Old 26-09-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Losing pond fish food

Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

Old 26-09-2012, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2012 11:31, john ryan wrote:
Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

You could try Rice Crispies
Old 26-09-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2012 11:31, john ryan wrote:
Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

It is very difficult to stop foods sinking if that is their nature. I
have found that even some 'floating' food tends to sink eventually.
You could try putting in less rice at a time ... or consider nature's
remedy for the same problem.

Fish are generally divided up into three feeding groups:
Surface feeders - who snap up food from the surface;
Drift feeders - who feed as the food slowly sinks through the water;
Bottom feeders - who scavange in the mud and detritus on the bottom of
the pond.

Perhaps the addition of a few bottom-feeding fish (yes, I know how it
sounds!) will help clean up anything your goldfish miss.

It is possible to tell the feeding habit of fish by looking at the shape
of their mouth. Surface feeders have a somewhat 'smiley' up-ward facing
mouth shape. Drift feeders' mouths are forward-facing , and bottom
feeders have a slightly glum downward-facing mouth. Each type will
endeavour to reach a little out of their comfort zone, but they are
limited by their design for good reason. Evolution has sensibly
arranged it so each type of fish can find food for survival.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 26-09-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, interesting about the rice crispies; i'm now wondering what other
cereals are good floaters. Also i'm thinking about putting food in a little
net attached to a cork?

Old 26-09-2012, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2012-09-26 11:31:03 +0100, "john ryan" said:

Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

I can't see that they're going to get much nutrition from that, given
that fish food is mainly made up of other fishy things!

No, carp are omnivorous. They couldn't survive on a diet of almost
all cooked rice, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-09-2012, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john ryan" wrote in message
Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

Fish need a balanced diet just as you do. Have you considered bulk buying on
Ebay?
Feeding nothing but rice could be looked on poorly by RSPCA.

Pete C

Old 26-09-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john ryan" wrote

Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

Get yourself a packet/tub of Tetra pond fish food and look at the
ingredients. That alone will tell you that what you suggest is not
sufficient for your fishes long term health. Wholewheat bread is just about
OK in the height of summer when the water is warm, this time of year easily
digested food is essential.
Anyway, you will soon be stopping feeding for this year when the water
temperature falls below 50°F.
Better to check water butts for mossy larvae and feed them to your fish.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

Some goldfish turn out to be carp.

Goldfish (a colour variation of the Gibel Carp) are Carassius auratus and
are a member of the carp family. I remember during a fishing competition
one angler caught a goldfish of well over 2lbs, they get big given the
chance.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-09-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2012-09-26 11:31:03 +0100, "john ryan" said:

Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them,
rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

I can't see that they're going to get much nutrition from that, given
that fish food is mainly made up of other fishy things!

No, carp are omnivorous. They couldn't survive on a diet of almost
all cooked rice, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Could humans survive on just cooked rice? It turns out a women astounded
doctors a few years back, she ate nothing but tinnned rice pudding for years
!

Old 28-09-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john brooks wrote:

Could humans survive on just cooked rice? It turns out a women astounded
doctors a few years back, she ate nothing but tinnned rice pudding for years

Well, was claimed to in the press! Also, tinned rice pudding has a
lot more in it than plain rice.

The answer is "no". We would get scurvy and die. Even with added
vitamin C, we would get other deficiencies and die slowly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fish losing pigmentation Nik Simpson Ponds (moderated) 4 10-01-2011 05:12 PM
Losing Fish over wintering Paul Ponds 6 03-03-2007 03:48 PM
Losing fish!! Please help me find the Koi Killer!! John Ponds 13 09-06-2004 03:10 PM
HELP 15LBS of food spilled into pond! fish have broken backs! David Ponds 0 22-11-2003 06:32 AM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 02:32 PM