Old 19-01-2004, 08:11 PM
klara King

Default Lakeland's plant ties???

... Or whatever they call it? The brown elastic tubing for tying up
plants? Someone recommended it on here last year, or maybe the year
before. I got it and happily tied up everything in sight ... but now I
can't find it any more on their website. If it's still there, could
someone tell me what they call it? And if not, has anyone seen it
anywhere else,

Many thanks!

Un-tied-up

Klara

Old 19-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Mike

--

Have a look at 'Plastics by Post' and see if they do what you want.

I don't live too far away so if you want me to check something out, I can do
with pleasure

www.plasticsbypost.net

Not been through the site, but I was in their shop a couple of weeks ago and
they seem to have everything :-))

Mike

Old 19-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Spider

Hello Klara,
I bought mine at RHS Garden Wisley, in the garden centre shop.
Since then, I've seen it in other good garden centres.
Spider

Old 19-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Spider
writes
klara King wrote in message

.. Or whatever they call it? The brown elastic tubing for tying up
plants? Someone recommended it on here last year, or maybe the year
before. I got it and happily tied up everything in sight ... but now I
can't find it any more on their website. If it's still there, could
someone tell me what they call it? And if not, has anyone seen it
anywhere else,

Many thanks!

Un-tied-up

Klara

Whatever happened to recycling old pairs of tights? And what about
velcro? I find this very useful.
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Old 20-01-2004, 09:12 AM
klara King

In message , Spider
writes
Hello Klara,
I bought mine at RHS Garden Wisley, in the garden centre shop. Since
then, I've seen it in other good garden centres. Spider

Thanks, Spider, I'll have a look .. and I was planning a Spring visit to
Wisley anyway!
Klara
(Surrey/Sussex border)

Old 20-01-2004, 09:12 AM
klara King

In message , Chris Boulby
writes
Whatever happened to recycling old pairs of tights? And what about
velcro? I find this very useful.

Used all the skin-coloured ones on the rhodies; wouldn't the rose
trellis festooned in black tights look a bit ... well ... ?
Most of what I need to tie up are climbers, and for that this tubing is
ideal, though admittedly not cheap - velcro sounds great for the bigger
things, but surely even more expensive?
Klara
(Surrey/Sussex border)

Old 20-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Chris Boulby

n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes
Whatever happened to recycling old pairs of tights? And what about
velcro? I find this very useful.

Used all the skin-coloured ones on the rhodies; wouldn't the rose
trellis festooned in black tights look a bit ... well ... ?
Most of what I need to tie up are climbers, and for that this tubing is
ideal, though admittedly not cheap - velcro sounds great for the bigger
things, but surely even more expensive?
Klara
(Surrey/Sussex border)

I got my garden velcro very cheaply at the local garden centre, can't
remember how much I paid, but it is more re-usable than anything I've
had before, and it is so much easier to deal with - and is totally
reliable, doesn't move at all, but if I peel it off and re-wind it
around the place I want to secure, it is solid. Wasn't convinced at
first, but now I swear by it for more permanent tying.

I first got it when my Hamamelis was snapped near the base during a
hurricane. It had cost more than I care to remember, and I was quite
devastated. I used the velcro and now carefully take off and
re-position when it needs it. The hamamelis is still (8 years on) only
little, about 3ft tall now, with a spreading habit, but it has never
looked back since I used the velcro to bring its trunk back together,
and I think they have now grafted together with the help of the velcro
fastening. It is in bloom right now, and looking lovely. So, I'm all
for the velcro approach.

As for tights, well, I guess I agree, black tights might look a bit
nasty on nice new trellis but they are also something I use regularly
when a bit of elasticity is called for. They go green with lichen etc
after a few years and you don't even notice them.
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Old 20-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Chris Boulby

n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes

Old 20-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Chris Boulby

n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes

Old 20-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Chris Boulby

n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes

Old 21-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Chris Boulby" wrote in message
n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes
Whatever happened to recycling old pairs of tights?

As for tights, well, I guess I agree, black tights might look a bit
nasty on nice new trellis but they are also something I use regularly
when a bit of elasticity is called for. They go green with lichen etc
after a few years and you don't even notice them.
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Brings to mind an embarrassing episode while in my 20's, I was stopped and
searched by the police on my way back from the local shops (I had popped to
the post office mid gardening) The local petrol station had just been robbed
and I apparently looked disreputable enough to get the blame! Having a
pocket full of shredded ladies tights did not exactly enhance my image :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Jay

"klara King" wrote in message

.. Or whatever they call it? The brown elastic tubing for tying up
plants? Someone recommended it on here last year, or maybe the year
before. I got it and happily tied up everything in sight ... but now I
can't find it any more on their website. If it's still there, could
someone tell me what they call it? And if not, has anyone seen it
anywhere else,

Many thanks!

Un-tied-up

Klara
--

Hi
I know you have lots of other suggestions but Lakeland told me this time
last year that they had discontinued it.
Jay

Old 21-01-2004, 04:44 PM
John Towill

"klara King" wrote in message

.. Or whatever they call it? The brown elastic tubing for tying up
plants? Someone recommended it on here last year, or maybe the year
before. I got it and happily tied up everything in sight ... but now I
can't find it any more on their website. If it's still there, could
someone tell me what they call it? And if not, has anyone seen it
anywhere else,

Many thanks!

Un-tied-up

Klara
--

Hi
I know you have lots of other suggestions but Lakeland told me this time
last year that they had discontinued it.
Jay

Last Winter they told me that they only stock during Spring/Summer, and
indeed I bought some both Spring and summer last year. :-)
Cheers
John T
--
All emails and attachments are virus checked
with Norton before transmission.