Old 15-07-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Preserving peas

I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

Old 15-07-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars.

Peas are low acid, and must be pressure canned for safety, so the jars need
to be a type that will survive this and also fit whatever canning lids are
available.
In my own opinion, canned peas aren't fit to eat, though people who grew up
with them don't agree.
Is freezing an option?

Old 15-07-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars.

Peas are low acid, and must be pressure canned for safety, so the jars
need to be a type that will survive this and also fit whatever canning
lids are available.
In my own opinion, canned peas aren't fit to eat, though people who
grew up with them don't agree.
Is freezing an option?

Well, I love canned peas. Difference of opinion.
I suppose I could freeze them, but I want to jar them. If it is not safe to
do so then I will just have to freeze them, but they are large, over ripe
peas.

Thankyou, Gary, and best wishes.
Baz
Old 15-07-2012, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

Dry them. This is the traditional way. Never had "mushy peas?"

Old 15-07-2012, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Perhaps they'd be better made into soup and frozen that way, if
they're over large?

Never even thought of that, Sacha.

Have you got a url for me? Or recipe?

Thanks
Baz

Old 15-07-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harryagain" wrote in news:jtuvqb$fg0$1@dont-
email.me:

"Baz" wrote in message
I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

Dry them. This is the traditional way. Never had "mushy peas?"

Yes, but they are like bullets even after an overnight soak and cooked next
day. And yes I like mushy peas very much.

Baz
Old 15-07-2012, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-15 18:55:32 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

Perhaps they'd be better made into soup and frozen that way, if
they're over large?

Never even thought of that, Sacha.

Have you got a url for me? Or recipe?

Thanks
Baz

I can't find the tea room's recipe card but try this
http://britishfood.about.com/od/eore...-Ham-Soup-Reci
pe.htm It

may be better to add the ham after defrostiing pea soup. Then there's
also http://britishfood.about.com/od/menus/r/peasoup.htm
http://britishfood.about.com/od/psre...ionpeasoup.htm

Thanks, Sacha.
Just what the doctor ordered. Just NEVER use stock cubes. YUK.
Actually I like making my own stock. Just have to buy the veg this time.

MMMM pea soup with extra corriander and mint(thats all we have from the
garden) The peas are from a friend who I gave the seeds to.

We are going to start shelling the peas now.
Thanks. sacha
Baz
Old 15-07-2012, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

Dry them. This is the traditional way. Never had "mushy peas?"

Yes, but they are like bullets even after an overnight soak and cooked next
day. And yes I like mushy peas very much.

Baz

You have to let them ripen on the vine for "Dried peas"

Old 15-07-2012, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

Yes, but they are like bullets even after an overnight soak and
cooked next day. And yes I like mushy peas very much.

Baz

You have to let them ripen on the vine for "Dried peas"

Just asking, David
What difference does it make ripening on the vine or picking them when
mature? I know there must be a reason why you are saying that.

Thanks.
Baz
Old 15-07-2012, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

It's not safe to preserve peas in glass jars, there is a real risk of
botulism.
I'd go with Sacha's idea of freezing them as soup, as well as *as is* in
which case blanch them for a couple of minutes in boiling water, cool, and
freeze on open trays. Next day you can then pour into freezer bags and
they'll come out separately as required instead of in a lump.

Tina

Old 15-07-2012, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/07/2012 21:15, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

Yes, but they are like bullets even after an overnight soak and
cooked next day. And yes I like mushy peas very much.

Baz

You have to let them ripen on the vine for "Dried peas"

Just asking, David
What difference does it make ripening on the vine or picking them when
mature? I know there must be a reason why you are saying that.

Thanks.
Baz

If they haven't fully dried then there is a good chance that not all the
sugar will have turned to starch and there will be a good chance of
them going mouldy.

Old 15-07-2012, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:a6gom3Fsg9U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 15/07/2012 21:15, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

Yes, but they are like bullets even after an overnight soak and
cooked next day. And yes I like mushy peas very much.

Baz

You have to let them ripen on the vine for "Dried peas"

Just asking, David
What difference does it make ripening on the vine or picking them when
mature? I know there must be a reason why you are saying that.

Thanks.
Baz

If they haven't fully dried then there is a good chance that not all the
sugar will have turned to starch and there will be a good chance of
them going mouldy.

Ah! I see. But could they dried on trays? or similar, so long as they are
dry?

Thanks
Baz
Old 15-07-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

On 2012-07-15 18:55:32 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

[...]

You're most welcome. And you'll have all that yummy stuff stored up in
the freezer against the winter weather!

So the freezer didn't get flooded?

Janet
Old 16-07-2012, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

So the freezer didn't get flooded?

Janet

Crawl back under your stone.
W e a r e s t a y i n g a t s o n s h o u s e.
Old 17-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
I want to preserve a large amount of peas in glass jam jars. (I have lots
of jam jars and this year we were going to make some jam, obviously not
going to happen)

Any advice? Please.
Thanks
Baz

Hi Baz,

For mushy peas,I have tried this recipe myself and it is fantastic!!!

Tutorial | Mushy Peas Recipe | Arnside Fish And Chip Shop

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unless open