Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this stuff?

Found on my doorstep. The giver doesn't know what it's called, can
anyone ID it? My plan was to try and brighten a shady corner, will that
work?

http://tinyurl.com/cbhkz6d

Thanks in advance,

-E
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-12 18:39:43 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Found on my doorstep. The giver doesn't know what it's called, can
anyone ID it? My plan was to try and brighten a shady corner, will that
work?

http://tinyurl.com/cbhkz6d

Thanks in advance,

-E

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

Phone pics, have to pay attention... Must be the rain's fault!

That could well be it, though. Thanks Sacha.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-12 18:39:43 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Found on my doorstep. The giver doesn't know what it's called, can
anyone ID it? My plan was to try and brighten a shady corner, will that
work?

http://tinyurl.com/cbhkz6d

Thanks in advance,

-E

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

I'll go with you on that Sacha, but here in our soggy climate it grows
in hedgerows, road verges and other partially shaded areas.
David @ a very wet end of Swansea Bay, it must have been my brief foray
into dahlia planting that has brought the rain back.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

I'll go with you on that Sacha, but here in our soggy climate it grows
in hedgerows, road verges and other partially shaded areas.
David @ a very wet end of Swansea Bay, it must have been my brief foray
into dahlia planting that has brought the rain back.

I have loads of this plant, I love it. It spreads easily, grows anywhere and
is a brilliant splash of brightness .
kate

Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

I'll go with you on that Sacha, but here in our soggy climate it grows
in hedgerows, road verges and other partially shaded areas.
David @ a very wet end of Swansea Bay, it must have been my brief foray
into dahlia planting that has brought the rain back.

I have loads of this plant, I love it. It spreads easily, grows anywhere and
is a brilliant splash of brightness .
kate

Ha, I got it right, but I would have just said Loosestrife!

Old 13-07-2012, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden
or on the edge of a pond.

Or in the green bin with Golden Rod...............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-07-2012, 04:45 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_4_] View Post
On 2012-07-12 18:39:43 +0100, Emery Davis said:

Found on my doorstep. The giver doesn't know what it's called, can
anyone ID it? My plan was to try and brighten a shady corner, will that
work?

Picasa Web Albums - Emery Davis - mystery gift ...

Thanks in advance,

-E

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

Phone pics, have to pay attention... Must be the rain's fault!

That could well be it, though. Thanks Sacha.
Pretty definitely Lysimachia, Yellow Loosestrife, but I'd have said it was vulgaris not punctata. Although punctata is the more common one in gardens.
__________________
Old 13-07-2012, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/12/2012 09:15 PM, Sheila wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

Pics a bit blurry (not to be rude) but it looks a bit like Lysimachia
punctata. If it is, it likes a rich moist soil and is good in sun or a
bit of shade but doesn't like to dry out. It's useful in a bog garden or
on the edge of a pond.

I'll go with you on that Sacha, but here in our soggy climate it grows
in hedgerows, road verges and other partially shaded areas.
David @ a very wet end of Swansea Bay, it must have been my brief foray
into dahlia planting that has brought the rain back.

I have loads of this plant, I love it. It spreads easily, grows anywhere
and
is a brilliant splash of brightness .
kate

Ha, I got it right, but I would have just said Loosestrife!

Thanks all, will get it whacked in first thing tomorrow.

Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn Ian Cundell United Kingdom 0 16-11-2003 05:23 PM
[IBC] White stuff David J. Bockman Bonsai 10 19-02-2003 03:03 PM
[IBC] More haw stuff Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2003 03:25 PM
[IBC] Arty stuff Colin Lewis Bonsai 0 11-02-2003 10:25 PM