Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roundup weeding

Sacha wrote:

It's a translocated weedkiller, which means the weed has to be in
active growth to move the chemical from where it makes contact (the
leaves) to where it takes effect (the roots). Applying it in the dark
rainy cold days of November is a waste of money.

Thanks for the warning.
I should have said that the garden in question is in Italy,
and there were a few very sunny days after I applied the roundup.
But I'll read the label as you suggest before applying it next time.

Saying where your garden is is of the utmost importance. I know I go
on and on about this but really, how can anyone advise anyone else if
they don't know where they're gardening? Is there an Italian gardening
group which would help you with queries like this?

I'm sure there is.
The Italians strike me as even more fanatical about gardening
than the English.
Actually, I haven't seen Roundup sold in Italy.
Certainly the local garden centre (quite large) doesn't stock it.
I asked last week for "Feed and Weed" there for our little patch of grass,
but the expert refused to sell it to me as he said it was much too late
in the year and would be a waste of money.

And even then, which part of Italy? Piemonte or Apulia?

It's in eastern Tuscany, near Umbria.
It's quite cold now, and there has been a huge amount of rain
in the last week.
Someone told me the annual rainfall here is higher than in Dublin,
where I live. The difference is that it is spread over the whole year
in Ireland, while here it is concentrated in torrential downpours.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , says...

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

Read the label next time.

It's a translocated weedkiller, which means the weed has to be in
active growth to move the chemical from where it makes contact (the
leaves) to where it takes effect (the roots). Applying it in the dark
rainy cold days of November is a waste of money.

http://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/content.../Roundup/Best%
20Practice/Weather%20Conditions.mspx

Janet

I got rid of some ferns by first cutting them right back then spraying the
new shoots with roundup. That did the job.

Bill

Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I got rid of some ferns by first cutting them right back then spraying the
new shoots with roundup. That did the job.

Bill

Do you mean ferns, or do you mean bracken?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2012 17:04, Ken wrote:

As I said I don't like Monsanto at all and you should *NOT* buy

RoundUp(TM) for precisely *THAT* reason. If you look back through the

urg and rec.garden archives you will find that I have been saying the

same thing ever since the GM controversy exploded.

Glyphosate is pretty benign - the wetting agents used in commercial

pesticide formulations are more dangerous.

As you seem to know better than those whose recent scientific study suggested very strongly that using Roundup may well result in serious health problems, I think it is clearly your duty to inform them they are wrong.

You mean the recent scare "study" that showed that if you overfeed rats
genetically prone to get cancer when overweight massive amounts of GM
food they not surprisingly die of cancer. If anything all that showed
was the the GM grain was more nutritious than the normal stuff.

As to Monsanto the power of the $$$$ in the US has meant they have been able to get laws introduced which mean small holders face fines of up to $1 million, and or imprisonment, if they use anything other than products made by Monsanto and stipulated by law..........personally I would have though that alone would make most think twice about buying Monsanto products.

As I said above I strongly recommend that people do not buy Monsanto
products or Roundup.

There are plenty of generic clones. It is worth buying the one with the
greatest concentration per unit cost. This time of year they are
clearing out to make room for Santa so you can buy it at a discount.
(maybe two weeks ago) Kept unopened and frost free is keeps well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ken Ken is offline

You mean the recent scare "study" that showed that if you overfeed rats

genetically prone to get cancer when overweight massive amounts of GM

food they not surprisingly die of cancer. If anything all that showed

was the the GM grain was more nutritious than the normal stuff.

The only thing that suggests a "scare study" is the MSM which strangely is owned and controlled by PC corporations very much like Monsanto..........

Worrying than the MSM is taken seriously still, even though they have lied to us time and time again, over almost everything.