Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pi**ed off

Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the two
6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were also
missing.

Subject line says it all.

--
Kathy

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the
two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were also
missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with one
of those ultra violet pen thingies?

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2012 01:10, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the
two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were also
missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with one
of those ultra violet pen thingies?
I got a electric fence unit back once because I'd marked it. The police
were at a house a few miles away for a drug raid and there was my electric
fence unit with my post code on it which was reported as stolen by me a few
weeks before.
I don't know what the thieves expected to do with it. Duh.
Anyway, I got it back.
Nothing like that has ever happened again.

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

Another way of boosting your chances of returned property is to register
it with the National Property Register. See below:-

http://www.immobilise.com/

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-12 01:10:27 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the
two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were
also
missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with
one
of those ultra violet pen thingies?
I got a electric fence unit back once because I'd marked it. The police
were at a house a few miles away for a drug raid and there was my
electric
fence unit with my post code on it which was reported as stolen by me a
few
weeks before.
I don't know what the thieves expected to do with it. Duh.
Anyway, I got it back.
Nothing like that has ever happened again.

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

There's some kind of tracking device you can put into a computer's guts,
isn't there Perhaps it should be marketed for all garden machinery, too.
Having things pinched is a horrible feeling and a really maddening
experience.
--

Sacha

Dunno if this is any help but there are tracking devices you can have fitted
to just about anything; some provided a GPS location for the item, some are
detectable by a monitoring device. whether it is cost effective or not
depends on the value of the item. Our caravan, for example, has both types
and lots of microdots containing the chassis number of the caravan on the
furniture, equipment and accessories too (marking stuff with a UV marker
would do the same job but the applying the dots was quicker). That stuff
came from the org that runs the Caravan Registration and Information System
(CRIS) but no doubt there are similar systems available for other purposes.
There are also chips and programs you can fit to your computer that don't
just show where it is but allow you to take control of it. There was a
humorous report recently of someone who did just that, turned on the webcam
and not only had the location but also film of the person using it! I think
the thief pleaded guilty

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back

I had all my stuff marked but it didn't stop the burglars taking the
laptop, camera, and very old mobile phone.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the
two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were
also missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with
one of those ultra violet pen thingies?

No, but the next one will be.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

If somebody stole my computer, they would have an, er, 'interesting'
time trying to sell it :-)

It's very high end, for a home computer (yes, I am an extreme geek),
but with a slightly idiosyncratic specification. 16 cores (and no
Hypethreading) but a 2.1 GHz clock, a server motherboard (and ECC),
three 500 GB disks, a low-end CUDA-capable GeForce video card, but
no sound card (no, not at all). The average buyer for stolen goods
would go "yer, whaa?"

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

If somebody stole my computer, they would have an, er, 'interesting'
time trying to sell it :-)

It's very high end, for a home computer (yes, I am an extreme geek),
but with a slightly idiosyncratic specification. 16 cores (and no
Hypethreading) but a 2.1 GHz clock, a server motherboard (and ECC),
three 500 GB disks, a low-end CUDA-capable GeForce video card, but
no sound card (no, not at all). The average buyer for stolen goods
would go "yer, whaa?"

Cor!!! Umm I'll take your 500 GB disks though g

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 13-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
There's some kind of tracking device you can put into a computer's
guts, isn't there Perhaps it should be marketed for all garden
machinery, too.
But having located where your tracked item is, persuading the police to enter the property to retrieve it for you is another matter. Rather like the cyclists who had video evidence from their own cameras of being the victim of road rage or hit and run incidents, and who required court precedent to have it ruled admissible evidence, the police are very good at finding excuses as to why the evidence you supply is inadmissible, so that they don't have to do anything about it.
Old 13-08-2012, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back

I had all my stuff marked but it didn't stop the burglars taking the
laptop, camera, and very old mobile phone.
--

It doesn't stop people stealing it, but if it's retrieved you get it back.
Tina

Old 13-08-2012, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that the
two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit were
also missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with
one of those ultra violet pen thingies?

No, but the next one will be.

I got a electric fence unit back once because I'd marked it. The police
were at a house a few miles away for a drug raid and there was my
electric fence unit with my post code on it which was reported as stolen
by me a few weeks before.
I don't know what the thieves expected to do with it. Duh.
Anyway, I got it back.
Nothing like that has ever happened again.

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

I hope you have reported the theft to the police, and made a polite enquiry
as to whether it has been recorded as a crime?

Steve

Old 13-08-2012, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no
mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that
the two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit
were also missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

So sorry to hear this. Did you mark your mower with your post code with
one of those ultra violet pen thingies?

No, but the next one will be.

I got a electric fence unit back once because I'd marked it. The police
were at a house a few miles away for a drug raid and there was my
electric fence unit with my post code on it which was reported as
stolen by me a few weeks before.
I don't know what the thieves expected to do with it. Duh.
Anyway, I got it back.
Nothing like that has ever happened again.

Just in case, my computer is marked in a similar way. The likelihood of
someone breaking into my house is very low, but, hey, if they stole my
computer that would give me a chance of getting it back.

I hope you have reported the theft to the police, and made a polite
enquiry as to whether it has been recorded as a crime?

You haven't been following..

Old 14-08-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no
mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that
the two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit
were also missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

[...]

Actually I have, unless some posts in this thread haven't appeared on my
screen. So where does the OP state that she reported the theft of the mower
and posts to the police, or that she got confirmation that it has been
recorded as a crime?

The point of this is that if people don't do this, the statistics are skewed
and do not reveal the true level of crime in an area if a crime is recorded
as merely an incident.

Old 14-08-2012, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Kathy" wrote in message
Went down the lottie today and thought, as it hasn't rained for a few
days.that I would mow the central path. Opened the shed and - no
mower.
As I went off to see if my plot mate had borrowed it, I noticed that
the two 6ft posts I'd put in ready to wire up for the climbing fruit
were also missing.

Subject line says it all.

--

[...]

I haven't reported it to the police. The field is isolated down a long
lane, the shed was not locked and I hadn't been near it for a week.
Insurance wont pay out for those reasons and the police are hardly going to
arrest or question everyone in possesion of a Qualcast 30 push mower.

On the other hand, it was obviously someone on the field - they very
carefully put the brick holding the door shut back, which outside two legged
vermin would not have done, as well as leaving other tools. I have made my
feelings known to the field committee.

The point of this is that if people don't do this, the statistics are
skewed and do not reveal the true level of crime in an area if a crime is
recorded as merely an incident.

I'll mention it to our local PCSO and see what she has to say.

--
Kathy

Old 15-08-2012, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I haven't reported it to the police. The field is isolated down a long
lane, the shed was not locked and I hadn't been near it for a week.
Insurance wont pay out for those reasons and the police are hardly going
to arrest or question everyone in possesion of a Qualcast 30 push mower.

On the other hand, it was obviously someone on the field - they very
carefully put the brick holding the door shut back, which outside two
legged vermin would not have done, as well as leaving other tools. I
have made my feelings known to the field committee.

The point of this is that if people don't do this, the statistics are
skewed and do not reveal the true level of crime in an area if a crime
is recorded as merely an incident.

I'll mention it to our local PCSO and see what she has to say.

Why not put a notice on the shed door asking for your mower back when
the person who "borrowed" it has finished with it.