Old 18-07-2012, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping: Jake

Was wondering how your new Victoria plum is doing.
Mine has started to look much more healthy now the temperature has
increased. Still quite wet and soggy here.

Baz
Old 18-07-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Was wondering how your new Victoria plum is doing.
Mine has started to look much more healthy now the temperature has
increased. Still quite wet and soggy here.

Don't jknow about Jake's, but ours (2 years old, I think) is not at all
happy, with crinkley folded leaves and no fruit. :-(
Old 18-07-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:a6nm5gFeb0U1
@mid.individual.net:

Baz wrote:
Was wondering how your new Victoria plum is doing.
Mine has started to look much more healthy now the temperature has
increased. Still quite wet and soggy here.

Don't jknow about Jake's, but ours (2 years old, I think) is not at all
happy, with crinkley folded leaves and no fruit. :-(

Crinkly folded leaves. Could that be black or greenfly?
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new growth.
I have had to leave them that way until things warm up to prevent disease
when I prune them.
I think plum trees are the same, as in summer pruning to prevent disease.

Best of luck.
Baz
Old 18-07-2012, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Don't jknow about Jake's, but ours (2 years old, I think) is not at all
happy, with crinkley folded leaves and no fruit. :-(

Crinkly folded leaves. Could that be black or greenfly?

I think it probably is, yes.

My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the plum
instead.

Old 18-07-2012, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:a6no01FtkeU1
@mid.individual.net:

Baz wrote:
Don't jknow about Jake's, but ours (2 years old, I think) is not at all
happy, with crinkley folded leaves and no fruit. :-(

Crinkly folded leaves. Could that be black or greenfly?

I think it probably is, yes.

My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the plum
instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

Baz

Old 18-07-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the plum
instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

It is a bit. Last year we were happy to get 6 plums, with the expectation of
more this year. And now we have zilch. :'(
Old 18-07-2012, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new
growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the
plum instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

It is a bit. Last year we were happy to get 6 plums, with the
expectation of more this year. And now we have zilch. :'(

Same with our cherries. All we can do is prune them so the new growth
grows outwards and not into the middle of the tree, and hope that next year
will be kinder.

Baz
Old 18-07-2012, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:24:59 GMT, Baz wrote:

Was wondering how your new Victoria plum is doing.
Mine has started to look much more healthy now the temperature has
increased. Still quite wet and soggy here.

Baz

It's looking just as expected. Growing nicely, holding at about 6 feet
tall but no fruit this year.

OTOH, enjoying strawberries and raspberries in abundance. Some
cherries though not many but again expected as the cherry was last
year a little twig that I'd got free from somewhere and didn't know
what it was until it fruited this year. The blackcurrants have been
disappointing though.

I think apples and pears will be a washout.

Oh yes! Was wondering why raspberries were disappearing from low down
on the canes. Not nibbled bits, fruits cleanly removed. The culprit is
resident cat! Always thought he was a bit of a fruit case!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 18-07-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:10:10 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new
growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the
plum instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

It is a bit. Last year we were happy to get 6 plums, with the
expectation of more this year. And now we have zilch. :'(

Same with our cherries. All we can do is prune them so the new growth
grows outwards and not into the middle of the tree, and hope that next year
will be kinder.

Baz

Odd as, touch wood, I have found no white/green/black fly here at all
this year. Lily beetle have been out in profusion and I've had to
resort to Provado as I couldn't keep up with the squishing.

No noticeable slug problem either which surprises me a bit though that
may be down to the combo of healthy hog/frog/toad populations and an
overdose of nematode treatment. Just had one dahlia stripped bare
overnight and a little bit of hosta nibbling in the last few days.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 18-07-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
Odd as, touch wood, I have found no white/green/black fly here at all
this year. Lily beetle have been out in profusion and I've had to
resort to Provado as I couldn't keep up with the squishing.

How strange. We've had hardly any lily beetle, but the lilies are all
being eaten by slugs or snails instead. :-(

Old 18-07-2012, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Not then, a carbariumfruitandnuticunpopularis. AKA a Cadburys fruit and nut
case. Oh, thowse fwuit. Everyone's a fruit and nut case, go kwazy phor
those lovely nuts and raisens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8H4IC9ttIU

Baz
Old 18-07-2012, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:25:16 GMT, Baz wrote:

Not then, a carbariumfruitandnuticunpopularis. AKA a Cadburys fruit and nut
case. Oh, thowse fwuit. Everyone's a fruit and nut case, go kwazy phor
those lovely nuts and raisens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8H4IC9ttIU

Baz

Yeah! But a raspberry eating CAT!!!!! He turned his nose up at salmon
earlier, went out and came back with red fur around his mouth after
nicking half-a-dozen.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 18-07-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
My 2 cherry trees are riddled with blackfly at the tips on new
growth.

Ours were last year, not so bad this year. Obv. all headed for the
plum instead.

Sickening, isn't it!

It is a bit. Last year we were happy to get 6 plums, with the
expectation of more this year. And now we have zilch. :'(

Same with our cherries. All we can do is prune them so the new growth
grows outwards and not into the middle of the tree, and hope that next
year
will be kinder.

We have fruit on our apples but no plums at all

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Jake wrote in
:

[...]

lol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
We have fruit on our apples but no plums at all

There are 3 apples on the pot-bound tiny 2-year old apple tree Nick bought
for the communal bit of allotment then never planted. The tree in the
garden at the back has 3 fruit on it. :-(

Ping Jake Bill Grey United Kingdom 1 27-08-2013 11:07 AM
Ping: Jake Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 15 10-05-2013 03:21 PM
AD: Fence and trellis repair, maintenance made easy with Jake's Wire Tighteners C&C Fencing Supply Texas 0 04-04-2003 08:44 PM
AD: Versatile product for repairing Grape vine trellis wires, deer stand supports, fences: Jake's W C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 04-04-2003 08:32 PM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 01:43 AM