Old 20-10-2012, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is this it for the year?

Sitting here listening to the rain.
The ground is waterlogged and has been for some time.
We were planning to do some digging on the allotment starting in a few weeks
time but the whole place will be unworkable at this level of water.

So is this it as far as digging beds is concerned or will there be a chance
later in the year?
I just can't work out if there will be enough daylight on sunny days to dry
out the soil once the ground has reached this state.
Once frosts start I think that the water just stays there.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 21-10-2012, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/2012 22:05, David WE Roberts wrote:
Sitting here listening to the rain.
The ground is waterlogged and has been for some time.
We were planning to do some digging on the allotment starting in a few
weeks time but the whole place will be unworkable at this level of water.

So is this it as far as digging beds is concerned or will there be a
chance later in the year?
I just can't work out if there will be enough daylight on sunny days to
dry out the soil once the ground has reached this state.
Once frosts start I think that the water just stays there.

Cheers

Dave R

You could trudge about just pushing your fork down as far as possible,
and even working it to and fro if you can. Getting that done before the
frosts would be a job well done IME.
Old 21-10-2012, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote

, David WE Roberts wrote:
Sitting here listening to the rain.
The ground is waterlogged and has been for some time.
We were planning to do some digging on the allotment starting in a few
weeks time but the whole place will be unworkable at this level of water.

So is this it as far as digging beds is concerned or will there be a
chance later in the year?
I just can't work out if there will be enough daylight on sunny days to
dry out the soil once the ground has reached this state.
Once frosts start I think that the water just stays there.

You could trudge about just pushing your fork down as far as possible, and
even working it to and fro if you can. Getting that done before the frosts
would be a job well done IME.

But walking on the soil when it's in this state is not a good idea.
Certainly ours would pack down to solid and take a long time to get back to
friable.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-10-2012, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote
, David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

That's my problem, too. There is essentially no evaporation from
now until March, and the only way that water can get away is to
drain away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.