Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default If you think it's too cool and wet in the UK...

....maybe you'd like to think about what it's been like in Kuwait this
week. On Tuesday the temperature hit 51°C - 124°F!

--

Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2012 10:53, Jeff Layman wrote:
...maybe you'd like to think about what it's been like in Kuwait this
week. On Tuesday the temperature hit 51°C - 124°F!

And on this very day last year it hit 53.5 °C, the highest ever
according to Wiki
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2012 11:53 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
...maybe you'd like to think about what it's been like in Kuwait this
week. On Tuesday the temperature hit 51°C - 124°F!

Just spent 2 wks in the states visiting family. It was murderously hot,
the worst in Washington DC, high 30s but felt like 40s in the sun (and
maybe was), all with 95% humidity. One step and I was completely
drenched. We went to the zoo with my 89 year old dad, it was hard
going. I think he did better than I!

It was a total and blessed relief to get back to the cool of Normandy...
although it looks like it has hardly rained, and the garden is a bit of
a mess. Raining now, thank goodness.

-E

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 08/03/2012 11:53 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
...maybe you'd like to think about what it's been like in Kuwait this
week. On Tuesday the temperature hit 51°C - 124°F!

Just spent 2 wks in the states visiting family. It was murderously hot,
the worst in Washington DC, high 30s but felt like 40s in the sun (and
maybe was), all with 95% humidity. One step and I was completely
drenched. We went to the zoo with my 89 year old dad, it was hard
going. I think he did better than I!

It was a total and blessed relief to get back to the cool of Normandy...
although it looks like it has hardly rained, and the garden is a bit of
a mess. Raining now, thank goodness.

-E

We Brits do moan about our weather, too wet, not hot enough etc but we don't
get the extremes that other countries get.
One of my American friends is consistently getting temperatures of over 100F
every day.
Last time I visited Germany it was in August. OMG, was it hot! 30C+ every
day for the two weeks I was there. I got horribly, agonisingly sunburnt
when we went out for the day at 9.30 a.m. (first day) and I hadn't realised
how the temps would rise.
After that I lathered myself with factor 30.
They also get up neck snow for weeks in winter.

I'm used to the weather here varying so much. I don't have to worry about
being fried or frozen for weeks on end. And it's a good topic for
conversation.

TinA

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

I was on a Baltic Cruise a couple or so weeks ago and when we went up the
Elba to Hamburg, it was too hot to sit on the balcony, I had to retreat to
the cabin

Mike

Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-03 22:51:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Grumble as we do, I think we're pretty lucky on the whole. This summer
has, indeed, been dreadful but we don't suffer the extremes of other
countries. Despite drought warnings, none of us is going to die of
thirst, lack of potable water or food.

I pay £8/month for the children in Africa.. I thought I might have to not do
it recently as as don't have enough to live on until July 2013 but I still
do. How can I not?
I have some money in the bank to live on until my pension kicks in, although
I have to be frugal.
Every pound makes a difference to those children. It pays for wells so they
can have clean water instead of dying from contaminated water. It pays for
high calorie food to keep those babies alive.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:16:13 AM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:

On 2012-08-03 22:51:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"

said:

[...]

Unless you have some way of paying your money direct to those in need, around about 80% of it its going to find it way into the coffers of some dodgy "charity" scamming business.

As the world situation worsens and the effects of global warming, and conflicts designed to further the interests of terror states become more common, those operating charity scamming will become more prolific, and no doubt those with little money to meet their own needs will continue to contribute!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"

I pay £8/month for the children in Africa.. I thought I might have to not do
it recently as as don't have enough to live on until July 2013 but I still
do. How can I not?
I have some money in the bank to live on until my pension kicks in, although
I have to be frugal.
Every pound makes a difference to those children. It pays for wells so they
can have clean water instead of dying from contaminated water. It pays for
high calorie food to keep those babies alive.
I hope you've thoroughly vetted which ever charity you donate to, frequently with some of the charities less than 10% gets to the children, the rest goes to professional fund raisers, bribes and overheads etc, you should always examine the accounts.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

Christina Websell;966159 Wrote:
"

[...]

Because I had a boat, I subscribed to the RNLI, but later on I went back
into ship and boat building and saw just how the RNLI wasted money. Never
subscribed to HQ at Poole again.

Mike

Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:05:31 PM UTC+1, Granity wrote:
[...]

Quite right............charities are big business nowadays, and in most cases tell blatant and rather obvious lies to get hold of your money.

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM