
in, and there you have a good start on the very long list.

Janet.

Old 14-07-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
Janet wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

the written word. My IQ is not an issue here as much as your delusions of
grandeur. Patting me on the head would only result in a verbal, but
polite volley from me, and possibly an allegation of assault.. Then it
would be up to the courts to decide who is an imbecile.

For you information, my IQ has been tested many times during my life
because of my dyslexia. average over the years is 124 peaking at 133 when
I was 18 years old.
I can read music, play the piano and a few other stringed instruments,
play Bridge, oh yes! write music. I am dextrous which is essential being
a carpenter and joiner, and my hobby which is restoring post war
motorcycles. My main hobby now is gardening but I find time for all of
the above.
But, of course anyone can say that in a newsgroup. I am being sincere.

Baz

My son suffers with dyslexia. His IQ test results could vary from about
124 to 134 within a week.
--
hugh

Stolen or from a flood ? Srgnt Billko Lawns 4 26-12-2005 09:49 PM
flood underneath my liner kc Ponds 4 22-04-2005 03:48 PM
Flood tolerant shrubs/bushes Darren Garrison Gardening 5 23-01-2005 06:42 PM
Flood irrigation Scott sci.agriculture 12 25-08-2003 05:22 PM
[IBC] Junipers and the Weather - [IBC] The Flood Chriss Flagg Bonsai 0 09-06-2003 05:44 PM