Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roundup weeding

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2012 12:36, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

If you wish. There is probably enough rain about and the plants are
barely growing any more that the Roundup you applied was wasted anyway.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:36:12 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

There will probably not be any effect. Roundup has added agents
(compared to pure Glyphosate) which speed up the effect of the
herbicide (these additions are one reason why many don't use Roundup)
and you will see results often within 24 hours or less. But Roundup
still needs drier weather than we've been having and the weeds need to
be actively growing. Mid-late September is generally the latest time
to apply.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

It's a translocated weedkiller, which means the weed has to be in
active growth to move the chemical from where it makes contact (the
leaves) to where it takes effect (the roots). Applying it in the dark
rainy cold days of November is a waste of money.

Thanks for the warning.
I should have said that the garden in question is in Italy,
and there were a few very sunny days after I applied the roundup.
But I'll read the label as you suggest before applying it next time.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Original Jake wrote:

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

There will probably not be any effect. Roundup has added agents
(compared to pure Glyphosate) which speed up the effect of the
herbicide (these additions are one reason why many don't use Roundup)
and you will see results often within 24 hours or less. But Roundup
still needs drier weather than we've been having and the weeds need to
be actively growing. Mid-late September is generally the latest time
to apply.

Thanks for the advice.
There has been no noticeable affect so far,
so I guess your and others' warning that I was too late
are almost certainly true.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2012 15:50, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The Original Jake wrote:

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

There will probably not be any effect. Roundup has added agents
(compared to pure Glyphosate) which speed up the effect of the
herbicide (these additions are one reason why many don't use Roundup)
and you will see results often within 24 hours or less. But Roundup
still needs drier weather than we've been having and the weeds need to
be actively growing. Mid-late September is generally the latest time
to apply.

Thanks for the advice.
There has been no noticeable affect so far,
so I guess your and others' warning that I was too late
are almost certainly true.

I'd still give it 2 to 3 weeks to see if there are any results, as
translation will be slow at this time of year
Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Original Jake wrote:

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

There will probably not be any effect. Roundup has added agents
(compared to pure Glyphosate) which speed up the effect of the
herbicide (these additions are one reason why many don't use Roundup)
and you will see results often within 24 hours or less. But Roundup
still needs drier weather than we've been having and the weeds need to
be actively growing. Mid-late September is generally the latest time
to apply.

Thanks for the advice.
There has been no noticeable affect so far,

If it was glyphosate used correctly then you shouldn't actually see much
happening until two weeks have elapsed unless it is very warm. First
signs are that the growing tips go yellow after a week. Stone dead and
yellow orange after 3-4 weeks. Characteristic appearance.

so I guess your and others' warning that I was too late
are almost certainly true.

It should say on the instructions "use only when in active growth".
Most things now are shedding leaves.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Original Jake wrote:

[...]

But remember he has now said this is in Italy.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
The Original Jake wrote:

I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,
but they are not dead yet.
Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

There will probably not be any effect. Roundup has added agents
(compared to pure Glyphosate) which speed up the effect of the
herbicide (these additions are one reason why many don't use Roundup)
and you will see results often within 24 hours or less. But Roundup
still needs drier weather than we've been having and the weeds need to
be actively growing. Mid-late September is generally the latest time
to apply.

Thanks for the advice.
There has been no noticeable affect so far,
so I guess your and others' warning that I was too late
are almost certainly true.

Quite possibly, though it can take a couple of weeks anyway to notice
the effect on the plants, SO I give a bit longer.

And they don't tend to shrivel up to start with. A yellowing of the
leaf tips is probably the first sign
--
Chris French

Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, November 2, 2012 12:36:12 PM UTC, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,

but they are not dead yet.

Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

Found this the other day:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035221_Ro...od_supply.html

Seriously thinking of not using Roundup again now!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2012 09:42, Baz wrote:
On Friday, November 2, 2012 12:36:12 PM UTC, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,

but they are not dead yet.

Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

Found this the other day:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035221_Ro...od_supply.html

This lot aRE scare mongering. I don't like Monsanto at all since their
way of encouraging overuse of Glyphosate and inadequate crop rotation is
responsible for the generation of new RoundUp Ready superweeds.

Seriously thinking of not using Roundup again now!

Definitely *DO NOT* use RoundUp(TM) unless you want to contribute to the
global monopolistic power of Monsanto and they "Gerritdownyernecks"
approach to GM foods. They are the bad guys.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Generic glyphosate products are available widely and represent probably
the most environmentally friendly way of killing weeds provided that you
are not irrationally afraid of "chemicals".

Even digging them out by hand produces human wastes that have to be
disposed of at a sewage plant.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This lot aRE scare mongering. I don't like Monsanto at all since their

way of encouraging overuse of Glyphosate and inadequate crop rotation is

responsible for the generation of new RoundUp Ready superweeds.

Just like past "scare mongering" about cigarette smoking and nuclear power I guess? Both of which have proved to be completely benign, and unlikely to be harmful in any way.

Monsanto cares only about making money, and has no worries about selling products which are unsafe and have not been properly tested, as long as the cash continues to roll in.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2012 10:05, Baz wrote:

This lot aRE scare mongering. I don't like Monsanto at all since their

way of encouraging overuse of Glyphosate and inadequate crop rotation is

responsible for the generation of new RoundUp Ready superweeds.

Just like past "scare mongering" about cigarette smoking and nuclear power I guess? Both of which have proved to be completely benign, and unlikely to be harmful in any way.

No. More like the "scare mongering" about MMR and mobile phones frying
your brains. The former has actually caused serious fatalities too.

Monsanto cares only about making money, and has no worries about selling products which are unsafe and have not been properly tested, as long as the cash continues to roll in.

As I said I don't like Monsanto at all and you should *NOT* buy
RoundUp(TM) for precisely *THAT* reason. If you look back through the
urg and rec.garden archives you will find that I have been saying the
same thing ever since the GM controversy exploded.

Glyphosate is pretty benign - the wetting agents used in commercial
pesticide formulations are more dangerous.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in news:38549d74-8688-422b-a59e-
:

On Friday, November 2, 2012 12:36:12 PM UTC, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I put Roundup on a big patch of weeds about 1 week ago,

but they are not dead yet.

Can I pull up the weeds now without losing the effect?

Found this the other day:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035221_Ro...od_supply.html

Seriously thinking of not using Roundup again now!

Steerpkie, you are a fruitcake. If you like my name so much, why not change
yours to mine by deed poll? Better still, why not just join in with the
rest of us and try to help eachother? It's easier.
But I don't think you have a garden and aren't interested with this group,
other than trying to disrupt it. I bet you were a horrible child.

Baz
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ken Ken is offline

As I said I don't like Monsanto at all and you should *NOT* buy

RoundUp(TM) for precisely *THAT* reason. If you look back through the

urg and rec.garden archives you will find that I have been saying the

same thing ever since the GM controversy exploded.

Glyphosate is pretty benign - the wetting agents used in commercial

pesticide formulations are more dangerous.

--

Regards,

Martin Brown

As you seem to know better than those whose recent scientific study suggested very strongly that using Roundup may well result in serious health problems, I think it is clearly your duty to inform them they are wrong.

As to Monsanto the power of the $$$$ in the US has meant they have been able to get laws introduced which mean small holders face fines of up to $1 million, and or imprisonment, if they use anything other than products made by Monsanto and stipulated by law..........personally I would have though that alone would make most think twice about buying Monsanto products.