Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping: Jake

Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Baz
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Baz
.................................................. .......

I'm not Jake, but our Viccy Plum is poor. Just a couple of spots of blossom,
but nothing to write home about

Mike
South East Coast Isle of Wight

Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 12:06, Baz wrote:
Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Baz

Ours is a few years old, and espalier trained. It has lots of blossom -
or it did have before today's windy weather.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 12:06, Baz wrote:
Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Neighbours and most flowering cherry are out now - just in perfect time
to get hammered by the gale force winds My Japanese pear is also out.

Sloes more or less over. No trace of any apple blossom as yet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 May 2013 11:06:54 GMT, Baz wrote:

Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Baz

The buds are still breaking into leaf; no sign of any blossom yet. But
if you recall it was a late starter this year. Apples all seem to be
catching up now except for a Braeburn which has lots of leaf but not
the slightest sign of blossom buds. It didn't do anything last year
either. I may designate it a waste of space as it only produced one
apple the year before last!

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 13:21, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:05:35 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 09/05/2013 12:06, Baz wrote:
Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older one
is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Neighbours and most flowering cherry are out now - just in perfect time
to get hammered by the gale force winds My Japanese pear is also out.

Nashi pear? One of ours has been in flower for almost two weeks. The
other has no blossom and has only just come into leaf.

Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 23:16, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:33:44 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 09/05/2013 13:21, Martin wrote:

Nashi pear? One of ours has been in flower for almost two weeks. The
other has no blossom and has only just come into leaf.

Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

I have only seen one swallow so far this year and that was on Monday,
the same day that I heard a cuckoo.

Funnily enough the cuckoo arrived early here along with the curlew about
4-6 weeks ago. Both obvious by their well known calls.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

I have only seen one swallow so far this year and that was on Monday,
the same day that I heard a cuckoo.

Strange, I have only seen 1 swallow here so far, but visiting a local
firm based on an old farm last week the swallows were skimming around
the yard, and I was told they had been there for almost 3 weeks.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2013 09:21, David Hill wrote:
Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

I have only seen one swallow so far this year and that was on Monday,
the same day that I heard a cuckoo.

Strange, I have only seen 1 swallow here so far, but visiting a local
firm based on an old farm last week the swallows were skimming around
the yard, and I was told they had been there for almost 3 weeks.

Round here the farm ones do arrive about a week and a half earlier.
I guess they know that there are a lot more flies in the farmyard.

I have always assumed that they follow the food back up north.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:21:17 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

I have only seen one swallow so far this year and that was on Monday,
the same day that I heard a cuckoo.

Strange, I have only seen 1 swallow here so far, but visiting a local
firm based on an old farm last week the swallows were skimming around
the yard, and I was told they had been there for almost 3 weeks.

Plenty of swallows here, Adele won't leave the kitchen door open! The
cat is a great one for birds and mice outside, but in the house they just
don't appear to have the same savour...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Thu, 09 May 2013 11:06:54 GMT, Baz wrote:

Do you have any blossom on your Victoria plum?
I have a few on the "new" one, nothing to get excited about. The older
one is just leaf. No blossom at all.

Baz

The buds are still breaking into leaf; no sign of any blossom yet. But
if you recall it was a late starter this year. Apples all seem to be
catching up now except for a Braeburn which has lots of leaf but not
the slightest sign of blossom buds. It didn't do anything last year
either. I may designate it a waste of space as it only produced one
apple the year before last!

Yea, my Bramley apple is showing leaf but no blossom. Last year(its first
year) it had 2 or 3 nice ones. It's a long term thing, isn't it, with fruit
trees.

Good luck, Jake.
Baz

Ping Jake Bill Grey United Kingdom 1 27-08-2013 11:07 AM
Ping: Jake Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 20 19-07-2012 12:54 PM
AD: Fence and trellis repair, maintenance made easy with Jake's Wire Tighteners C&C Fencing Supply Texas 0 04-04-2003 08:44 PM
AD: Versatile product for repairing Grape vine trellis wires, deer stand supports, fences: Jake's W C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 04-04-2003 08:32 PM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 01:43 AM