Old 23-10-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

Hi,
A couple of questions.

1) I've noticed that a fair few of my tomatoes are falling from
the plants before they are ripe, rotting at the stalk end (not the
blossom end). Any idea of the cause(s)?

2) We hear about ripening tomatoes with a banana, but is it a
whole banana, the fruit or the skin? Is it just near by, wrapped
up or even in the fridge?

Many Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 23-10-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Hi,
A couple of questions.

1) I've noticed that a fair few of my tomatoes are falling from
the plants before they are ripe, rotting at the stalk end (not the
blossom end). Any idea of the cause(s)?

2) We hear about ripening tomatoes with a banana, but is it a
whole banana, the fruit or the skin? Is it just near by, wrapped
up or even in the fridge?

Many Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

1) Don't know but our plums did the same thing

1) Either a whole Banana or just the skin, BUT, a whole Banana works better
and lasts longer AND, then you can eat it ;-)

Mike

Old 23-10-2012, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Hi,
A couple of questions.

1) I've noticed that a fair few of my tomatoes are falling from
the plants before they are ripe, rotting at the stalk end (not the
blossom end). Any idea of the cause(s)?

I think it's frost damage. A light frost gets mine every year in the same
way.

2) We hear about ripening tomatoes with a banana, but is it a
whole banana, the fruit or the skin? Is it just near by, wrapped
up or even in the fridge?

I find that green tomatoes ripen in the dark without anything. I have done
both at the same time, banana and no banana. Both the same.

Many Thanks

Baz
Old 23-10-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/2012 17:53, Baz wrote:
Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Hi,
A couple of questions.

1) I've noticed that a fair few of my tomatoes are falling from
the plants before they are ripe, rotting at the stalk end (not the
blossom end). Any idea of the cause(s)?

I think it's frost damage. A light frost gets mine every year in the same
way.

2) We hear about ripening tomatoes with a banana, but is it a
whole banana, the fruit or the skin? Is it just near by, wrapped
up or even in the fridge?

I find that green tomatoes ripen in the dark without anything. I have done
both at the same time, banana and no banana. Both the same.

Many Thanks

Baz

Interesting! Mine are in a drawer with a ripe tomato but I'll try some
without
Old 24-10-2012, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger Tonkin wrote:
These are tomatoes that have turned yellow and are starting to
piren, but with the cold weather forecast, I've picked them and
brought them indoors. At the moment they are on a southerly window
cill. Would they be better in the dark?

Off topic, but I picked a red outdoor tomato this morning! :-)
(I'm expecting it to be the last)
Old 24-10-2012, 09:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Warmth is the most important. Putting them in the dark doesn't help, but I'm not sure that it does any harm. I'd leave them on the window-sill, and I'd leave some sort of ripe fruit with them.

Last year I had a big bowl of green and orange tomatoes on the kitchen worksurface. Red ones never appeared, but the level of tomatoes in the bowl went down. I realised my son was snaffling the ripe ones the instant they became ripe ;-)
__________________
Old 27-10-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/2012 17:19, 'Mike' wrote:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Hi,
A couple of questions.

1) I've noticed that a fair few of my tomatoes are falling from
the plants before they are ripe, rotting at the stalk end (not the
blossom end). Any idea of the cause(s)?

2) We hear about ripening tomatoes with a banana, but is it a
whole banana, the fruit or the skin? Is it just near by, wrapped
up or even in the fridge?

Many Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

1) Don't know but our plums did the same thing

1) Either a whole Banana or just the skin, BUT, a whole Banana works
better and lasts longer AND, then you can eat it ;-)

Mike

I put them in a plastic bag with the whol;e banan until the time comes
to eat it then just the skin.

Old 27-10-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
. com...
On 23/10/2012 17:19, 'Mike' wrote:

[...]

""Waste not want not"" ..... ;-)