Old 26-07-2012, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Update on bligh****ch - and volunteers

Having signed up and getting the alerts I noted that we have had some blight
at the allotment but it wasn't shown on the web site.
Also, I couldn't log into the website ot find anywhere to report the blight.
Queried this, and got the following response:

"Hello David, thanks for your interest in blight monitoring. Outbreak alerts
wont ever cover every area as they rely on volunteers to send in samples.

Blight monitoring usually involves sending in the first suspected case of
blight from an allotment. This year has caught everyone off-guard, so
samples are being sent to confirm an early case of blight.

The role involves sending in a sample of infected foliage to a laboratory
for analysis. Once analysed you will be told if it is blight or not (we do
get professionals that get it wrong sometimes). You would register the
sample by text which would put an orange dot on the national blight maps.
Once analysed, the dot will turn green for blight not present or red for
blight found, and you will be told via text. The sampling kit contains
everything you need including prepaid envelopes so there is no cost to you.

All positive samples are sent to another lab to determine the strain of
blight. We found a few years ago that blight was becoming more agressive, so
we looked at the type of blight and found the blight population had changed.
We monitor this every year now, so your sample would help with national
blight research. Once blight is confirmed on your allotment, I wouldn't need
further samples as they are likely to be the same strain of blight.

I hope this is enough information for you. If you would like to become a
blight monitor, I would need to register your details, so would need a
mobile number and postal address. You can also view/download a factsheet I
have put together at www.potato.org.uk/gardenblight

My colleague will look into the issue with web access. I think this is
because /blight is part of the farmer acces. You can view everything about
late blight in allotments and gardens from the link above.
"

So if you get blight you can sign up as a volunteer and send in samples.

Sounds like a good idea to me - think I'll give it a go.

Cheers

David
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 26-07-2012, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

I might do it too. I've had 5 blight alert emails up to now and did find
some sickly looking foliage on two plants which I pulled off and burnt. I
found another suspect plant yesterday.
Like yourself I found blight was not shown in my area on the website - but
how can it be confirmed if no-one sends in a sample? I don't suppose there
are people walking the country looking at allotments and potato fields for
our benefit.
I think it's a brilliant service and sending off a sample to help with
blight research wouldn't be much trouble.
Tina

Blightwatch and tomatoes David[_21_] United Kingdom 3 19-07-2015 05:42 PM
Full Smith period - Blightwatch David.WE.Roberts United Kingdom 15 21-06-2013 03:53 PM
Blightwatch Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 6 09-08-2009 04:42 PM
Pumpkin Volunteers Mkwilso Gardening 3 11-08-2003 06:07 AM
Volunteers wanted for research project Qwerty Gardening 1 21-02-2003 05:51 PM