Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foragers Hedgerow Mix

2 years ago I bought 25 bareroot Elderberry bushes, gold-leaf variety.
They're doing great on the allotment, hopefully some fruit in '13. I'd be
tempted to get a Foragers Mix if my allotment was on the border with the
adjoining farm, but sadly not.
I have no fiscal interest with Hedge nursery but I thought I'd share this
link. They also do an Intruder-proof hedge at 47p +vat per plant.

http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/produc... 04%2F11%2F12

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:34:26 AM UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:

2 years ago I bought 25 bareroot Elderberry bushes, gold-leaf variety.
They're doing great on the allotment, hopefully some fruit in '13. I'd be
tempted to get a Foragers Mix if my allotment was on the border with the
adjoining farm, but sadly not.
I have no fiscal interest with Hedge nursery but I thought I'd share this
link. They also do an Intruder-proof hedge at 47p +vat per plant.
http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/produc... 04%2F11%2F12

But why pay? Go to your local bit of wild ground, pick twigs & berries to stick in the ground. I'd forget the pears, and include a few more.

NT
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2012 09:46, wrote:
On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:34:26 AM UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:

2 years ago I bought 25 bareroot Elderberry bushes, gold-leaf
variety. They're doing great on the allotment, hopefully some
fruit in '13. I'd be tempted to get a Foragers Mix if my allotment
was on the border with the adjoining farm, but sadly not. I have no
fiscal interest with Hedge nursery but I thought I'd share this
link. They also do an Intruder-proof hedge at 47p +vat per plant.
http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/produc... 04%2F11%2F12

But why pay? Go to your local bit of wild ground, pick twigs &
berries to stick in the ground. I'd forget the pears, and include a
few more.

NT

As with any plant, I guess what you're buying is x years of proven
growth. Most, but not all, of my cuttings die, and often they take a
year to do that.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

/
/As with any plant, I guess what you're buying is x years of proven
/growth. Most, but not all, of my cuttings die, and often they take a
/year to do that.

Yes I agree, out of the 25 bare root, 2 year old elderberry plants I
purchased, 24 were 'takers'. Mind you, I received them in October, which is
the best time to plant. 2 years on, they're all about 1 metre high, so
hopefully, 2013 will be a reasonable Summer ...

The guy in my homebrew shop, showed an interest in them, but he only wanted
a couple for his garden. So I took a dozen cuttings in July, popped them in
my coldframe, but so far only 4 have survived. Come Spring, will any be
alive? I have my doubts. Maybe July is too early for cuttings or (more
likely) the golden leaved variety, is a touch more finicky the native
Sambucus nigra.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The guy in my homebrew shop, showed an interest in them, but he only
wanted a couple for his garden. So I took a dozen cuttings in July,
popped them in my coldframe, but so far only 4 have survived. Come
Spring, will any be alive? I have my doubts. Maybe July is too early for
cuttings or (more likely) the golden leaved variety, is a touch more
finicky the native Sambucus nigra.

I'd take cuttings now and leave them outside to root, or take some in
the late spring and keep them covered.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

The guy in my homebrew shop, showed an interest in them, but he only
wanted a couple for his garden. So I took a dozen cuttings in July,
popped them in my coldframe, but so far only 4 have survived. Come
Spring, will any be alive? I have my doubts. Maybe July is too early for
cuttings or (more likely) the golden leaved variety, is a touch more
finicky the native Sambucus nigra.

/
/I'd take cuttings now and leave them outside to root, or take some in
/the late spring and keep them covered.

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a whorl.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 10:02:33 AM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 04/11/2012 09:46, wrote:
On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:34:26 AM UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:

2 years ago I bought 25 bareroot Elderberry bushes, gold-leaf
variety. They're doing great on the allotment, hopefully some
fruit in '13. I'd be tempted to get a Foragers Mix if my allotment
was on the border with the adjoining farm, but sadly not. I have no
fiscal interest with Hedge nursery but I thought I'd share this
link. They also do an Intruder-proof hedge at 47p +vat per plant.
http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/produc... 04%2F11%2F12

But why pay? Go to your local bit of wild ground, pick twigs &
berries to stick in the ground. I'd forget the pears, and include a
few more.

As with any plant, I guess what you're buying is x years of proven
growth. Most, but not all, of my cuttings die, and often they take a
year to do that.

Yup, you do need to plant several times as many and roll the dice. I'd rather do that than dig 75 holes though. People's priorities vary.

NT

Best time of year to trim hedgerow BluntChisel United Kingdom 17 20-07-2011 03:20 PM
Walnut in a hedgerow ? angel_orto Gardening 4 04-05-2010 04:52 PM
Has anybody planted a fairly long hedgerow? Ben Phlat Gardening 4 14-12-2006 12:34 AM
hedgerow H Ryder United Kingdom 7 20-07-2005 05:50 PM
Pond sides....dry cement/dirt mix? Kevin Carbis Ponds 1 20-02-2003 12:03 AM